• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cwm Prysor Viadyct

joebassman

I walked the Cwn Prysor viaduct last September when I was on holiday in Wales. Is a beautiful structure and great to see it still standing, although I always feel sad whenever I see disused railway arcitecture.

I went the wrong way at first and walked for about a couple of miles up a steep hill thinking "this would have been a steep incline for a steam engine to climb." before realising I was going the wrong way.

I managed to climb down the embankment and take some photos underneath. I would have liked to stay longer and have taken more photos but it was getting dark and was raining. I didn't fancy trying to climb back up the embankment in the dark and wet, some of it was quite crumbly, and walking along the boggy trackbed, especially as my mother was with me.

Next time I will make sure I remember to wear wellies as the old trackbed gets rather boggy when its raining and my trainers wete pretty soaked.

I make no claims to posesses any photography skills and I was using an old Galaxy S9. That's my excuse anyway.

I don't know if anyone has posted any pics or videos of this viaduct before, but I thought I would share the ones I took.

Photos of viaduct

More photos of viaduct

Attachments

• Cym Prysor 1.jpg
    Cym Prysor 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • Cym Prysor 2.jpg
    Cym Prysor 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63
  • Cym Prysor 3.jpg
    Cym Prysor 3.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 65
  • Cym Prysor 4.jpg
    Cym Prysor 4.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 63
  • Cym Prysor 5.jpg
    Cym Prysor 5.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 55
  • Cym Prysor 6.jpg
    Cym Prysor 6.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 53
  • Cym Prysor 7.jpg
    Cym Prysor 7.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 54
  • Cym Prysor 8.jpg
    Cym Prysor 8.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 52
  • Cym Prysor 9.jpg
    Cym Prysor 9.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • Cym Prysor 10.jpg
    Cym Prysor 10.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 51
  • Cym Prysor 11.jpg
    Cym Prysor 11.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 52
  • Cym Prysor 12.jpg
    Cym Prysor 12.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cymroglan

I really enjoyed reading your account and viewing the photos which are really good. I remember being on an archaeologist guided walk near Trawsfynydd in the mid 1970s. After we had spent time looking at various (Roman?) earthworks in the area, he offered us a glimpse at more recent history with a walk on the Cwm Prysor viaduct. I remember being very impressed with it. I didn’t have a camera with me then and my memory is bound to be unreliable, but the viaduct doesn’t seem to have changed very much in the half century or so between your visit and mine!

joebassman

I really enjoyed reading your account and viewing the photos which are really good. I remember being on an archaeologist guided walk near Trawsfynydd in the mid 1970s. After we had spent time looking at various (Roman?) earthworks in the area, he offered us a glimpse at more recent history with a walk on the Cwm Prysor viaduct. I remember being very impressed with it. I didn’t have a camera with me then and my memory is bound to be unreliable, but the viaduct doesn’t seem to have changed very much in the half century or so between your visit and mine!
Thanks. Yes the viaduct still looks in a great condition, if rather forlorn looking all on her own with a load of sheep and their poop on top.

I'm not sure she would be fit to take the weight of trains again, not that there's much chance of the line ever reopening.