• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cycle Bag Searching at Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
How many ira attacks have there been in the last 30 years?
Assuming this is a comment on the quote, Thomas Jefferson has been dead for about 200 years - it doesn’t affect the veracity (or otherwise) of what he said. Having a check carried out on some panniers is hardly a massive assault on anyone’s liberty - but does show that checks are carried out.

Oxfordblues

I wonder of this suspicion of cycles is from the perspective of a motorist who sees his road-space being taken up by cycle lanes and priority given to cyclists at junctions and on city-centre streets. He's perhaps developed a hatred of cyclists and this is one way to get his own back?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I wonder of this suspicion of cycles is from the perspective of a motorist who sees his road-space being taken up by cycle lanes and priority given to cyclists at junctions and on city-centre streets. He's perhaps developed a hatred of cyclists and this is one way to get his own back?

Or simply that it's incongruous to take action against abandoned bags but ignore abandoned bags that are attached to bicycles?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Glad someone quoted Jefferson, yes we need to be eternally vigilant against the petty-state's arbitary searches of (some) private property, easy to forget it.

It is also a state where everyone is so het up on civil liberty and too busy wearing their tin foil hats that they don't notice that they are enabling the lowest common denominators in society.

I fully understand that there is a belief that everyone is coming for me and that robin reliant never had a bomb so it will never ever happen in the future but sadly, this isn't the case. The world is full of hatred and vengeance with those 'Hippies' throwing paint and glueing themselves to trains and those who wish to bomb a pop concert. Drug dealing is commonplace, knives and machetes are being used on trains, passengers are getting raped, mugged and generally assaulted but woe betide someone checking a panier because it infringes upon somes delicate snowflake sensibility, or social justice warriors manifesto.

But yes, one day they will 'come for me'

farleigh

Maybe we have never suffered a 'pannier bomb' outrage because railway platform staff are foiling all of the attempts.*
*Unaware if panniers were checked in Vietnam or Coventry in 1939.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Or simply that it's incongruous to take action against abandoned bags but ignore abandoned bags that are attached to bicycles?
Is the right answer IMHO. (I only used to leave some very tatty wet gear in my panniers, which anyone was welcome to inspect or nick if they were that desperate.)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Four pages in and we’re starting to go around circles a bit now, so I think we’ll call it a day on this one.

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.