• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CZ/SK Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veteran Member
Hi all, and especially people like @Shredder who know the railways in Czechia and Slovakia!

I'm heading there next month with an Interrail. Most of the trip is planned, but I'm toying over two routes that have a bit of loco haulage and are new track for me:
SK Presov-Humenne (only 1tpd not a unit) and Kosice-Humenne
CZ Ostrava-Frydek-Frenstat-Valasske Mezirici

Unfortunately from a haulage viewpoint both will have to be during the week.

Has anyone done those lines? Are they worth it for scenery and gradients?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Richard Scott

Established Member
Hi all, and especially people like @Shredder who know the railways in Czechia and Slovakia!

I'm heading there next month with an Interrail. Most of the trip is planned, but I'm toying over two routes that have a bit of loco haulage and are new track for me:
SK Presov-Humenne (only 1tpd not a unit) and Kosice-Humenne
CZ Ostrava-Frydek-Frenstat-Valasske Mezirici

Unfortunately from a haulage viewpoint both will have to be during the week.

Has anyone done those lines? Are they worth it for scenery and gradients?

Thanks in advance.
Don't worry about gradients, Goggles are so quiet you won't hear them anyway! Done Kosice to Humenne and a pleasant run. Follow the Russian gauge line for part of the route, if memory serves me correctly.

SeanG

Established Member
I hear that the Class 749 Grumpy locos are worth getting - but not sure how to find out the services that the operate now that Vagonweb does not cover CZ

dutchflyer

Established Member
As an aside-perhaps useful to know: both countries (in CZ only valid on CD-not the others) offer a cheap summerticket-for 7 days (or more) for around 30€ each, valid in all trains, in CZ pay extra for pendolino. ´Jizdenky na leto´=ticket for summer, not easy to find on /en/ side of their sites.

Established Member
I hear that the Class 749 Grumpy locos are worth getting - but not sure how to find out the services that the operate now that Vagonweb does not cover CZ

Only the KZC weekend trains (Praha-Mseno, Mikolasovice and Kralovice) are with looking at. If possible avoid the Kralovice as it’s usually 749259 which they are nursing through to overhaul but Satalice bank on the others should give a short blast of thrash with most drivers at least.

CD only have the silenced 749264 in traffic currently and it’s abysmal. It tends to work the Blatna with the Cercany turn a goggle.

If you use the CD app it’s three clicks to get the the summer ticket
Tickets
E-shop
Ticket for Summer is third one down

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Cheers

Do you know how to search for services by each type of train on there?
Unfortunately not but have a look here:

Some of the higher numbered ones (eg the 09:23 from Praha hl.n on weekends only) are 749 operated. There's usually a 749 diagram and a 754 diagram on a weekend.

On Moderation
Cheers

Do you know how to search for services by each type of train on there?
You may find this site of use: http://sledovani.55p.cz/
It has details of actual allocations where they are reported, but also the loco diagrams for most loco types in Czechia and Slovakia.

You may also be interested in the 'cdgen' group on groups.io which has loco diagrams in its files area.

Veteran Member
Thanks all (and any future contributors).

I have deleted the Ostrava route from my plans.

The tip off about the Kralovice was useful, as it was/is in the plan, as is the Mikulasovice - might switch to the Mseno, as both are taking unusual routes out of Prague owing to engineering.

Established Member
For anyone with an interest in track, industry or the general background of the area, I would recommend the summer weekend tours around the AWT freight network. They sell out so do book in advance, but they are happy for this to be arranged as pay on the day.

Richard Scott

Established Member
For anyone with an interest in track, industry or the general background of the area, I would recommend the summer weekend tours around the AWT freight network. They sell out so do book in advance, but they are happy for this to be arranged as pay on the day.

Thanks for info on that, didn't know about those. What's usual traction for these trains?

D6130

Established Member
Also worth looking at Russell Sedgwick's ('Schwartz's) 'Grumpy Railtours' for rare track hauled by unsilenced class 749/751/754 diesel locos and occasional brewery visits....and a supply of good Czech beer always available on board his charter trains!

Status
Not open for further replies.