• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Danger warning to drivers who jump lights at Insch crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.

philthetube

Established Member
My YT suggestions full of these now. It’s amazing there aren’t more accidents.

I presume automatically operated crossings that go down when the train is maybe 20 seconds before aren’t used in these urban areas? Otherwise it would be carnage on a daily basis.

watching these clips it seems to me as if part of the problem is the barrier lowering sequence, people know that if they go through the first they will get through the second, I am not, however suggesting that this should change as I think this would be more dangerous but if it were it would reduce this behaviour.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
I presume automatically operated crossings that go down when the train is maybe 20 seconds before aren’t used in these urban areas? Otherwise it would be carnage on a daily basis.
I find this quite odd as I'm used to pretty much all gated level crossings in Australia being equipped only with automatic half-barriers, even in urban areas. I've no doubt that people still chance them but I'm genuinely curious as to how attitudes to a similar risk have ended up so far apart.

ricoblade

Mount Pleasant crossing between Northam and St. Denys, controlled from Eastleigh and very busy for trains and not too shabby for vehicles either. The barriers are down for quite a bit of each hour, to say the least.
Botany Bay crossing north of Retford on the ECML can have the barriers down for quite a while. My record is waiting for 6 trains to pass but it's quite often 2 or 3. Luckily it's on a back road and easily avoided if you don't want to take the risk.

matchmaker

Established Member
You reap what you sow. After years of misuse of the AHB crossing at Cornton (even after red light cameras were installed), a full barrier crossing is being installed:

Stirling Observer

Quote from the above:

New safety measures at Cornton level crossing could see barriers down for a total of almost 50 minutes in an hour - and at best 30 minutes.

Stirling Council officials are set to warn councillors of the longer-term impact the works could have on peaktime traffic and alternative routes.

And they say while the current crossing sees the barrier down for five minutes in the hour, that could be multiplied tenfold.
NR wanted a bridge, but local residents objected as the route for pedestrians would be longer!

Botany Bay crossing north of Retford on the ECML can have the barriers down for quite a while. My record is waiting for 6 trains to pass but it's quite often 2 or 3. Luckily it's on a back road and easily avoided if you don't want to take the risk.
One of the worst, possibly the worst, is the combination on Vine Road in southwest London which has the misfortune of crossing the main line from London to Richmond, Twickenham and Windsor/Reading and the Hounslow Loop in very short succession. I well remember a friend complaining of how many times he'd been caught at both crossings in succession for multiple trains to pass

Quite shocking really, surprised to see a Network Rail van disregarding the warning lights and also all the pedestrians ignoring the lights just because they couldn’t be bothered to use the adjacent footbridge.

philthetube

Established Member
Level crossing lights, unlike traffic lights, apply to pedestrians as well as road traffic.
I wonder what percentage of the population know that, I didn't and have driven trains buses and have been a pedestrian.

Pakenhamtrain

I find this quite odd as I'm used to pretty much all gated level crossings in Australia being equipped only with automatic half-barriers, even in urban areas. I've no doubt that people still chance them but I'm genuinely curious as to how attitudes to a similar risk have ended up so far apart.
We followed the American practice. I guess for Victoria made a bit of sense given they adopted american style speed signalling.

In Melbourne the first automatic boom gates were at Toorak Road on the Glen Waverley line. Funny enough now the crossing is now gone and the train flies over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.