• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dan's somewhat random trips out

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramdan

Ok so I'm new to this trip reporting business but after being featured in one of TC60054's recent postings in this place, I thought I'd better start writing something here. This is yesterday's trip around the West Midlands. It ended up just a bit longer than I expected!

07/03/17

The general idea for today's came out of an invitation from a mate to meet up in Birmingham for a little bash around the area. I had originally planned to catch the 0713 service towards Sheffield from my home station of Worksop but decided late the night before to drop back to the 0813 instead.

I arrived at the booking office in good time and took care to carefully explain exactly what ticketing arrangement I was working with. From Worksop I typically split my fare at Derby to Birmingham so Anytime Day Returns from WRK to DBY and DBY to Birmingham Stations were duly purchased, alongside my usual West Midlands Day Ranger. Total damage was £43.15. The 0813 turned up to depart bang on time in the form of thoroughly dud 142 095. Not a particularly bad unit for a 142, but much better things were to follow. Whilst on this journey I tried something I hadn't before, CrossCountry's 10 minute reservation system. I had always been sceptical of this system and its necessity however I managed to work out how to reserve myself a seat for the next move on winner 220 025 from Sheffield to Birmingham New Street.

On arrival at New Street I decided to see if I could win some more ATW 158s. There was a fair chance as I had only had four of them to date so I headed to platform 6 to join the 1025 Aberystwyth and Pwllheli service as far as Smethwick Galton Bridge. Winners 158 835 and 158 838 did the honours. Smethwick Galton Bridge station is not known for its picturesque location, nor its tropical temperatures, so I was lucky to be able to make quite a smart connection onto dud 172 341 for a run into Moor Street.

I was quite pleased with myself at this point, having timed it to arrive at Moor Street with 6 minutes to change onto the 1055 68 hauled Marylebone service. However as our departure time at Snow Hill came and went, I was getting increasingly concerned. My concern was not helped by the guard announcing at 1 min late that there was a problem with the train and that a fitter was attending to it. I had pretty much given up hope on the 68 by this point however as if by some miracle only moments later we began towards Moor Street.

Arriving at Moor Street with only 4 mins to go and being stuck behind the crowds of early shoppers was a pain, but with only a minute or so to spare before departure time I jumped onto the mk3s in front of dud 68 014. I would ideally have liked to win a 68 here but no matter, I had yet another stupidly tight connection to try yet! 014 was taken to the limit of the West Midlands Day Ranger at Leamington Spa and a very rapid dash through the subway to the opposite platform brought me onto winner 68 011 back to Moor Street.

By this time I was starting to wonder at what time I would be meeting up with my mate who had spent his morning on the RMT protest in Liverpool against the prosecution of brother Martin Zee. Contact was made and I established that I had nearly two hours to kill before he would be at New Street.

On arrival at Moor Street I decided that I would go for something a little different so made the change onto yet another dud, 172 343. (My luck with the winners was to change). This took me forwards to Stourbridge Junction. Smooth connection was made here over to Platform 1 for the 1235 to Stourbridge Town, formed of 139 001. The 139s had been swapped over early in the morning owing to a gas leak on 002 so although both have been dud for a long while I took the opportunity to get a good ride on 001, my first in a little while. After two round trips and some jovial conversation with the crew, I alighted back at Junction to join winners 172 222 and 172 220 towards Smethwick Galton Bridge to meet my mate on his train down from Liverpool.

En route, I realised that I was going to arrive at SGB with 25 minutes to wait, so by way of reducing that ordeal, I decided to bail at Rowley Regis for the following service, only 8 minutes behind. 8 minutes later and what should turn up? But by now thoroughly dud 172 343, yet again! Arriving at SGB with 15 minutes to kill was better than 25, but by the time my next move had bothered to show up in the form of 350 246 I had just about frozen through. My mate duly located in his favourite spot on 350s, the short hop was made into New Street, whilst I thawed out a little.

A break was had then with a trip to Greggs and various other bits of faffing about before we made our way back to New Street to "find another train to ride on".

Wandering down to the platforms I spotted something that I have never had before, a London Midland 150, so the decision was made to take the trip on the 1448 Hereford as far as University to win 150 105. This is as far as anyone ever needs to go on a 150. In fact at 2mi 49ch it is approximately 2mi 48ch too far. Luckily at University I could finally get to ticking off some more interesting traction, so it was onto 323s. I won't detail the next bit fully but suffice to say we shuttled between University and Five Ways a number of times, UNI-FWY-UNI-FWY-UNI-FWY-UNI, winning 323 206, 323 201, 323 202, 323 214, 323 209, 323 221, and 323 211 in the process. On arrival back at University we decided to head back to New Street for a trip to Boots before our next planned move, so winners 323 222 and 323 217 did the honours.

The next planned move was onto the 1633 as far as Leamington Spa formed of winner 220 021. This was planned to allow us to join the 1726 68 hauled service all the way to its terminus at Kidderminster. Use was made of the pleasantly heated waiting rooms at Leamington Spa before dud 68 013 arrived to take us onward. Over the course of this journey it got progressively darker outside until we arrived at Kidderminster in the pitch black. My mate now having a new appreciation for the 68s, after watching it depart we crossed to the opposite platform to await our next train. I was pleased when a 6 car formation of dud 172 332 and winner 172 338 arrived to take us, once again forward to Smethwick Galton Bridge.

The third time in the day I'd been to Smethwick Galton Bridge, it had got slightly better to look at under the cover of darkness. Perhaps I'm overly harsh on it as I am generally a fan of the 90s architecture on the Snow Hill lines, it very much reminds me of my local Robin Hood line. We had a roughly 15 minute wait again before my final winning 323 of the day arrived to take us forward to New Street in the form of 323 212.

My homeward train was due to depart first, so on it's arrival into the platform at New Street we parted company and I joined winner 221 141, a novel experience for me as this is a 4 car Super Voyager. Indeed there was a moment when I looked at the number, then counted the carriages, then looked back at the number before remembering this quirk of the Voyager fleet.

Finally arriving back in Sheffield for my longest wait yet, of nearly half an hour. I had a wander around the station before standing on the concourse, watching the world go by. After the almost uncontrollable excitement that is an empty Sheffield station on a Tuesday evening, I decided to wander over to platform 4 for my train. After the 185 to Cleethorpes had cleared off from P4 my ride home in the form of thoroughly dud 144 021 arrived. This being an ex Huddersfield service it was of course a 3 car 144 so as per usual I took my space in the centre car and began the process of trying to deal with the boredom that is the Sheffield to Lincoln line as far as Worksop. On arrival back at Worksop my car was still in the carpark, which is a bonus around these parts, so I took the short drive back home.

Total milage was 370mi 59ch with plenty of winners to keep me happy. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Welcome to the ever expanding trip reporters club.
A very interesting write up there, I look forward to more of the same.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A great first report there! If you had a WMDR, why did you get a ticket from Derby to Brum instead of Derby to Tamworth though? That would've saved some cash. I'm glad to see the best cat, 68014, featured, and I know that connection at Leam well - I've never missed it though. Finally, I hate the way you got to and from Brum - there's nothing wrong with getting the 08:08 or 11:08 arrivals, and the 16:03 or 19:03 departures! Oh, and I'm glad you also think that the LM 150s are terrible.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
A great first report there! If you had a WMDR, why did you get a ticket from Derby to Brum instead of Derby to Tamworth though? That would've saved some cash.

Only 1tp2h from Sheffield to Birmingham have a Tamworth call, with no Reading services stopping except the odd early morning and late evening one so its probably been for convenience! Edit- I'm sure that the new NRCoT mean that this isn't needed anymore!

Sounds like a great day otherwise, I'm glad that Cross City didn't fall over for you like it tends to do for me!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tramdan

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone, when I started writing I really wasn't sure if I was going to turn out something decent!

I look forward to writing about future trips, although on occasions when I head out with TC60054, I'll still leave it to him. We wouldn't want to tread on his toes would we? :lol:

If you had a WMDR, why did you get a ticket from Derby to Brum instead of Derby to Tamworth though?

As rg177 has already pointed out, sheer convenience to be honest. One of my other ways of doing this day out is via Nottingham, and of course the Nottingham XC services call at Tamworth, so I would do on that occasion.

I hate the way you got to and from Brum - there's nothing wrong with getting the 08:08 or 11:08 arrivals, and the 16:03 or 19:03 departures! Oh, and I'm glad you also think that the LM 150s are terrible.

All about the connection to and from the Worksop trains I'm afraid, and about when I wanted to travel. I can get the XC HSTs anytime on local trips so I'm not fussed about changing my whole day out around them. I also happen to think that with a reserved seat and careful choice of timed trains the Voyagers are actually thoroughly pleasant to travel on. I find the seats comfortable with ample leg room which is more than my 6' 4" frame can say about a lot of trains.

A side note on 150s, I hate them all, including the LM ones. Small concession for the ATW ones which are the least worst of the bunch. :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh dear, we could have a falling out, as I love 150s! Yes I know there's not many of us, and even I, after 5 hours of the same 150, would declare that to be enough. However I still like them!

At least you have good taste with the 323s! That being said, 319s on AC and 365s on AC power (not had a 365 on DC admittedly) are taking over as favourite EMU slowly...

Other than that, welcome to the trip reporters club! On the trips you make with TC I reckon you should still do your own trip report, your own spin on things (especially when you find your preferred style of writing) would be good to read :)

TC60054

At least you have good taste with the 323s! That being said, 319s on AC and 365s on AC power (not had a 365 on DC admittedly) are taking over as favourite EMU slowly...

Probably an exceptionally good reason behind that one there, Tech. You know, maybe something along the lines of the fact that 365s aren't dual voltage perhaps? ;)

noddy1878

Established Member
Good day out there. Enjoyable read.

Probably an exceptionally good reason behind that one there, Tech. You know, maybe something along the lines of the fact that 365s aren't dual voltage perhaps? ;)

They used to be though.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
As rg177 has already pointed out, sheer convenience to be honest. One of my other ways of doing this day out is via Nottingham, and of course the Nottingham XC services call at Tamworth, so I would do on that occasion.

All about the connection to and from the Worksop trains I'm afraid, and about when I wanted to travel. I can get the XC HSTs anytime on local trips so I'm not fussed about changing my whole day out around them. I also happen to think that with a reserved seat and careful choice of timed trains the Voyagers are actually thoroughly pleasant to travel on. I find the seats comfortable with ample leg room which is more than my 6' 4" frame can say about a lot of trains.

A side note on 150s, I hate them all, including the LM ones. Small concession for the ATW ones which are the least worst of the bunch. :D
The new conditions of travel mean that the train doesn't have to stop at Tamworth to make it valid ;)

I also hate all 150s except the ATW ones, which I'm quite fond of on branch lines.

TC60054

NRCoT 14.2 states

If you are using a Season Ticket, daily Zonal Ticket, or another area based
Ticket such as a concessionary pass, ranger or rover in conjunction with
another Ticket and the last station at which one Ticket is valid and the first
station that the other Ticket is valid are the same, then the train does not
need to call at that station for your combination to be valid.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/Conditions of Travel 2016.pdf

Must've forgotten to mention it in the past, I'm not sorry ;)

tramdan

13/03/17 Cheshire Day Ranger - It got a bit out of hand...

Yesterday the plan was for a simple Cheshire Day Ranger, taking advantage of the fact that all the normals would be scared off by the Northern and Merseyrail strikes, leaving the rail network for us to enjoy uninterrupted.

I have a number of ways of accessing the rail network from my home in Worksop, and with our service to Sheffield being severely limited to a small number of management worked trains, I decided to drive over to the Halfway Supertram terminus for the half hour or so journey to Sheffield Station. I do this regularly and I think that £4.50 for a day of parking and unlimited tram travel is superb value.

I joined the 0717 service with 111 from Halfway and after meeting my mate at Beighton tramstop en route, we made good time to Sheffield Station. On arrival at Sheffield we picked up tickets to allow us to get to the edge of the ranger area, at Stockport. Of course, we also took this opportunity to purchase our Cheshire Day Rangers.

The chosen service to begin the day was the 0804 TPE service which was slightly less busy than on previous occasions I have caught it. (for 'less busy' read, 'wasn't completely rammed and we could at least find an empty piece of floor to sit on'). This was formed of dud (they all are now!) 185 132. On arrival at Stockport we immediately made our way over to Platform 2 for the 0904 VT to Crewe formed of required 390 154. There was a very high chance that this would be the longest, or indeed only 390 journey of they day, although as we'll discover later this turned out to be certainly not the case!

On arrival at Crewe we met up with a good mate who was serving his time on a quiet spare duty in the mess room, and was more than keen to come down for a chat. While chatting away, the displays on platform 5 were consulted and it was decided that we should head over towards platform 9 to see what had made its way onto the Chester shuttle. After a relaxed saunter over the station we arrived just in time to see required 175 008 arrive into the bay. We bid my mate farewell for him to enjoy the rest of his spare shift and we joined 008 for the short trip over to Chester.

On this journey a careful plan was formulated. On arrival at Chester we would have a little wait before joining the 1024 to Shotton, arriving at 1033 with a 5 minute connection onto the 1038 back to Chester. However a few minutes before the 1024 was due to arrive into Chester, we noticed that the platform displays had begun to report it as delayed. Indeed many services around the station had become delayed, due to signalling problems.

A quick change of plan, although handily not platform, was to the 1035 back to Crewe on which dud 221 114 arrived on time. The annoying thing was that at this point I had only had 2 of Virgin's 221 fleet, and this was one of them! The strange thing being that the last time I'd had it was from Chester to Crewe also! A short while later and on the approach to Crewe we realised that the next Chester bound Voyager service had not yet departed platform 11 so thanks to it's eventual 7 minute delay we were able to make this usually impossible connection! Lucky this was too, as it was with winners 221 101 and 221 142. Now back at Chester again we made smooth connection onto our next and final Voyager of the day, winner 221 113 as far as Crewe.

Even I have a maximum tolerance for Voyagers and as another outrageously lucky connection wasn't to be forthcoming for a second time, it was decided to do a return trip to Stoke-on-Trent. Unfortunately for me the 1202 to Euston was not only dud but it was my least favourite subclass of 350, a /2 in the form of 350 242. This was taken forwards to Stoke and after my companion made a trip for some food, we took the underpass to platform 2 for the 1234 EMT dogbox back to Crewe. I was slightly less unhappy about this move as it was winner 153 355 that took us forward.

Whilst we had been changing trains at Stoke, my mate at Crewe had finished work so arrangements were made for us to make the quick change at Crewe between platforms 4 and 3 and onto yet another dud, 350 116. At this point we paused our existing Cheshire Day Ranger trip and decided as a three to head towards Rugby, for the sake of the run out if nothing else.

Whilst flying along the Trent Valley with the 350 making an excellent long distance train, as they do so very well indeed, I floated the idea with the other gents about remaining with the train all the way into Euston, for the mileage and the fact that I had never actually travelled into this particular terminus. Timetables were consulted and we remained with 116 all the way into Euston, arriving 2h 48m after leaving Crewe.

A quick turnaround at Euston was desired so return transportation was rapidly sought and found in the form of yet another dud in 390 043 on the 1607 Liverpool. It was decided to do this in its entirety so after a very pleasant journey indeed we arrived at Liverpool, dropping back onto the CDR at Crewe.

From Liverpool we began to find our journey home so after splitting from our Crewe based colleague we joined the 1852 Nottingham, formed of 158 865 and 158 866. This is the first EMT of the evening from Lime Street that doesn't continue to Norwich, the last such service being the 1752 off Lime Street. I happen to really like this service as for me it is the perfect demonstration of the 158 units doing exactly what they were designed for.

The journey to Sheffield was fairly uneventful except from Manchester Oxford Road where we picked up yet another stray mate who had spent an hour on trams in Manchester city centre. We eventually arrived at Sheffield at booked time, which just happens to be roughly the same time as a tram departure for Halfway. Thanks to the excellent Supertram timetable we had 20 minutes to wait, however eventually 103 arrived to take us back to Beighton and Halfway for me. As with my last trip report, all that was left was for me to drive home from Halfway.

Total mileage was 627mi 60ch, pretty damn good for what started as just a Cheshire Day Ranger day out!

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a good day out there. Doing a 350 from Crewe to Euston just for the hell of it (how much did that cost?) is utterly crazy, and I certainly have to disagree with you about 350s being good intercity trains - they should just be used for short hop commuter journeys, like London to Tring.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like an interesting day with a diversion to Euston. On the bright side at least it wasn't Sunday where the Crewe - Eustons go via Northampton to form a semi-fast afterwards ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's a long trip from Crewe to Euston, just to score a new terminal, on a 350! Still, it sounds like it was a good social :)

Established Member
I'd remove the mention of the ticket to Stockport-that's a nice little loophole, and one which I'm sure TPE would love to shut down :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'd remove the mention of the ticket to Stockport-that's a nice little loophole, and one which I'm sure TPE would love to shut down :)

Cue the next routing guide updates with the introduction of that fare becoming "Via Denby Dale" to force passengers to go via the Penistone line ;)

shredder1

Established Member
Last edited:

tramdan

I certainly have to disagree with you about 350s being good intercity trains - they should just be used for short hop commuter journeys, like London to Tring.

I would be in agreement with you about the /2s owing to their 3+2 seating layout, however the other subclasses, particularly the /4s with TPE are very agreeable long distance units and they are all comfortable and quiet. My preference is generally to use First Class for journeys of any significant distance on 350s which is most agreeable indeed. (Although of course not to the very high standards of an intercity TOC.)

That's a long trip from Crewe to Euston, just to score a new terminal, on a 350! Still, it sounds like it was a good social :)

Prior to that day I had travelled out of Euston twice but never into the station. The first time was a couple of years ago on the Caledonian Sleeper and the second time was in the middle of last year and that was only with London Overground as far as Harrow and Wealdstone. The run in was therefore required :D.

For me these trips are more of a social event than anything else, hence I practically never do them alone. For this reason I prefer a day of long runs than short point to point bashing.

Edited out, although if anyone at TPE is reading this, hi! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.