• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Darlington Line Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serathor

Hi Apologies if this has been asked before, I searched briefly but could not find anything.

Does anyone know what is happening at Darlington station, I drove over the bridge on Haughton Road this morning, and briefly saw what appears the track (highlighted in red area) dug up.
As I was driving I did not get a proper look it's a shame if more track is being taken away, is it to make way for more commercial/ housing development or part of the talked about station upgrade?

Many Thanks in advance.

Dton railway.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wallan

Hi Apologies if this has been asked before, I searched briefly but could not find anything.

Does anyone know what is happening at Darlington station, I drove over the bridge on Haughton Road this morning, and briefly saw what appears the track (highlighted in red area) dug up.
As I was driving I did not get a proper look it's a shame if more track is being taken away, is it to make way for more commercial/ housing development or part of the talked about station upgrade?

Many Thanks in advance.

View attachment 86416

Extending the Siding,s / Run Round to accomodate longer freight liners ?

SargeNpton

Established Member
Is it connected to this?...

Darlington is a congested location on the railway network with no capacity to accommodate more trains. To enable the growth in train services in the coming years, improvements are required. Work has identified that a new station is required on the Neasham Road side of the east coast mainline to accommodate both local and national services. The new station will require new platforms, a new station building, parking and an interchange for passengers. There are also improvements planned within the existing station and at the other entrances.

On the 27 January 2020 an outline business case was sent to Government requesting £80m to make the project a reality. A total of £25million had previously been earmarked by the Mayor and Tees Valley Combined Authority to help deliver the vision for the station. On 4 February, plans for its use were put to Darlington Borough Council’s Cabinet for approval. Work is now progressing on developing the detailed proposals and additional land around the station is required to allow the development to take place.

Darandio

Established Member
Extending the Siding,s / Run Round to accomodate longer freight liners ?

I'm not sure that is likely, it's only really been used in recent years to store hoppers when traffic dried up.

Is it connected to this?...

Doubtful, it's half a mile from the station.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Half a mile away is not that far if they need to re-jig the station approach for the extra platforms.

Darandio

Established Member
Indeed, but work isn't scheduled to start on that until 2023. You can also guarantee Ben Houchen would have been there to kick it all off with a golden spade and camera crew.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Very surprised at that.
Why surprised? This is a 'quick win', 'low-hanging fruit' job. Because of gauge restrictions through Yarm Tunnel most intermodal trains to/from Teesport have to run round at Darlington. The restricted length of the loop constrains train length.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Why surprised? This is a 'quick win', 'low-hanging fruit' job. Because of gauge restrictions through Yarm Tunnel most intermodal trains to/from Teesport have to run round at Darlington. The restricted length of the loop contains train length.

Surprised because I didn't realise that was the case now, it certainly wasn't always that way. The only restriction I was aware of previously was the tunnel at Longlands meaning container trains came off at Northallerton East and joined the main at Northallerton High. Is this because of new/different wagons used now?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Surprised because I didn't realise that was the case now, it certainly wasn't always that way. The only restriction I was aware of previously was the tunnel at Longlands meaning container trains came off at Northallerton East and joined the main at Northallerton High. Is this because of new/different wagons used now?
Presumably because of more modern types of slightly taller and wider containers and swap-bodies, W10 and W12 gauge on specific types of wagon.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
It’s being relaid with new track, ballast and sleepers. Some of the stuff that has been ripped up was in pretty poor condition to be fair. Wether the new formation takes future station delevopment into account I cannot say tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.