• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Darlington - Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serathor

Hi
Sorry if this is a silly question.

I was thinking of going from Darlington to Newcastle this week, during the week, and a little bored of travelling up this section of the ECML

I considered going to Darlington - Thornaby, and then Thornaby to Newcastle which goes up the Durham coast.

I've never been on this route before, thought it might be a bit different than doing the usual up the ECML.. as much as I love the stock on the ECML especially the Class 91s I do like travelling the tees valley line (class 153 to Thornaby, as no unfortunately no pacers any more) and what ever loco runs the route from Thornaby to Newcastle.

Has anyone done it before, is it worth it? should I not bother and just take the quicker ECML.

What rolling stock am I likely to get?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markindurham

If the weather's kind, the Durham Coast line is quite scenic for most of its length. Well worth a trip out.

Not as spectacular as the view across Durham City as you come out of the cutting just south of Durham station and onto the viaduct, when on northbound trains on the ECML, I suggest - but then I might be (slightly) biased! :D

Mark

Serathor

Thanks all, I will look into the day rover - Yes I agree the view of Durham Cathedral & Durham from the viaduct is absolutely stunning.

xotGD

Established Member
Close your eyes as you pass through Sunderland ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.