• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dartford to Denmark Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Best of luck, although I'm sure you won't need it :)

Hmmm. Not quite going smoothly, but I'm sure it won't be long now. Laura has been discussing options with me and PM'd me progress earlier today. This is the email that was sent to ATOC:
Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to enquire as to the permitted routes from Slade Green to Denmark Hill.

I believe that the shortest route between these two stations is 14 miles via Abbey Wood, Charlton and Lewisham. I am of the opinion that I am able to travel via Dartford and Bexleyheath as this route is 16.25 miles so is within 3 miles of the shortest route. I also believe that I can travel through Dartford as a result of the map NK, which can be found in section D of your routeing guide, which shows this as a permitted route.

Am I correct in thinking that my season ticket allows me to enter and exit at Dartford as season tickets permit unlimited journeys with no break of journey restrictions on permitted routes between origin & destination stations.

I would be grateful if you could confirm whether I am correct and clarify all permitted routes that I could use on a weekly or monthly ticket between Slade Green and Denmark Hill.

Kind regards

Laura

The response earlier today was:
Dear Laura.

Thank you for your enquiry.

I can confirm that a season ticket from Slade Green to Denmark Hill does allow you to travel via Dartford as a permitted route.

You are also correct in saying you can break your journey at Dartford.

Kind regards

Katie Evans
ATOC Customer Relations

Later on Laura heard that the appeal had been rejected because she did not enclose a copy of the ticket. She's going to appeal again with a copy of the ticket and the response from ATOC above.

Unfortunately, I think the bit in bold from this post will become more meaningful:
As things stand this route is permitted so the Penalty Fare should be challenged as it has been incorrectly issued.

I think there will be some changes to the routeing guide at some point in the future. However, any ticket bought before the guide is changed remains valid until it's expiry.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They can't prevent the shortest route being valid without asking for DfT permission to change the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. If they try that, we'll pull out all the stops to prevent them and make a huge fuss over it.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They can't prevent the shortest route being valid without asking for DfT permission to change the National Rail Conditions of Carriage. If they try that, we'll pull out all the stops to prevent them and make a huge fuss over it.

Of course. Does that include routes no more than 3 miles longer as well?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Of course. Does that include routes no more than 3 miles longer as well?
I'd hope so, as it would be a bit absurd otherwise, as in some cases it forces people to use a particular curve or bit of track that is only used by very few trains per day.

Laura

Since receiving notification from the ATOC i have been coming in and out of the station at dartford and have so far had no problems. I was stopped by an RPI on Tuesday evening but he agreed that the only way to use my ticket was to come via dartford. He adcised me to carry a copy of the email with my ticket which i have been doing.

I shall let you know when I receive a response, hopefully they don't remove the route although i suspect they shall look into it.

island

Veteran Member
They can't "remove the route" as it's less than 3 miles over the shortest route. Even a negative easement would be of dubious enforceability.

Has the penalty fare been sorted out?

Laura

I received notification yesterday from IFPAS that my appeal has been successful! Hopefully they don't take away the use of this route.

THank you to you all for your help.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I meant IFPAS even!

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
I received notification yesterday from IFPAS that my appeal has been successful! Hopefully they don't take away the use of this route.

THank you to you all for your help.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I meant IFPAS even!

Well done - glad to hear that the right outcome was reached :)

Status
Not open for further replies.