• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dawlish works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russel

Hello,

I'll be spending a week in Dawlish in mid August, I'm aware there is a lot of work going on and I'm wondering, what stage will the works be at by the time I visit?

I believe there is currently limited access to the sea front as the footpath under the rail bridge is closed.

I've had a look at the South West improvements page on the Network Rail site but it doesn't give much of an idea about timescale.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I’ve no detailed knowledge for August but I walked from Teignmouth to Dawlish Warren a few weeks back. The only bit along the front that was closed was by Dawlish station on the seaward side, but that’s easy to get around walking the other side of the track and back over the bridge just Exeter side of Dawlish station.

The walk from Teignmouth to Dawlish takes you inland after a while, past where NR are constructing a kind of avalanche shelter to protect the line from falling rocks. That part of the walk is quite hilly, but you can get back to the sea wall then walk under the railway by Dawlish station.

Hopefully the access is no worse in August.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
There are two webcams at Dawlish: one at Marine Parade and one at the Warren (the latter may have Railroad at the end of the title). How you get to them and which option you use to watch I leave to someone more computer-literate than me (i.e. just about anyone). The Marine Parade one appeared to be showing some work alongside the line last time I looked.

(I get to them after looking at Finse station in Norway and following from there. Last time I may have chosen the Warren but found it showing Marine Parade.)

eastdyke

Established Member
Hello,

I'll be spending a week in Dawlish in mid August, I'm aware there is a lot of work going on and I'm wondering, what stage will the works be at by the time I visit?

I believe there is currently limited access to the sea front as the footpath under the rail bridge is closed.

I've had a look at the South West improvements page on the Network Rail site but it doesn't give much of an idea about timescale.

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.

The YouTube link to the Sea Breeze webcam is here:

For best viewing select fullscreen and adjust the -> settings -> quality to 1080HD

Around every 2-4 weeks the Webcams team do a video walkthrough with the excellent Jack Brookes of BAM NUTTALL. Links can be found to the right side of the YouTube webcam page [note - but not on this embedded view!].
This is the most recent that I have seen:

If you keep a regular check you will see the latest works and an indication of those upcoming from the videos.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Without checking back through the linked video, I think the BAM Nuttall rep said the access restriction under the bridge would not be continuous during the closure period, ie it would be opened with a temporary surface as and when available.

I think an earlier report suggested they were hoping the walkway between station and Coastguards bridge could be open for the summer holiday period, but I think that’s overtaken by events. They had a bit of a delay when the big excavator had a “traction failure”…

3973EXL

Established Member
South West Rail Resilience Programme

@SouthWestRRP

⛱️
Access at Colonnade underpass to the promenade and the beach at Dawlish will reopen at 7pm tonight until further notice.
1f9ba.png
We've found an uncharted, capped gas main. This means we can’t currently install foundations here, so we are able to keep a pathway open for the public.
Twitter post 17/06 https://twitter.com/SouthWestRRP

Poster on Twitter 01/07

South West Rail Resilience Programme

@SouthWestRRP

️
The underpass at Colonnade giving access to King’s Walk promenade and the beach in #Dawlish is open this weekend (2/3 July) and will remain open into next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.