• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Pass for WYPTE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Perhaps the aptly named West Yorkshire Train Day Rover. Valid in nearly the entire WYPTE area (apart from zones 6 & 7) on any train after 09:30 Monday to Friday and any train after 05:00 on weekends and public holidays. For a child it costs £2.65. There is another version that includes bus travel as well but costs more and doesn't have a child discounted version (so you would pay the hugely expensive price of £6.20 :lol:). Seriously I forget how rediculously good value these rovers are.

John @ home

Established Member

Established Member
IIRC you can only get the photocard if you live in the WY area, so bit unfortunate that he lives in Manchester. Still should be a cheap enough fare to the boundary.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Being pedantic if using the train, first station the train stops at in the boundary

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There is another version that includes bus travel as well but costs more and doesn't have a child discounted version (so you would pay the hugely expensive price of £6.20 :lol:).
That's because, unless you look under 11 years old, bus drivers won't let you on a bus with a child ticket without ID in West Yorkshire.

In York, it is up to 13 years old, they are very strict but can't accurately guess people's ages so they reject 12 year olds without ID and accept 16 year olds without ID if they look older/younger than their age, I'm informed. (e.g. 2 twins both aged 16, one gets away with it, the other doesn't, though they are brothers they don't look like twins).

I got a bus on my own when I was 12 and then didn't again until I was about 19 because I had no reason to get on their rubbish buses, being slower and more expensive than going by bike. And if I was going somewhere long distance by train with family I'd have been in a car/taxi, a taxi is cheaper than the bus for a family of 4 in York. Therefore, I didn't really experience for myself how strict they are, but I heard.

Despite this, the buses are well loaded, this is due to a huge number of people who are eligible for free passes, and the unfortunate decline in people using the faster, cheaper mode of transport that is cycling.

Established Member
I was referring to the fact that he lives within the GMPTE boundary, so buying a Day Rover, in effect he'll have to do this from the first station within the WY boundary.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Despite this, the buses are well loaded, this is due to a huge number of people who are eligible for free passes, and the unfortunate decline in people using the faster, cheaper mode of transport that is cycling.

If we're still talking about York, most of the buses are well loaded as people are beginning to realise that drving in/through York is not a realistic option. Also, cycling is still on the increase, or at least CYC keeps telling me that it is.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Well if he lives in Manchester he would have to combine to the first train the train he chose he stops at within the boundary, for example on my line if he buys a WYPTE Train Dayrover and a ticket Manchester to Walsden (WY Metro Boundary) then the train has to stop at Walsden or an excess to Todmorden is payable (first station the train stops at in the boundary).

Same if he used TPE he would need a ticket to Huddersfield and not Marsden (frist WY station inside boundary) then the rover

You can buy the Train Dayrovers from any booking office or conductor, its just the combined train and bus ones that can only be bought in West Yorks

Sapphire Blue

Well if he lives in Manchester he would have to combine to the first train the train he chose he stops at within the boundary, for example on my line if he buys a WYPTE Train Dayrover and a ticket Manchester to Walsden (WY Metro Boundary) then the train has to stop at Walsden or an excess to Todmorden is payable (first station the train stops at in the boundary).

Same if he used TPE he would need a ticket to Huddersfield and not Marsden (frist WY station inside boundary) then the rover

You can buy the Train Dayrovers from any booking office or conductor, its just the combined train and bus ones that can only be bought in West Yorks

You can buy the combined ones at Barnsley station. (for use from Darton)

colpepper

A train originating outside the West Yorks boundary may not carry a Rover ticket, so you might have to purchase at a staffed station or post office.

Established Member
A train originating outside the West Yorks boundary may not carry a Rover ticket, so you might have to purchase at a staffed station or post office.

The Rover tickets can be done on normal stock, just it seems that most places still use the correct Rover stock.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

Indeed, that is incorrect. the West Yorkshire Train DayRovers can be purchased from ANY station booking office or from the Guard on ANY train, irrespective of whether that train is in, or even going to, West Yorkshire. The only caveat is that if being done outside West Yorkshire you need to have a ticket to get you there in the first place.

The only ones which can only be purchased in West Yorkshire (or a selection of other stations just outside the boundary such as Barnsley) are the ones which include bus travel. That is for no other reason other than bus drivers seem incapable of telling the difference between tickets when they are all printed on orange rail ticket stock, so special West Yorkshire branded tickets are required.

Established Member

Yes that is what I'm saying,a lthough I may have left out the part that he can buy one from the first station that the train calls at within the WY boundary. Of course he'll have to have a valid ticket to get to that station.

Status
Not open for further replies.