• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Rangers / Rovers etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay jay

Hi there, is it possible to purchase for example, a Heart of England rover at any staffed ticket office in the uk? I enquired about this today at the ticket office at Ashford and they said it is not possible and that they have never heard of it? I would rather purchase it before I travel up there to be honest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yes - it is possible but as always not all staff know how to do it!

When are you travelling?

I think I have seen a PDF document listing all the rangers & rovers and there relative information on prices etc... this may be useful - anyone got the link?

RJ

Established Member
Hi there, is it possible to purchase for example, a Heart of England rover at any staffed ticket office in the uk? I enquired about this today at the ticket office at Ashford and they said it is not possible and that they have never heard of it? I would rather purchase it before I travel up there to be honest.

Yes it is. It's a very straightforward process as well, it may require the clerk to search for the rover under the products/miscellaneous/other menus, whichever the TIS uses.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There shouldn't be a problem, but there is sometimes! I have come across staff who say you can't buy a day ranger outside it's area of validity, for example. I assume they genuinely believe this, due to deficiencies in training or misinformation and rumour on the railway grapevine! With modern technology it should be pretty easy to issue, although one clerk could not find the one I wanted on a list and had to ask. Apparently it's not called the same thing on the system!

tony_mac

Established Member
I've had lots of problems getting rovers issued from smaller stations.

Apparently some of the 'Freedom of...' rovers start with the word 'Freedom' on the system, and some of them don't have it. There also doesn't seem to be a standard way of abbreviating an area name.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, that sounds pretty familiar, I think that's what caused the confusion in my case!

Status
Not open for further replies.