• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day trip to Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

168lover

Hi all,

Next month my dad and I are off on a day trip to Edinburgh arriving into edinburgh at 06:00am on the 16th of December off the Night Megabus Gold and departing at 19:15 that evening on Ryanair out of Edinburgh Airport. Just wondering what would the best sights to see and go to in Edinburgh during our time there that are not too expensive? Can be transport related or not, don't
really mind.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elwyn

Most Museums and Art galleries are free. So National Museum of Scotland, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery are all within walking distance of Waverley, and free. The Castle costs around £16 so you might not want to do it. You can climb Arthur’s Seat free. Museum of Childhood on the Royal Mile is free as far as I recall.

An all day ticket on the buses is £4 (buy from the driver). That includes the 35 bus out to the airport. (The tram is quicker but will cost you £5).

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You could take the train up to Dalmeny and walk the path down to the waters edge for a look at the Forth Bridge. It doesn't take long to get there and the sight of it is incredible. You get to see Waverley station too of course.

me123

Established Member
It's a great city and there's lots to do and see. The castle is genuinely brilliant, particularly if you have an interest in military history and the £16 entry fee is good value. I enjoyed the Royal Yacht out in Leith, and I'm not even a big Royalist. As Elwyn has said, there are lots of free attractions that are world class - the National Museum is great. Honestly, you could even just spend a day exploring on foot.

If you want to go further afield, a trip down to Tweedbank offers a scenic rail journey and a trip to the Borders without taking up too much time - it wouldn't necessarily be a whole day affair. There's also the National Mining Museum near Newtongrange if that's something you're interested in. If you're an aviation enthusiast, RAF East Fortune is really good and offers the opportunity to see Concorde - it's a short taxi ride from Drem station.

If you're a foodie, the Michelin starred Kitchin (and the equally good but no longer starred Castle Terrace) offer a very reasonably priced lunch menu. Another good tip for great food at a slightly cheaper price is Wedgwood on the Royal Mile - again the lunch deal is great value. You really won't struggle for good food.

I could go on. Edinburgh is easily one of the best cities in the world and your problem will be choosing what to do in such a short time rather than struggling to fill your time.

Elwyn

If you're a foodie, the Michelin starred Kitchin (and the equally good but no longer starred Castle Terrace) offer a very reasonably priced lunch menu. Another good tip for great food at a slightly cheaper price is Wedgwood on the Royal Mile - again the lunch deal is great value. You really won't struggle for good food.

I could go on. Edinburgh is easily one of the best cities in the world and your problem will be choosing what to do in such a short time rather than struggling to fill your time.

I couldn't agree more. The food, drink and entertainment options are brilliant. In addition to Kitchin, there's the Michelin starred Martin Wisharts also in Leith which does a fabulous lunch. Or you could just have a very fine lunch with several real ales in the Shore, or a thousand other excellent establishments. Only going for a day may have been a big mistake. Stay longer.

Established Member
Edinburgh is fantastic.
I would echo what others have said about the National Museum of Scotland.
Amongst other things you can see "Wylam Dilly", one of the two oldest surviving locomotives in the world, dating from 1813.

Established Member
Not necessarily a serious note, but if you overtake a megabus from your plane around Newcastle, I'll wave back :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.