• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daytrip Plan to Newcastle [Things to See and Do]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayman Ilham

So my wife and I are planning a day out to Newcastle next month and I would like some suggestions on what to see and do around the city. We already booked the tickets for a nice time frame (arrive 10:17 and depart 17:42) so we have a decent amount of time to explore the city properly (I've been there briefly before myself on a North East Rover). I already know the views along the Tyne are brilliant so we'll walk down there, as well as exploring the many shopping centres, and I recently figured out about getting a Metro to/from North/South Shields and getting a ferry between them so that's on the books. However, I would appreciate any other suggestions to make the most of the day out. Cheers in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
It's worth visiting the castle, not only for its historic and architectural interest, but also for the superb view of the East end of the station - and it's junction, plus the High Level Bridge - from the top of the keep. Ideal for railway photography! If you cross the Millenium Bridge into Gateshead you could visit the Sage arts & performance venue and the nearby Baltic art gallery in a former flour mill. From the railway interest viewpoint, you would probably enjoy a spin on the Metro out to the coast (Whitley Bay, Monkseaton and Tynemouth) - out one way and reaturn the other - while the old 1980s units are still in service, so that you can sit at the front alongside the driver and see the line. The line out to Sunderland and South Hylton is even more interesting in some ways, as it shares the Network Rail track with Northern passenger services and GBRf freight trains. Not sure how your wife would enjoy all this though!

Ken H

On Moderation
Get a train that goes over the King Edward VII bridge. The views of the bridgescape down the Tyne are awesome. Easy way to get to metro Centre.

Tynemouth Metro station is a gem. dont rush out but give it 10 minutes to ebjoy

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
One stop further from North Shields is Tynemouth which is a pleasant seaside village. I'd almost suggest getting the Metro to Cullercoats and walking back along to Tynemouth if the weather allowed.

The old Metro units will soon be on their way out so definitely make the most of them with all their quirks.

SteveM70

Established Member
…and if you’re there on the third Saturday of the month, the farmers market on tynemouth station is nice

NorthWestRover

Established Member
In late May, I stayed in Whitley Bay and did the whole circuit - it's pleasant enough. I also did the Shields Ferry and then walked along the coast from North Shields to Tynemouth. A fair distance and it might get bleak in October. But an interesting walk.

I found the Grainger Market in the City Centre interesting. The oldest surviving Marks & Spencers Penny Bazaar is in there. The pizza slices from the kiosk in there are excellent too.

greyman42

Established Member
It's worth visiting the castle, not only for its historic and architectural interest, but also for the superb view of the East end of the station - and it's junction, plus the High Level Bridge - from the top of the keep. Ideal for railway photography!
If you head from the castle down to the river, take the castle stairs which are more interesting than following the road.

Veteran Member
The Lindisfarne Gospels are on display in a gallery - prebooking advised - and the Cathedral has recently had a major internal refurbishment. Not seen either, but in any case Newcastle is worth wandering around (in the daytime!).

xotGD

Established Member
I was going to share my local knowledge, but all these interlopers have beaten me to it! :D

I'm sure you'll have a great time visiting The Toon.

arbeia

Bear in mind that for 10 weeks from 12/09/22 the Metro is not running from South Shields to Pelaw. Bus replacement.

Ayman Ilham

Thanks for the suggestions :D the castle is definitely something I need to have a better look at cos I narrowly missed it when I was walking up back to the station from the riverside last time I was there. Might give the Gateshead Art Centre a go if it's free entry. Might just stick to North Shields then South Shields via ferry (Tynemouth might take up too much of my time) with the Metro All Zone day ticket, which is valid on that ferry. Afterwards, might pop to Sunderland, as the route down that way was actually surprisingly spectacular.

What other places would be worth seeing or visiting within the city centre? Also, is the intu Metrocentre worth visiting?

Veteran Member
Also, is the intu Metrocentre worth visiting?
Only if you are into retail therapy in a big way.

(It was almost brand new 35 years ago when I lived up there - a novelty then, and brilliant in winter with a toddler as you didn't need to wrestle with layers of clothing!)

Winthorpe

Unfortunately the tours have now finished for the 2022 season; but for future reference, in case you ever visit again between April and early September, climbing the 164 steps to the top of Grey's Monument is a 'must do'. The view of the old town from the top is fantastic.

Here is a link to the website for details:

Climb the 164 steps to the top of Grey’s Monument on a tour with Newcastle City Guides. The Monument is named after the 2nd Earl Grey, Charles Grey, who hailed from the North East and was British Prime Minister in the 1830s - the famous Earl Grey tea blend was named after him too! From here you can enjoy unrivalled views over Grainger Town’s magnificently preserved Georgian architecture.

You will inevitable pass the moment when you visit the city centre shops. A walk down Grey Street from the monument to take in the Georgian architecture is worthwhile.

Ayman Ilham

Unfortunately the tours have now finished for the 2022 season; but for future reference, in case you ever visit again between April and early September, climbing the 164 steps to the top of Grey's Monument is a 'must do'. The view of the old town from the top is fantastic.

Here is a link to the website for details:

You will inevitable pass the moment when you visit the city centre shops. A walk down Grey Street from the monument to take in the Georgian architecture is worthwhile.
I've been past that very monument before; didn't know it was habitable! Looks somewhat similar to St Andrews Square in Edinburgh.

Ayman Ilham

Only if you are into retail therapy in a big way.

(It was almost brand new 35 years ago when I lived up there - a novelty then, and brilliant in winter with a toddler as you didn't need to wrestle with layers of clothing!)
What if I just enjoy exploring shopping centres in general? Would it be worth getting a bus there or am I better off sticking to Eldon Square?
Not sure how your wife would enjoy all this though!
And for those that are wondering, she doesn't actually mind what we do, as she's new to the country so all experiences are nice to her.

bspahh

Established Member
The Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art is worth a visit, for the view looking out, and possibly for the art inside depending on your taste. It has a library with a lot of art books.

The metro station at Tynemouth is well worth a visit for the sweeping roof.

Colman's Seafood Temple on South Shields beach is a really nice fish restaurant/take away.

Barbour have a Factory Outlet in South Shields. It has a wide range of their new stuff, and discounted odds and ends of samples and end of line stuff.

xotGD

Established Member
I've thought of something not yet mentioned - be sure to admire the beautiful Georgian architecture in the city centre. Grey Street is particularly impressive.

If you do pop over to the Gateshead quayside to visit the Baltic, then go one way via the Swing Bridge and the other via the Millennium Bridge.

Veteran Member
What if I just enjoy exploring shopping centres in general? Would it be worth getting a bus there or am I better off sticking to Eldon Square?
I would go to Metrocentre by train (strikes permitting) - but it will take up a good chunk of your day.

SteveM70

Established Member
MetroCentre offers nothing that any other out of town shopping centre offers. To my mind a waste of time on a trip away

One other thing that’s come to mind is the seafood shack at tynemouth which is excellent if you’re there. Think it’s called Riley’s

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
MetroCentre is a bit depressing these days, to be honest. Lots of empty units and it's a fair bit out of the way compared to the rest of your plans. It's a far cry from the heady days of my childhood in the early 2000s.

If you want to explore a shopping centre just stick to Eldon Square.

ChrisC

Established Member
I had a week in Newcastle at the beginning of April. A really interesting city and area to explore. Certainly a walk on the quayside down by the river is a must and I also recommend having a walk over the Millennium Bridge to the Baltic Centre and also the swing bridge is interesting. The Georgian architecture in the Grey Street area is also fantastic.

During other days during my stay I also visited Tynemouth which I found a very interesting town with great Metro Station. I walked along the sea front to Cullercoats and visited St. George’s Church which can’t be missed as a very impressive building right on the sea front and then continued my walk up to Whitley Bay. Another day I caught the bus to the north end of Whitley Bay and visited St. Mary’s Lighthouse followed by a walk along the cliffs to Seaton Sluice and Seaton Deleval Hall. A visit to St Bede’s Church, Abbey and Gardens in Jarrow was interesting and then a trip down the coast road by bus to the Souter Lighthouse and Sunderland. I also visited an interesting Roman fort in South Shields. One day I had a trip up the coast by bus to Amble and Alnemouth both places I had previously visited during holiday on the Northumberland Coast. My hotel was in a very nice part of Jesmond and walks from the hotel to Jesmond Dene were also interesting especially viewing some of the huge houses in the area behind Jesmond St. George’s Church.

A very interesting city and area and very friendly people. I’ve already decided to make a return visit next year.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Thanks for the suggestions :D the castle is definitely something I need to have a better look at cos I narrowly missed it when I was walking up back to the station from the riverside last time I was there. Might give the Gateshead Art Centre a go if it's free entry. Might just stick to North Shields then South Shields via ferry (Tynemouth might take up too much of my time) with the Metro All Zone day ticket, which is valid on that ferry. Afterwards, might pop to Sunderland, as the route down that way was actually surprisingly spectacular.
I wouldn't recommend going to Sunderland - it's a long way out and would take up much more time than Tynemouth. Certainly I wouldn't use the metro - you'd have to double back on yourself to get there from South Shields.

If you did want to go there, I'd recommend getting a bus between the two (the E1 is probably most scenic because it basically follows the coast the whole way) then getting a train from Sunderland station to Newcastle. That rail line is included in the Metro All Day ticket but the bus isn't (you'd need a Day Rover for the bus).

Ayman Ilham

I wouldn't recommend going to Sunderland - it's a long way out and would take up much more time than Tynemouth. Certainly I wouldn't use the metro - you'd have to double back on yourself to get there from South Shields.

If you did want to go there, I'd recommend getting a bus between the two (the E1 is probably most scenic because it basically follows the coast the whole way) then getting a train from Sunderland station to Newcastle. That rail line is included in the Metro All Day ticket but the bus isn't (you'd need a Day Rover for the bus).
Fair enough, I've seen a lot of people recommending Tynemouth so I'm gonna have to check it out. Been to Sunderland before anyways (back when I did the North East Rover); looks decent but not much different to any other small/medium city.

xotGD

Established Member

Yes. A good circuit is train/Metro from Newcastle to Sunderland, E1 to South Shields, ferry to North Shields then Metro back to Newcastle round the top of the loop (via a stop off in Tynemouth).

greyman42

Established Member
If you have any interest in football, you could take in a guided stadium tour of St. James' Park.

Ayman Ilham

Yes. A good circuit is train/Metro from Newcastle to Sunderland, E1 to South Shields, ferry to North Shields then Metro back to Newcastle round the top of the loop (via a stop off in Tynemouth).
Noted; what bus normally does the E1? Had a good look at Tynemouth on Google Earth and I can see exactly why you all recommended it; the station certainly looks rather grandiose for a metro station, but it's safe to say that I totally underestimated how stunning that bay with the cliffs and castle would look! Other than that, I'd spend most of the time checking out the castle (noticed the view will be really good) and exploring the city centre (definitely loved the architecture around the Monument and Eldon Square) as well as the riverside.

Zamracene749

E1 is normally worked by an E200 from S Shields depot. In the Toon itself, I'd recommend the Laing art gallery and the Hancock museum, both free and well worth a look. North Shields Fish Quay is packed with nice restaurants, or for something more spicy Ocean Road in South Shields has some of the oldest established Bangladeshi restaurants in the UK!

Ayman Ilham

Just noticed the metro actually loops round after Tynemouth, so I might stick to just metro going North Shields and then ferry to South Shields and back before heading to Tynemouth (exploring all three places) and then going the other way back to the city centre, given the engineering works on the South Shields branch. Then I'll spend most of my time in the city centre, as there's so much to explore there alone. This is so I don't end up doing too much in one go.

xotGD

Established Member
Just noticed the metro actually loops round after Tynemouth, so I might stick to just metro going North Shields and then ferry to South Shields and back before heading to Tynemouth (exploring all three places) and then going the other way back to the city centre, given the engineering works on the South Shields branch. Then I'll spend most of my time in the city centre, as there's so much to explore there alone. This is so I don't end up doing too much in one go.
Unless you want to walk down to the sea front I wouldn't bother leaving the ferry at South Shields. The town centre doesn't have much to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.