• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo Class 67's up for sale

Rail Quest

They don't - it's V12 710 series diesel engine (12N-710G3B-EC, I think), same as in the original EWS 66's. Some later-built 66's have more modern variants of that engine due to changing emissions requirements.
Ahh just checked and indeed you are correct. I had it in my head the sheds had 645s xD (edit: on further digging, looks like I was thinking of the 57s/59s which are fitted with 645 variants)

According to Wikipedia (so grain of salt required):
Original spec: 12N-710G3B-EC (as with the 67s)
UIC II spec: 12N-710G3B-U2
EU Stage IIIA spec: 12N-710G3B-T2 (this seems to be whats been fitted to the existing 69s)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ac6000cw

Established Member
I had it in my head the sheds had 645s xD (edit: on further digging, looks like I was thinking of the 57s/59s which are fitted with 645 variants)
Yes - 59s have a V16 645 (and higher-rated AR11 alternator and D77 traction motors c.f. 66s), 57s a V12 645.

randyrippley

Established Member
They don't - it's V12 710 series diesel engine (12N-710G3B-EC, I think), same as in the original EWS 66's. Some later-built 66's have more modern variants of that engine due to changing emissions requirements.

The cl. 67 alternator is different (to support an ETS supply) as are the traction motors (they are frame-mounted rather than axle-hung, to support 125mph capability).
When ordered the press releases made great emphasis of the 66 and 67 using the same diesels.
The general understanding at the time was that under the bodyshell the components were very much identical, main difference being the bogies.

How many class 56 donors are left for that?
that's the big question.........

Last edited:

12LDA28C

Established Member
Rule of Thumb guesstimate £150 per Tonne as scrap.

Maybe so but I wasn't quoting scrap value. Locos in full working order will be worth much more than that and even those with a reasonable prospect of being reactivated will sell for well above scrap value. It just depends if anyone is in the market for them.

fgwrich

Established Member
Chiltern too. They weren’t best pleased with the reliability offered by the 67s, nor were they happy with their fuel thirsty nature, hence the decision to switch to 68s from DRS - even after what would have no doubt have been a cheap offer from DB themselves.

Speaking of TfW 67s and unreliability, they weren’t covering themselves in glory this morning as you probably know with issues on 67010.

TheGrew

Could they be potential export targets to somewhere with less mainline electrification?

hooverboy

On Moderation
Maybe so but I wasn't quoting scrap value. Locos in full working order will be worth much more than that and even those with a reasonable prospect of being reactivated will sell for well above scrap value. It just depends if anyone is in the market for them.
What is the utility value of the loco?
CL67 have poor tractive effort, poor route availabiltiy,and poor reliability.

Scrap value(in working order) of a CL37 is higher ,because it can do a lot of stuff extra that a CL67 can't, even despite being 60 years old.

torten

Have any of the stored ones beside 67019 been stripped for spares?

I suspect some of these might be bound for the scrapyard.

Robin Procter

Have any of the stored ones beside 67019 been stripped for spares?
.... Being made available, stored, stripped, for spares makes sense if some have fallen into disuse. For example, rail tours operator West Coast Railways (WCR) have a number of locos such as Class 47s unused but ready for spares etc or even renovation. I think they have some Class 37s in the same state too.

Only time will tell us what the fate of these 67s will be. Until then, it's speculation.

They are called "Skips" by railway enthusiasts but I quite like them.

Towers

Established Member
.... Being made available, stored, stripped, for spares makes sense if some have fallen into disuse. For example, rail tours operator West Coast Railways (WCR) have a number of locos such as Class 47s unused but ready for spares etc or even renovation. I think they have some Class 37s in the same state too.

Only time will tell us what the fate of these 67s will be. Until then, it's speculation.

They are called "Skips" by railway enthusiasts but I quite like them.
“Skips” is more a reference to their shape I always thought, rather than having its more usual derogatory meaning?!

Robin Procter

“Skips” is more a reference to their shape I always thought, rather than having its more usual derogatory meaning?!
.... Yes, I think you are right (and hope that is the case). "Bins", "Sheds", "Shoeboxes", "Cucumbers" etc are all names based on their shapes but I have found that quite a few railway enthusiasts (aka train spotters) use some of these names in a derogatory manner because they see them as usurping a loco class which they liked a lot. Each to their own.

All these names in fact describe the loco class shapes very well.

So, in an effort to get this thread closer to being on topic, are these Bins going to get binned or just sold for further use? We don't know yet.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Scrap value(in working order) of a CL37 is higher ,because it can do a lot of stuff extra that a CL67 can't, even despite being 60 years old.

No. Scrap value is scrap value. Value of a working loco for someone who wants to use it on the main line is whatever they are prepared to pay. For example, the 47s sold from ROG to WCRC a few years ago were rumoured to have gone for £100,000 each. That is way above scrap value.

Similar rumours suggest HNRC are asking much more than scrap value for the 47s they are trying to offload.

WCRC have many locos at Carnforth which provide spares to the operational fleet and that is their sole purpose. It is beyond unlikely that any of those 47s will be refurbished for further use.

Last edited: