• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

Atishyou

Would anyone happen to know if the salary increases annually (subject to passing assessments etc). Thanks
No, not unless a pay deal is agreed. It's just that salary.

Not sure if the training wage is slightly less or if you're straight in on the junior rate, but then when you qualify for mainline (if you move up from junior or trainee), you're usually put on full money after signing first route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dilksy2396

DB Cargo get you to retake all the psych tests if it's been more than 6 months since you did them. So, not sure how much of an edge it would give you other than suggesting that you're more likely to pass them again if you've sat them previously.
Really? I didn't think I would have to sit them all again. I better get practicing again then!! I will have to see what they say as I have emailed them regarding the assessment day.

No, not unless a pay deal is agreed. It's just that salary.

Not sure if the training wage is slightly less or if you're straight in on the junior rate, but then when you qualify for mainline (if you move up from junior or trainee), you're usually put on full money after signing first route.
May I ask if you're a Qualified Driver? I am just wondering as I believe that if I do become a Junior Driver, I would get a Train Driver License?? If so would we just have to wait until the company needed me to go mainline or could I ask when ready?

Last edited:

whoosh

Established Member
Would anyone happen to know if the salary increases annually (subject to passing assessments etc). Thanks

Unlike the Police, Teaching, Armed Forces, and British Airways pilots as examples, there is not a pay grade ladder that is climbed with each year or so many years employment with the organisation.
Saying that, there are some Train Operating Companies/Freight Operating Companies that have a 'Post Qualified' rate of pay for a year or two before going up to the full Qualified Driver rate of pay.
The Qualified Driver rate of pay depends on the pay deal that is current within that company at the time. Sometimes there is a one year deal, sometimes a multi-year deal - often with productivity changes. But that's it. There isn't a going up a pay grade thing over time apart from that, if that was what you were getting at. :)

YingYing

would we just have to wait until the company needed me to go mainline or could I ask when ready?
You'd be only be promoted to mainline based on the needs of the company. My understanding is that the junior driver role is a yard/shunter driver. So you'd be promoted to mainline driver once there's a need for more mainline drivers in your area either with new work or retirements, but even then there's no real guarantee. It's a good first step into the driving role though!

Dilksy2396

You'd be only be promoted to mainline based on the needs of the company. My understanding is that the junior driver role is a yard/shunter driver. So you'd be promoted to mainline driver once there's a need for more mainline drivers in your area either with new work or retirements, but even then there's no real guarantee. It's a good first step into the driving role though!
That's just what I was thinking! I knew it was yard work with the Junior Driver role. I am already a Shunter so I have some idea into some part of the role. Are you already in the industry if you don't mind me asking? I would enjoy doing yard work anyway to get a good level of the handling of the loco and brake use with a consist etc. I'm hoping I would have the chance to move to my local Depot (Bescot) though I will offer to help out at other depots I sign competence at.

YingYing

That's just what I was thinking! I knew it was yard work with the Junior Driver role. I am already a Shunter so I have some idea into some part of the role. Are you already in the industry if you don't mind me asking? I would enjoy doing yard work anyway to get a good level of the handling of the loco and brake use with a consist etc. I'm hoping I would have the chance to move to my local Depot (Bescot) though I will offer to help out at other depots I sign competence at.
Not in industry, but been an avid reader of the forum for a year or so, and still trying to crack it! Good luck to you, and likewise re the enjoying yard work and loco handling. Would certainly stand you in good stead I think.

Dilksy2396

Not in industry, but been an avid reader of the forum for a year or so, and still trying to crack it! Good luck to you, and likewise re the enjoying yard work and loco handling. Would certainly stand you in good stead I think.
Ah okay fair enough. You know your stuff then in certain areas. I hope you get the chance to join the family one day! Thank you, hoping this is the time I take the next step up into the cab, literally!! Oh yes, it would put me in good stead like you say and would save the company time when I do go mainline.

Stigy

Established Member
May I ask if you're a Qualified Driver? I am just wondering as I believe that if I do become a Junior Driver, I would get a Train Driver License?? If so would we just have to wait until the company needed me to go mainline or could I ask when ready?
You’ll get a European Train Driving Licence as a Junior Driver, and as far as I’m aware, some locations have you sit a full rules course depending on the nature of their work (@Atishyou will be able to clarify I’m sure). This is because some locations you are required to cross mainlines or have an element of mainline work.

Dilksy2396

You’ll get a European Train Driving Licence as a Junior Driver, and as far as I’m aware, some locations have you sit a full rules course depending on the nature of their work (@Atishyou will be able to clarify I’m sure). This is because some locations you are required to cross mainlines or have an element of mainline work.
Thanks for the reply Stigy. I assumed I would get a European Train Driving licence, wasn't 100% sure. Well I'm sure at Toton I would have to sit the rules course along with my local depot (Bescot) as the yard is on both sides of the mainline. Wonder what element of mainline work those two depots would have?

Atishyou

Really? I didn't think I would have to sit them all again. I better get practicing again then!! I will have to see what they say as I have emailed them regarding the assessment day.

As @Stigy says, you'll get a licence, but they're similar in car licences, in that they say what / where you can drive on the digital copy.

Depending on location, depends on what you do rules wise. The 'junior driver' role is relatively new in the scheme of things, so things are always changing.

In some areas, previously, they were only allowed to shunt in certain parts of the yard and couldn't move engines or trains from the depot to other yards nearby. Their rules were done to mainline standard and they can now do this.

I am a qualified driver.

You'll generally be moved up to mainline when you're needed, which, depending on the area, can be quicker than others. Or if you're wanting to go elsewhere in the company, on the needs of that area. E.G. if you lived in Doncaster and were applying for junior in South Yorkshire, did a year or so there and a vacancy came up at West Yorkshire and you wanted to go there, as long as they could facilitate the training, that may be possible.

It's a good job, good entry into the role. People should take it for what it is, experience, and not be thinking they're 'owed' a mainline job (not aimed at you or anyone in particular, but there's been a few of these sorts before).

Thanks for the reply Stigy. I assumed I would get a European Train Driving licence, wasn't 100% sure. Well I'm sure at Toton I would have to sit the rules course along with my local depot (Bescot) as the yard is on both sides of the mainline. Wonder what element of mainline work those two depots would have?
It'd usually be shunting engines and/ or wagons from one side to the other.

Dilksy2396

As @Stigy says, you'll get a licence, but they're similar in car licences, in that they say what / where you can drive on the digital copy.

Depending on location, depends on what you do rules wise. The 'junior driver' role is relatively new in the scheme of things, so things are always changing.

In some areas, previously, they were only allowed to shunt in certain parts of the yard and couldn't move engines or trains from the depot to other yards nearby. Their rules were done to mainline standard and they can now do this.

I am a qualified driver.

You'll generally be moved up to mainline when you're needed, which, depending on the area, can be quicker than others. Or if you're wanting to go elsewhere in the company, on the needs of that area. E.G. if you lived in Doncaster and were applying for junior in South Yorkshire, did a year or so there and a vacancy came up at West Yorkshire and you wanted to go there, as long as they could facilitate the training, that may be possible.

It's a good job, good entry into the role. People should take it for what it is, experience, and not be thinking they're 'owed' a mainline job (not aimed at you or anyone in particular, but there's been a few of these sorts before).

Thank you for the indepth reply!! It is very much appreciated and has given me a better picture of the process and the Junior Driver role!

Are you a Driver for DB or another TOC/FOC?

If successful this would be an amazing career opportunity for me. Something I would take full pride in achieving and upholding, without a doubt. I would hope to move from the East Midlands Hub to the West Midlands since that's where I live. I applied for the East Midlands to get my foot in the door and I didn't want to lose a great job like you say, just because it's a little further to travel.

Atishyou

Thank you for the indepth reply!! It is very much appreciated and has given me a better picture of the process and the Junior Driver role!

Are you a Driver for DB or another TOC/FOC?

If successful this would be an amazing career opportunity for me. Something I would take full pride in achieving and upholding, without a doubt. I would hope to move from the East Midlands Hub to the West Midlands since that's where I live. I applied for the East Midlands to get my foot in the door and I didn't want to lose a great job like you say, just because it's a little further to travel.
No worries.

I don't wish to reveal my employer on here, but I know a lot of stuff about DB.

Some would probably disagree with me, but I'd be honest with them if you get to interview, about your preference to relocate back to the West Mids at some point.

You need to be aware that there's possibly not just Toton for booking on though. I know for other depots, even for junior drivers, there's multiple locations they can go to. For East Mids, I'm not 100% sure, as I think some of the other locations are Notts and Leicester station (so not junior suitable), Cliffe Hill (not sure) and Mountsorrel (also not sure).

Trainset33

Good evening, can anybody clarify please, is it essential to have proof of English and Maths GCSE (or equivalent) for the online application form? Does the certificate or proof need to be uploaded like with CV and covering letter? Or can proof be obtained after the application is submitted? I’ve made enquiries online today and it’ll take up to 4 weeks before I receive the information back from the exam board, by which time applications will be well and truly closed. It would be annoying to go right through the process to find it was a fruitless exercise. Thanks in advance for any info.

DriverEight

Good evening, can anybody clarify please, is it essential to have proof of English and Maths GCSE (or equivalent) for the online application form? Does the certificate or proof need to be uploaded like with CV and covering letter? Or can proof be obtained after the application is submitted? I’ve made enquiries online today and it’ll take up to 4 weeks before I receive the information back from the exam board, by which time applications will be well and truly closed. It would be annoying to go right through the process to find it was a fruitless exercise. Thanks in advance for any info.
Given how difficult it is to get to get onto driving Jobs, my advice would be to keep going until you're forced to stop. I've applied with three different companies and they all say they'll need proof at some point, but it's never been asked for at the application stage. If you HAVE to upload something during the application, I think I'd type up a letter explaining that your grades are these, but the certificate has been lost and a replacement has been requested. Upload that instead and hope for the best

YingYing

Yes, one of the last items you need to upload is proof of your Maths and English qualifications. It does state that you can't submit the application until you do so.

FastTrax

I am a qualified driver.

so do all Trainee drivers work in the yard first doing shunting etc before they are needed to drive passengers? any time limit or they can go on for years before piloting a passenger train?
also about GCSE's is it a deal breaker or will TOC give you chance to complete it when you are training?
thnaks
thanks

YingYing

so do all Trainee drivers work in the yard first doing shunting etc before they are needed to drive passengers? any time limit or they can go on for years before piloting a passenger train?
also about GCSE's is it a deal breaker or will TOC give you chance to complete it when you are training?
thnaks
thanks
This junior driver role is specific to DB Cargo which doesn't do much passenger work ;). It's a yard shunter driver job so marshalling trains and general movement in and around a freight yard. As has been said elsewhere you'd progress to mainline work as and when the company needed more mainline drivers but it's not something to take as a given and feel you're owed. The specific training of Trainee Drivers at TOCs are a different thing that I don't have the knowledge to fill you in on.
Regarding GCSE requirements I think it depends on if its an apprenticeship or not. Some of these types of traineeships will put you through functional skills which as I understand it is an equivalent qualification. It's very much company dependant.

FastTrax

This junior driver role is specific to DB Cargo which doesn't do much passenger work ;). It's a yard shunter driver job so marshalling trains and general movement in and around a freight yard. As has been said elsewhere you'd progress to mainline work as and when the company needed more mainline drivers but it's not something to take as a given and feel you're owed. The specific training of Trainee Drivers at TOCs are a different thing that I don't have the knowledge to fill you in on.
Regarding GCSE requirements I think it depends on if its an apprenticeship or not. Some of these types of traineeships will put you through functional skills which as I understand it is an equivalent qualification. It's very much company dependant.
thanks. yes i meant in general even when the passenger drivers are recruited if they only become passenger drivers when there is a need until yard work. thanks

YingYing

thanks. yes i meant in general even when the passenger drivers are recruited if they only become passenger drivers when there is a need until yard work. thanks
In general then, no. Trainee drivers tend to go mainline straight away. There are exceptions, for example I know that EMR (or EMT as they were when I applied) advertise for trainee depot drivers occasionally in places like Derby where there are a lot of movements going on in the depot. It normally states in the ad for the application what your duties will be.

Stigy

Established Member
If it’s a mainline posting, then trainees will become qualified to drive trains in general, and if it’s for a TOC, they will be driving passengers from the outset.

Trainset33

Given how difficult it is to get to get onto driving Jobs, my advice would be to keep going until you're forced to stop. I've applied with three different companies and they all say they'll need proof at some point, but it's never been asked for at the application stage. If you HAVE to upload something during the application, I think I'd type up a letter explaining that your grades are these, but the certificate has been lost and a replacement has been requested. Upload that instead and hope for the best
Ok thanks very much. I appreciate you getting back to me with the info

Yes, one of the last items you need to upload is proof of your Maths and English qualifications. It does state that you can't submit the application until you do so.
Thanks to you too, I’ve requested the proof so will see how long it takes.

Atishyou

thnaks
thanks
As has been said, this is specific to DB Cargo. They don't operate many passenger trains.

Everyone in the roster usually does yard work, but that's all the juniors do. You'll only do passenger work if you later apply to a TOC.

The GCSE stuff is for the apprenticeship, so is needed.

Unknown2020

Hi!
Yeah defo best approach, but well done for getting in the pool so far. Its hard work trying to get into a job/pool but must be frustrating sat in the pool splashing around!
Hi!
I wonder if anyone can help? I posted on this thread a little while ago as I am currently in the talent pool for one of the jobs advertised.
I emailed last August and got a reply immediately. However Ive emailed a couple of times over the past 6 months but haven’t heard back. I’ve found a telephone number, do you think I should give it a call?
I really don’t want to pester anyone, but really would love an update or to see if there’s anything I can do!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

DriverEight

Hi!

Hi!
I wonder if anyone can help? I posted on this thread a little while ago as I am currently in the talent pool for one of the jobs advertised.
I emailed last August and got a reply immediately. However Ive emailed a couple of times over the past 6 months but haven’t heard back. I’ve found a telephone number, do you think I should give it a call?
I really don’t want to pester anyone, but really would love an update or to see if there’s anything I can do!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
I think talent pools for some places are time restricted, so that's the first thing you should check. I'd definitely give then a ring, just to find out what happens if your time in the pool expires. Are you free to start applying again?

Unknown2020

I think talent pools for some places are time restricted, so that's the first thing you should check. I'd definitely give then a ring, just to find out what happens if your time in the pool expires. Are you free to start applying again?
Thanks so much for your advice.
When I passed my psychometrics last year they said I would be held for 5 years in the talent pool. I’m keen to get started so am happy to apply again if needed. Il give them a call and see.
Thank you!

Last edited:

DriverEight

Thanks so much for your advice.
When I passed my psychometrics last year they said I would be held for 5 years in the talent pool. I’m keen to get started so am happy to apply again if needed. Il give them a call and see.
Thank you!
It could simply be that a few ahead of you in the pool are getting on a course, so they're starting to looking at topping up the pool and the new ones will slip in behind you. It's possibly going to happen in a few places now that restrictions are lifting

Edriver

Any updates on how the interviews went for those who managed to pass the assessments?

I’ve read comments in this thread from those who has been in a talent pool from a year ago (I assumed there may be more) and wondered if anyone has had any traction yet...