• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

FlyingVixen

Wow…that is such a scary thought. You don’t really like to think that has to happen, what an awfully pressurised position to hold in so many ways. I’m not sure what else to say, my mind is blown thinking about having to do that. I worked as a lifeguard when I was just out of college many years ago and obviously did first aid and lifeguard quals where in part we trained using the resuscitation dolls including a baby one, and doing the light two-finger chest compressions and weaker blows of air into the mouth. I never really envisioned having to do it, but for yourself in a birth situation as a midwife it somehow seems so much more critical. And the fact that you have had to do it, perhaps many times… I tip my hat, chapeau..
It’s a very scary thought! You know you can sort of handle it on an adult really, but when it comes to a baby it hits home differently. The scariest part of delivering a baby is when it comes out. You hope to god that it breathes for itself. Majority of the time they do, but the odd ones just don’t. It does keep you on your toes! It’s exhausting overall though. If I can handle that, then I can sure as hell operate a train and remain alert! That’s my thoughts anyway! Just hope that it transfers across on assessment day! Thank you though! Being a Midwife is a big job. Not many know what really goes on behind the scenes most of the time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shunted

It’s a very scary thought! You know you can sort of handle it on an adult really, but when it comes to a baby it hits home differently. The scariest part of delivering a baby is when it comes out. You hope to god that it breathes for itself. Majority of the time they do, but the odd ones just don’t. It does keep you on your toes! It’s exhausting overall though. If I can handle that, then I can sure as hell operate a train and remain alert! That’s my thoughts anyway! Just hope that it transfers across on assessment day! Thank you though! Being a Midwife is a big job. Not many know what really goes on behind the scenes most of the time!
Think that should be the majority of your MMI questions sorted!

North Sussex

Hello all,
I applied to the hold pool for Peak Forest in May 2022, I know its only been a few weeks but I've only done the initial application or personnal details plus CV and nothing else, is this 'normal'?
My application status is currently in process, which I hope is a good thing.
I appreciate what thenhold pool means, however from reading other comments it looks like people have done additional steps.
Any help would be great.

Shunted

Hello all,
I applied to the hold pool for Peak Forest in May 2022, I know its only been a few weeks but I've only done the initial application or personnal details plus CV and nothing else, is this 'normal'?
My application status is currently in process, which I hope is a good thing.
I appreciate what thenhold pool means, however from reading other comments it looks like people have done additional steps.
Any help would be great.
You talking about the talent pool which is what you are hoping to get into?
Also you need to be very patient in the process and all you can do now is sit back and wait for that email!

North Sussex

You talking about the talent pool which is what you are hoping to get into?
Also you need to be very patient in the process and all you can do now is sit back and wait for that email!
It is the talent pool I've applied for, I just wondered how long they tend to keep you in the hold pool for? Do they ask you to do the test whilst you're in the hold pool to see if you're suitable for the role once one becomes available?

NorthernTech

It is the talent pool I've applied for, I just wondered how long they tend to keep you in the hold pool for? Do they ask you to do the test whilst you're in the hold pool to see if you're suitable for the role once one becomes available?
You are not in the talent pool until you have passed all stages of recruitment. You may be best reading up on the sticky thread at the top of the page titled ‘career as a train driver’. Most recruitment by train companies are fairly similar but reading up on the subject would help you understand the lengthy process somewhat.

DJD

Hi everyone just wondering those that were invited to a medical.. how long were you waiting till they contacted you?

Eddie77

From having the medical to being given a start date
I think it all depends on need and the depot to be honest. There are some in here that seemed to be told their start date and then sent for a medical. Others sent for a medical with no start date. You’d like to think it wouldn’t be that long between medical and starting

NorthernTech

Hi everyone just wondering those that were invited to a medical.. how long were you waiting till they contacted you?
We’re you not given any information from the medical team regarding either a pass/fail or when they would get results from drug & alcohol test? How did you feel it went? Was it what you expected or stricter?

DJD

We’re you not given any information from the medical team regarding either a pass/fail or when they would get results from drug & alcohol test? How did you feel it went? Was it what you expected or stricter?
Yeah I passed the medical on the day, alcohol test was passed on the day but they needed to send off for the drug results which I will pass. The medical was what I expected as I’ve had one before with my current TOC.

I’m just trying to gauge does a medical mean I’m starting soon. I am just interested to know how long other people who had medicals were waiting. I wouldn’t have thought they would pay for a medical if they didn’t have a start date in mind, I could be wrong. Have other people in the pool had medicals?

At the moment I’m just constantly refreshing my email inbox hoping to hear from them lol.

NorthernTech

Yeah I passed the medical on the day, alcohol test was passed on the day but they needed to send off for the drug results which I will pass. The medical was what I expected as I’ve had one before with my current TOC.

I’m just trying to gauge does a medical mean I’m starting soon. I am just interested to know how long other people who had medicals were waiting. I wouldn’t have thought they would pay for a medical if they didn’t have a start date in mind, I could be wrong. Have other people in the pool had medicals?

At the moment I’m just constantly refreshing my email inbox hoping to hear from them lol.
I think I’ve read that a few had waited several months after medical but some had been much quicker, so it depends on several factors I suppose. I did read recently that someone was waiting in a db talent pool, but for operative role, for 3 years! I presume they are happy to pay for medical assuming you will start soon, but if they lose some work/contract it’s cheaper for them not to have given you a job offer at that point. Only time will tell..but I think Peak Forest is a busy place at present, so Id imagine you’ll not be waiting that long. Good luck

NorthernTech

I’m fairly sure Warrington is depot/yard driver position initially unlike some others like Peak Forest who I believe go straight to Mainline. Maybe worth clarifying at DMI

FlyingVixen

I’m fairly sure Warrington is depot/yard driver position initially unlike some others like Peak Forest who I believe go straight to Mainline. Maybe worth clarifying at DMI
Yeah it is. Already checked. I don’t mind it to be honest. It’s one foot in the door to mainline :D

NorthernTech

Yeah it is. Already checked. I don’t mind it to be honest. It’s one foot in the door to mainline :D
Your application seems to moving along pretty quickly, have you heard about a DMI yet?

Congratulations to everyone who has been put on a course! I’ve been given a start date.
Are you still down for a September start? Just wondered if that had changed with you editing the post??

Last edited:

FlyingVixen

Your application seems to moving along pretty quickly, have you heard about a DMI yet?

Are you still down for a September start? Just wondered if that had changed with you editing the post??
Ah it’s not moving that quick. I applied for it originally in May 2021 and only just had the assessment day! Nope not heard anything yet! I doubt I will for a while.

NorthernTech

Ahhh sorry, I thought you had applied to the recent re-advertisement at Warrington. At least you have been progressed and are now moving through the system. Hearing back does not seem to follow any pattern, just when they need to it seems

New advert up for West Midlands Trainee Talent Pool, for anyone interested

Last edited:

FlyingVixen

Ahhh sorry, I thought you had applied to the recent re-advertisement at Warrington. At least you have been progressed and are now moving through the system. Hearing back does not seem to follow any pattern, just when they need to it seems

New advert up for West Midlands Trainee Talent Pool, for anyone interested
Yeah I did notice they put a new advertisement this year. It does seem that way! I do think I’ll be waiting a while either way! Hopefully it’s worth the wait!