• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo - Trainee Train Driver (2021/2022)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NICBIN

just worried about how long it will take to receive the call? Do others still apply for other tocs? Although I am working in a different job im just worried I wait arounf for a call that never comes or am i overthinking?

Docket

just worried about how long it will take to receive the call? Do others still apply for other tocs? Although I am working in a different job im just worried I wait arounf for a call that never comes or am i overthinking?

It was only a few weeks for me between the call and a medical invite. I'm just waiting for a course date now. Hopefully you won't be waiting too long.

Eddie77

Everybody seems to be different I see Docket was only a couple of weeks. I passed all my testing and interviews in Dec 2019 and I’m still waiting so it’s anybody’s guess. I hope you’re given a date soon

1867Blue

I was about 4 weeks after being put in the talent pool to getting my medical booked in. I’m waiting for a start date now, which will be 2022.

it’s not a nice wait.

NorthernTech

Congratulations Nicbin, I take you are from the recent campaign? Are there any others that have progressed through the recent job adverts?? I know a few have had tests, but compared to other threads, this one seems very quiet..

BigChip90

Congratulations Nicbin, I take you are from the recent campaign? Are there any others that have progressed through the recent job adverts?? I know a few have had tests, but compared to other threads, this one seems very quiet..
I’m in a talent pool with an upcoming medical in the next couple of months, been told an early 2022 start all being well.

SVDW995

I’ve previously passed all the assessments at an enhanced level. Am I correct in thinking that DB Cargo would want me to resit all the assessments given that didn’t pass them within the last 6 months?
Hi Locomotivation, did you find the answer to this question? Thanks

Docket

Has anyone heard anything? I've been told I've been pencilled in for a Jan 2022 course.

SVDW995

I’ve been invited for an assessment but I’m worried as it will be my second life. I passed all to enhanced bar one last November. Does anyone know whether DB will require me to resit them all?

NorthernTech

I’ve been invited for an assessment but I’m worried as it will be my second life. I passed all to enhanced bar one last November. Does anyone know whether DB will require me to resit them all?
I’m afraid so, DB make you do the full lot, in one go too.. Harsh, but a good test of if a candidate has it or not I suppose. I think their philosophy is that, if they accepted parts of the test from years ago where you may have changed/deteriorated since, then it wouldn’t be a true test of where you are right now..if that makes sense.

Stigy

Established Member
I’m afraid so, DB make you do the full lot, in one go too.. Harsh, but a good test of if a candidate has it or not I suppose. I think their philosophy is that, if they accepted parts of the test from years ago where you may have changed/deteriorated since, then it wouldn’t be a true test of where you are right now..if that makes sense.
I think you’re right about their thoughts process regarding the assessments, however that’s not really the purpose of psychometric assessments. For example, these tests assess your suitability for trainability for the role of Train Driver and are only as accurate as the candidate’s frame of mind on the day they sit them. You can’t really have that ability one year, and suddenly lose it the next. Current drivers could take the assessments today and easily fail them (not sure I’d like to retake them!). Psychometrics are more of an indication that anything else.

On that basis, I guess one could ask, “should there be a time limit to them at all?”.

NorthernTech

I think you’re right about their thoughts process regarding the assessments, however that’s not really the purpose of psychometric assessments. For example, these tests assess your suitability for trainability for the role of Train Driver and are only as accurate as the candidate’s frame of mind on the day they sit them. You can’t really have that ability one year, and suddenly lose it the next. Current drivers could take the assessments today and easily fail them (not sure I’d like to retake them!). Psychometrics are more of an indication that anything else.

On that basis, I guess one could ask, “should there be a time limit to them at all?”.
If you were to start a separate thread on what people’s thoughts are on the Psychometric Tests and their potential relevance to the job or it’s training, I reckon it would be a busy thread with lots of divided opinion! o_O But in this case, the candidate has no choice in the matter and if you want to be considered with DB, then that’s how they do it. Much scarier than having to prepare for separate days but it is what it is..

Last edited:

YingYing

Yes if you took them over 6 months ago you'll have to redo them all. When I did them they said it was so that all your tests will then have the same "expiry date" and when they apply to get your train driver license it forms a better case or something like that; there's no potential deterioration in your ability if you took the first stages a longer time ago. I agree with the above sentiments from Stigy about it but they're the hoops you have to jump through. :)

SVDW995

Thank you all for your replies. I will have to weigh up whether I want to risk it. I also have applications with two other operators in the pipeline, so for now at least, it may be better for me to wait for an operator who will only ask me to resit the one I failed.

I agree with the view re the assessments demonstrating whether you have the aptitude to train to become a driver. They really are a “can you or can’t you” assessment.

I did take them all in one sitting with Northern last year and misjudged the 2-Hand - I don’t mind sitting them all in one go, but I have a real fear of failing one I’ve passed to an enhanced standard previously!

NorthernTech

Thank you all for your replies. I will have to weigh up whether I want to risk it. I also have applications with two other operators in the pipeline, so for now at least, it may be better for me to wait for an operator who will only ask me to resit the one I failed.

I agree with the view re the assessments demonstrating whether you have the aptitude to train to become a driver. They really are a “can you or can’t you” assessment.

I did take them all in one sitting with Northern last year and misjudged the 2-Hand - I don’t mind sitting them all in one go, but I have a real fear of failing one I’ve passed to an enhanced standard previously!
It is such a tough decision when you really want something and you know that just that one failure will rule you out for life, or at least the next ten years or so until they may change the testing protocol and wipe the slate clean (assuming that would happen again). I was in the same position as you, except I had passed all the paper and computer tests but failed MMI. Most likely, I would just have to do the MMI again with most operators, or I could pay for the MMI only at one of the groups that you can pay for testing. But I was invited to a test day where I would have to do the lot again, I deliberated and worried about it, knowing I had to pass the lot in one go, but I never had any other applications anywhere that had been sifted, and I’m not getting any younger I thought f*&k it, I passed them before, I can do it again…. It was a risk, a massive risk, as I have all my eggs in this basket, this is my only focus and unfortunately I really dislike my current job! I passed!! It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I thought I’d be flying through the last stages and hopefully into the job soon... I’m no further on, the wait continues... So I’m not sure what to suggest, if you feel the others are very likely to only need you to do a test or two, then that’s much less to practice for and youd assume give you a better chance to pass, but it’s not a given, and there is no guarantee either way. I just had this recurring thought, that if I took the risk and it DIDNT pay off and I failed on one of the tests then how would I feel?? I’d have been ruined at that point personally.. I’d have got over it eventually I’m sure, but I’d have been eternally annoyed with myself and wishing I’d taken the other option. So to end this super long post, this was my thought process, but only you can decide which pill to take, the Red pill…or the Green Pill (train related, not the Matrix ;))

SVDW995

It is such a tough decision when you really want something and you know that just that one failure will rule you out for life, or at least the next ten years or so until they may change the testing protocol and wipe the slate clean (assuming that would happen again). I was in the same position as you, except I had passed all the paper and computer tests but failed MMI. Most likely, I would just have to do the MMI again with most operators, or I could pay for the MMI only at one of the groups that you can pay for testing. But I was invited to a test day where I would have to do the lot again, I deliberated and worried about it, knowing I had to pass the lot in one go, but I never had any other applications anywhere that had been sifted, and I’m not getting any younger I thought f*&k it, I passed them before, I can do it again…. It was a risk, a massive risk, as I have all my eggs in this basket, this is my only focus and unfortunately I really dislike my current job! I passed!! It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I thought I’d be flying through the last stages and hopefully into the job soon... I’m no further on, the wait continues... So I’m not sure what to suggest, if you feel the others are very likely to only need you to do a test or two, then that’s much less to practice for and youd assume give you a better chance to pass, but it’s not a given, and there is no guarantee either way. I just had this recurring thought, that if I took the risk and it DIDNT pay off and I failed on one of the tests then how would I feel?? I’d have been ruined at that point personally.. I’d have got over it eventually I’m sure, but I’d have been eternally annoyed with myself and wishing I’d taken the other option. So to end this super long post, this was my thought process, but only you can decide which pill to take, the Red pill…or the Green Pill (train related, not the Matrix ;))
Hi, thank you so much for your detailed reply, it’s exactly as I’m feeling. I’m so glad your big risk paid off and you passed, must’ve been an incredible feeling. I’m sure a position will come up for you soon!

I think I would be similarly devastated if I failed, especially on a test I’ve passed before. I am sort of tempted to contact the RCG to get a quote for one test and the MMI and see what happens. At least the pressure will be less, even though it means ruling out any TOC/FOC that won’t accept me as my passes (fingers crossed I pass!) might not meet their date requirements (I think people have said DB require a pass within the last 6 months).

I appreciate someone saying there’s no point in private tests if you can’t get past sifts but I’ve had some luck so far, so who knows.

I am just hoping DB come back to me and say you only need to pass the one you’ve failed as your other passes will be in date (if they go by the 5 year rule). Their email says this:

“We will still need to do our checks even if you have sat the assessment previously and have passed because we need to see if your pass is valid and when it is due to expire. This is because if the pass mark expires before a course start date you will need to resit the test and can not start on a course…”

Traindriver40

Hi all i have a DMI interview coming up with DB Cargo which was a little unexpected as thought i might have to retake assessments but it appears i don't. any advice on the DMI. i literally have a few days to prepare and have full days of work in my current job aswell.

I have seen the star format and all the usual questions is that basically how it goes and i guess questions about what i know.

Anyone else have a dmi in the same boat.

Eddie77

Hi all i have a DMI interview coming up with DB Cargo which was a little unexpected as thought i might have to retake assessments but it appears i don't. any advice on the DMI. i literally have a few days to prepare and have full days of work in my current job aswell.

I have seen the star format and all the usual questions is that basically how it goes and i guess questions about what i know.

Hi mate, mine was pretty relaxed. Have a look at anything new DB are involved in and also what kind of material you will be hauling. That should keep you in good stead !!

Eddie77

Thanks Eddie. Was it just one manager interviewing you and how long did it last ?
1 manager and 1 other guy from the depot, cant remember his role as my interview was a couple of years back. I was in around 45 minutes all in

SVDW995

Good luck for your DMI! I've done one with Northern and really prepared - made sure to read about the company, recent initiatives, how'd I'd fit with them, what they were planning etc as well as planned STAR answers for various scenarios/questions. It felt quite formal but it went really well - I hope yours does too.

Why did you think you would have to retake the assessments - did you have a full pass? I've been invited to an assessment day very soon but no one at DB has replied to let me know whether I need to retake them all or just the one I did not pass. I don't know whether to go.

NorthernTech

Good luck for your DMI! I've done one with Northern and really prepared - made sure to read about the company, recent initiatives, how'd I'd fit with them, what they were planning etc as well as planned STAR answers for various scenarios/questions. It felt quite formal but it went really well - I hope yours does too.

Why did you think you would have to retake the assessments - did you have a full pass? I've been invited to an assessment day very soon but no one at DB has replied to let me know whether I need to retake them all or just the one I did not pass. I don't know whether to go.
I’m about 90% sure you’ll have to do the full lot of tests. I’d passed all but the mmi just under 12 months previous, I had to do them all. I’m sure he said that it their policy. What is it with these railway companies and their love of keeping people hanging, or just not bothering to reply to questions? I realise they are v busy, and usually only one or two key people who you contact but still…

Traindriver40

i passed all standard assessments over 2 years ago although enhanced tests more recent with another toc. But i guess they allow for longer than 2 years.

thanks for the heads up on the dmi all it seems much the same as other dmi's. i already sit in talent pools for other tocs so have a understanding. now for the PREP!

NorthernTech

i passed all standard assessments over 2 years ago although enhanced tests more recent with another toc. But i guess they allow for longer than 2 years.

thanks for the heads up on the dmi all it seems much the same as other dmi's. i already sit in talent pools for other tocs so have a understanding. now for the PREP!
If you have passed some tests, but not all of them (ie failed at one point) then I believe DB will require you to sit the full suite of tests, and in one go, paper/computer/mmi. If you have previously passed all tests including the MMI then I’m not sure of their protocol with that. DB are standard industry pass so it wouldn’t matter if you have passes at an enhanced level, but just that you hold an industry pass across all tests. Although the ’industry’ passes are valid for 5 years, doesn’t mean a TOC or FOC will accept them for that long either. If you have been invited to DMI and not had to visit to do tests then it would seem DB accepted the passes and you moved on a stage. Good luck with DMI

Last edited:

Traindriver40

If you have passed some tests, but all of them (ie failed at one point) then I believe DB will require you to sit the full suite of tests, and in one go, paper/computer/mmi. If you have previously passed all tests including the MMI then I’m not sure of their protocol with that. DB are standard industry pass so it wouldn’t matter if you have passes at an enhanced level, but just that you hold an industry pass across all tests. Although the ’industry’ passes are valid for 5 years, doesn’t mean a TOC or FOC will accept them for that long either. If you have been invited to DMI and not had to visit to do tests then clearly DB accepted the passes and you moved on a stage. Good luck with DMI
I thought DB wanted enhanced test results ?

i have passed all tests to enhanced including the mmi it's just due to some of them being over 2 years ago i thought i might need to retake but have been invited straight for dmi so i assume that means they're happy with my test dates.

Thanks for the info.