• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB - notification of train cancellation - which alternatives can I use from Cologne

Orton

I booked a train from Cologne Messe to Munich with DB for July, which has now been cancelled. I'm pretty sure that my ticket is now valid on any of the remaining Cologne Messe - Munich services. But does anyone know if it would also be valid on Cologne Hbf - Munich services, which seem to run on a different route (at what are now more attractive times).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wandering Pom

I'm fairly sure the answer is Yes - once a booked journey has been disrupted in any way, DB seem to be a lot more relaxed about alternative routes than UK operators. But I'd wait for others with more direct experience to post here before saying definitely.

Incidentally, it might help clarify the position if you could say which train you were booked on, and which alternative(s) you're now considering.

Veteran Member
I'm fairly sure the answer is Yes - once a booked journey has been disrupted in any way, DB seem to be a lot more relaxed about alternative routes than UK operators. But I'd wait for others with more direct experience to post here before saying definitely.
Yes it would be valid as you say.

You should keep within the routing "envelope" shown (in codes) on the ticket itself (not the itinerary). That rules out going via Hannover, but might well allow via Stuttgart instead of Nuremberg, and the Rhine Valley instead of the high-speed line.
If you're unsure, post a redacted version of the ticket so someone can interpret the codes.

Orton

Aha! So that's presumably this bit from the ticket
Via: <1080>Köln*LM*(F*WUE*N*IN/MZ*S*UL)

And I'm guessing that second option is Mainz Stuttgart etc - which is exactly what I want to do (now timetabled to be quite a bit quicker than the Nuremberg route).

Massively helpful. Thank you.

rvdborgt

Aha! So that's presumably this bit from the ticket
Via: <1080>Köln*LM*(F*WUE*N*IN/MZ*S*UL)

And I'm guessing that second option is Mainz Stuttgart etc - which is exactly what I want to do (now timetabled to be quite a bit quicker than the Nuremberg route).
Yup, congratulations with your flexible ticket now. Although this (the "Raumbegrenzung") normally only appears on flexible tickets.
The route indicated is Köln-Limburg-(Frankfurt-Würzburg-Nürnberg-Ingolstadt/Mainz-Stuttgart-Ulm).

Wandering Pom

You should keep within the routing "envelope" shown (in codes) on the ticket itself (not the itinerary). That rules out going via Hannover, but might well allow via Stuttgart instead of Nuremberg, and the Rhine Valley instead of the high-speed line.
Thanks for the explanation - I'd seen codes like this on DB tickets before, but never quite worked out what they meant.

37201xoIM

Yup, congratulations with your flexible ticket now. Although this (the "Raumbegrenzung") normally only appears on flexible tickets.
The route indicated is Köln-Limburg-(Frankfurt-Würzburg-Nürnberg-Ingolstadt/Mainz-Stuttgart-Ulm).
Sounds as though theoretically you are only valid on the Cologne - Frankfurt high-speed line and not the classic Rhine Valley route - but in practice I'd be flabbergasted if you got any hassle going that way.

rvdborgt

Sounds as though theoretically you are only valid on the Cologne - Frankfurt high-speed line and not the classic Rhine Valley route - but in practice I'd be flabbergasted if you got any hassle going that way.
Indeed. And if your train is cancelled, then you can take any reasonable route, which may or may not be within the "Raumbegrenzung"; anything the planner proposes is always reasonable. The high-speed line will also be closed for some time, so then you don't even have the choice.

stuu

Established Member
The Cologne-Frankfurt high speed line is closed for a few weeks in July/August. I had already booked a journey going that way which has been cancelled so I had to rebook on a service via the Rhine gorge. There's fewer services and they take longer so worth booking ahead

dutchflyer

Established Member
You did not mention an exact date, but just read in other forum that the Hi-Speed Köln-FRA/Flugh=airport line is to be closed for maintenance for around 1 month from around 15/7. Which will of course severely limit available routings and extend travel times.

Veteran Member
Mainz rather implies the Rhine Valley (technically you can do HSL-Wiesbaden-Mainz), but it's traditionally the cheaper route (at full fare) so it wouldn't be a problem even in normal times.
And you can use other routes in vaguely the right direction within those limits if you can persuade the planner to accept your via points.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I too have a sparpreis Brussels-Frankfurt-Kassel Wilhelmshöhe and return as far as Frankfurt Airport next month. I've had two separate emails saying my itinerary is no longer possible and my ticket is now flexible, both ways.

The emails aren't very helpful. Outbound suggests an alternative on a regional train, but on researching, my ICE from Frankfurt is still running at the same time but with a one hour extended journey time. The suggested alternative on the RE direct to Kassel actually took longer!

Returning, again my ICE is running but retimed an hour earlier at 6am. No alternative was offered in the email. I need to board a flight from FRA at 11:15.

Actually I was wondering if I could travel on it the night before as an alternative?

rvdborgt

Actually I was wondering if I could travel on it the night before as an alternative?
I don't think so. You can always ask at the station though. If leaving the night before is the only way you can be in Brussels at the original time, then you may have a somewhat chance they'll allow you to do that.

poffle

Mainz rather implies the Rhine Valley (technically you can do HSL-Wiesbaden-Mainz), but it's traditionally the cheaper route (at full fare) so it wouldn't be a problem even in normal times.
And you can use other routes in vaguely the right direction within those limits if you can persuade the planner to accept your via points.
I think the via Mainz reflects the big Riedbahn closure in the Frankfurt - Mannheim area from 15/7 until 14/12. This means long distance trains not serving Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbahnhof and instead being routed via Wiesbaden/Mainz to get from the high speed Cologne - Frankfurt line to Mannheim.

Wiesbaden Hbf is a terminus station so any long distance trains going into it incur a reversing penalty whereas Mainz Hbf is a through station so more attractive to use as a stopping point to serve the Frankfurt area.