• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown2020

Hello!

Early this year I passed my psychometric tests and have been put into a talent pool with hope of availability coming up in the near future to start the training programme in the North West. I know everything has been postponed and delayed due to the current Covid situations, however I am wondering if anyone knows of when training will be back up and running, or just any general information/updates regards to this.

Also, would anyone be able to give me some information on what the training programme looks like? I believe at first there will be a block of training that needs to be done away from home, but I wondered if people are commuting each day, or staying over for the full time. Any information on what the training programme consists of would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MA8141

Have you passed your DMI also or just passed the testing phase and awaiting DMI ?

Stigy

Established Member
Hello!

Early this year I passed my psychometric tests and have been put into a talent pool with hope of availability coming up in the near future to start the training programme in the North West. I know everything has been postponed and delayed due to the current Covid situations, however I am wondering if anyone knows of when training will be back up and running, or just any general information/updates regards to this.

Also, would anyone be able to give me some information on what the training programme looks like? I believe at first there will be a block of training that needs to be done away from home, but I wondered if people are commuting each day, or staying over for the full time. Any information on what the training programme consists of would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :D
Unfortunately it's very much a case of "How long is a piece of string?" at the best of times with Talent Pools.

I can't answer specifically for DB Cargo (I didn't even know they were recruiting, but I guess this has been a long time coming?), but the accommodation I'd imagine would depend on your distance from the training school and the company's policies. I know Freightliner supply accommodation Sunday to Thursday nights, and a hire car to travel to/from home on Sunday/Friday. I guess being a FOC DB would likely adopt this approach rather than travel by train? I was supplied accommodation for my classroom training (GWR) but travel was at my own expense if applicable. I don't live on GWR's network so I potentially had costs incurred, but if I lived on the network it would be free on GWR. Freight companies don't have this privilege and thus it may be cheaper to supply a car?.

MA8141

Unfortunately it's very much a case of "How long is a piece of string?" at the best of times with Talent Pools.

I can't answer specifically for DB Cargo (I didn't even know they were recruiting, but I guess this has been a long time coming?), but the accommodation I'd imagine would depend on your distance from the training school and the company's policies. I know Freightliner supply accommodation Sunday to Thursday nights, and a hire car to travel to/from home on Sunday/Friday. I guess being a FOC DB would likely adopt this approach rather than travel by train? I was supplied accommodation for my classroom training (GWR) but travel was at my own expense if applicable. I don't live on GWR's network so I potentially had costs incurred, but if I lived on the network it would be free on GWR. Freight companies don't have this privilege and thus it may be cheaper to supply a car?.
The accommodation here is what it is, Sunday to Thursday at a hotel close to the training location dictated, which may not be the closest to your home address. Travel is via your own car and mileage claimed back or a Rail ticket can be provided but that is for travel up on a Sunday and back on a Friday with a taxi fare to be reimbursed from station to hotel and then basically car share with others to the training location and back. Food is all paid for at the hotel, you just add it to your room and they do the business behind the scenes, lunch is paid for by you and reclaimed via an expenses sheet.

The bulk of initial training is classroom based with a Home Depot visit in there and some hands on in the seat yard driving when completing elements of the course such as traction. Once that is complete, it’s then all hands on deck for handling hours, which differ depending on junior driver or trainee mainline driver.

Unknown2020

Have you passed your DMI also or just passed the testing phase and awaiting DMI ?
Hi,
Yes i have passed both my psychometric assessments and my DMI, just awaiting a medical.

That's great, thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. :)

The accommodation here is what it is, Sunday to Thursday at a hotel close to the training location dictated, which may not be the closest to your home address. Travel is via your own car and mileage claimed back or a Rail ticket can be provided but that is for travel up on a Sunday and back on a Friday with a taxi fare to be reimbursed from station to hotel and then basically car share with others to the training location and back. Food is all paid for at the hotel, you just add it to your room and they do the business behind the scenes, lunch is paid for by you and reclaimed via an expenses sheet.

The bulk of initial training is classroom based with a Home Depot visit in there and some hands on in the seat yard driving when completing elements of the course such as traction. Once that is complete, it’s then all hands on deck for handling hours, which differ depending on junior driver or trainee mainline driver.
Thank you very much for the info, i appreciate you taking the time to reply. :)

Arnie

Hi,
Yes i have passed both my psychometric assessments and my DMI, just awaiting a medical.

That's great, thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. :)

Hi,

Hi Unknown2020
Pls can I ask when you did your psychometrics? Well done btw!
Thanks

Arnie

Thank you very much! :)
I did my psychometric assessment in Jan this year, and my DMI in Feb
Thanks

I was awaiting DMI when COVID hit as passed assessments in March. Did you speak to anyone in recruitment. And if so who as I’ve got no where

Unknown2020

I was awaiting DMI when COVID hit as passed assessments in March. Did you speak to anyone in recruitment. And if so who as I’ve got no where
I haven't spoken to anyone, but I did receive an email just explaining that due to current situation that recruitment was being put on hold, which is understandable.

Jaredbentley

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet? Currently waiting for my DMI and when I spoke to them a couple of months back everything was on hold until board say otherwise. Just curious to see if anyone has heard any different recently?

Thanks

sumperan

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything yet? Currently waiting for my DMI and when I spoke to them a couple of months back everything was on hold until board say otherwise. Just curious to see if anyone has heard any different recently?

Thanks

I am in a similiar position to yourself, have spoken HR last week and now have reason to believe that training has resumed, for the groups that had already began training prior to lockdown, however it is being judged on a day to day basis.
Going forward, once current courses have been completed we will be notified once new courses are planned to start.
The recruitment process will pick up where various applications have been left off.

Jaredbentley

Thanks for the reply. Thats good news then given whats going on. Hopefully hear something sooner rather than later, not in a major rush, as understand things will be difficult at the moment just be nice to be waiting for a course place rather than the last couple stages. Good luck with the rest of the process when it starts again

TCX320

Trying to find out more about the assessments for DB cargo. can anyone give me names of the tests or type of test?
Theres a lot of information on here but a lot of the abbreviations don't mean a lot if you're new to the industry.

iwasyoungonce

Is this for trainee driver ? if so its the usual OPC tests but they do them "in house" in small groups I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.