• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dealing with Assessments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Economist

I'm currently a Trainee Driver part-way through the Practical Handling phase of training. All of the feedback I've received so far has been positive and the DIs I've had thus far have been confident in my ability. However, I do worry a lot about the Initial Assessment (pretty much every day) even though it's a few months away. I knlw the pass rate tends to be high but I understand it can be very easy to fail.

May I ask others on here if it is normal to worry about it and how they handled nerves etc. during the test?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SPADTrap

Established Member
It is normal to worry about but by the time it comes you'll feel competent and hopefully sail through. I just buried the nerves. Interestingly having recently moved TOCs I was more nervous about 'passing out' at my new TOC than I was when I was a trainee driver!

choochoochoo

Established Member
Sounds easy, but be confident in your own ability without being cocky !!

I find assessors feed off of nerves. And whilst its understandable to be nervous, you've got this far so you must be able to do it.

Just do exactly what you do when you're with your DI

Economist

Thank you for the insights on this, it has been helpful to me.

choochoochoo, when you say that "assessors feed off nerves", would I be correct in thinking that they tend to make life more challenging for those who they perceive to be nervous?

How much does previous history come into play (Rules and Traction assessments etc.)? I've heard it mentioned that those who pass those first time statistically have a better chance of passing their Initial Assessment too.

James Percival

Hi all,

I'm just starting my journey to become a Southeasten Driver and was hoping you could give me some advice. I'm still waiting for my assessment dates to come though but want to get a head start. Could anyone recommend any sites I could go on to practise these tests? Also any advice all round would be very welcome, things that worked for you and things that didn't.

Many thanks

James

choochoochoo

Established Member
Thank you for the insights on this, it has been helpful to me.

choochoochoo, when you say that "assessors feed off nerves", would I be correct in thinking that they tend to make life more challenging for those who they perceive to be nervous?

How much does previous history come into play (Rules and Traction assessments etc.)? I've heard it mentioned that those who pass those first time statistically have a better chance of passing their Initial Assessment too.

Yes. I would do the same as an assessor. If the candidate isn't confident in their own ability, then why should I be confident in their ability. Just remember as a Driver you're always being watched. That Black Box is there for a reason. Think of the assessor as a fancy Black Box that also asks a few questions.

And assessors do look at your training records, so yes previous assessments will be factored in. Especially if you had to have a second attempt at an assessment.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Havent been given any hours yet, still waiting on my assessment dates

Apologies James, I was asking Economist.

JAmes, search OPC/MMI/DMI/SJT in this forum subsection and you will find all the information you need.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Yes. I would do the same as an assessor. If the candidate isn't confident in their own ability, then why should I be confident in their ability.

Then you would be a poor assessor. It is the job of the assessor to make the candidate feel comfortable and to ensure the safety of the train. If the assessor was not confident in the trainees ability then they should be removed from the chair.

No assessor should 'feed off nerves' Either put them as ease or stop the assessment.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Then you would be a poor assessor. It is the job of the assessor to make the candidate feel comfortable and to ensure the safety of the train. If the assessor was not confident in the trainees ability then they should be removed from the chair.

No assessor should 'feed off nerves' Either put them as ease or stop the assessment.

Yes in an ideal fluffy world that's what happens.

But I've seen it with my own eyes. If you have doubts on your answers the assessors will let you dig a hole to bury yourself.

The job comes with pressure, assessments are just a different type of pressure. You got to be able to deal with it and not fall apart.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Bad assessors do that and I have also had personal experience with that.

Let's not feed the fear and exaggerate what happens. The reality is that assessors will help you out for the most part and push you where they know you are capable.

There is always a heavy rumour mill around assessments and especially the ICA/Part 6. Lots of things have happened in the past and there is still lots of talk and idle gossip about what does and doesn't happen. Don't believe all you hear and when others fail, they are not always as honest about what happened.

Economist

Thankfully on the Rules/Traction side, I'm a bit more confident and my DM has seen me answer quite a few questions directly, it's the split-second error on the driving side which is worrying me.

Hours-wise, just over halfway through.

Thank you all for the responses on this topic.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Thankfully on the Rules/Traction side, I'm a bit more confident and my DM has seen me answer quite a few questions directly, it's the split-second error on the driving side which is worrying me.

Hours-wise, just over halfway through.

Thank you all for the responses on this topic.

You're only half-way through your hours, those split-second driving errors should become a thing of the past as you gain more experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.