• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Debit card handed to station staff - next steps of the staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Fox

For 'lost property' read 'lottery'. When station A (say for example Colchester) have my property and obligingly send it to station B (say Witham) then the next day station B had no knowledge of said property. So it takes 30 mins to force the champion wasoks at WTM to actually *LOOK* and eventually find in a drawer somewhere. OK, so this was Witham where if the staff were melted-down to tarmac I wouldn't walk on them, but even so: Assume the 'system' for dealing with lost property is useless.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
For 'lost property' read 'lottery'. When station A (say for example Colchester) have my property and obligingly send it to station B (say Witham) then the next day station B had no knowledge of said property. So it takes 30 mins to force the champion wasoks at WTM to actually *LOOK* and eventually find in a drawer somewhere. OK, so this was Witham where if the staff were melted-down to tarmac I wouldn't walk on them, but even so: Assume the 'system' for dealing with lost property is useless.
As someone who got a call from a rail lost property office to say they'd found my BlackBerry (found by a cleaner on a train a couple of weeks previous) I am most grateful that TOCs do appear to have decent lost property processes and honest staff.

I had no clue where I'd lost it or when (secondary device back then) so I didn't even report it lost.

If you're wondering, they charged it and saw the 'if lost..' message on the lock screen.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I’ve been bitten by this policy before, and while I understand the rationale, I’d be very grateful to anyone who broke it!

Passports are the most awful document to lose, not only because of the cost, expense and inconvenience of replacement, but also because for a few years thereafter you’ll find yourself called aside in every country you visit for a chat with an immigration officer about said passport loss. I think that only ended once the lost passport expired.
The policy of the supermarket I work for is to hold lost passports in the cash office for two weeks and then post them to HMPO along with a Recovered British Passport Form.

Trackman

Established Member
This isn't true. Apple knows the "base" card, and blocking it definitely causes it to disassociate from Apple Pay.
Correct, if you block a card you actually get a message on your phone saying it’s been blocked or whatever so you know you cannot use it.

Ediswan

Established Member
The policy of the supermarket I work for is to hold lost passports in the cash office for two weeks and then post them to HMPO along with a Recovered British Passport Form.
Far be it from me to question the wording on a government form, but the instruction to "Cut off the top right hand corner of the passport" gives me a mental image of somebody diligently trying to carve through the whole thing. The more common wording, and observed practice, is to "Cut off the top right corner of the front cover".

3rd rail land

Far be it from me to question the wording on a government form, but the instruction to "Cut off the top right hand corner of the passport" gives me a mental image of somebody diligently trying to carve through the whole thing. The more common wording, and observed practice, is to "Cut off the top right corner of the front cover".
When I received my old passport back after renewing it last year the top right corner of the front and back covers were cut off as was the bio data page.

Status
Not open for further replies.