• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2023 Timetable Change

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The problem is though, train companies other than c2c do not have self-contained routes, and timetable changes to many TOCs go hand-in-hand with others.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DDB

Maybe TOCs or lines with major recasts could have a thread each but lots of places have only minor changes and a thread for each seems like overkill.

MCR247

Established Member
I also think that the main purpose of RailUK (for me anyway) is to be a forum for discussion, rather than a public-service type bulletin board. I would imagine there are more minor changes to timetables that aren’t mentioned in this thread, so I’d say TOC publicity is probably the best place for that kind of thing. With not every TOCs changes necessarily having the same level of interest, my concern would be that the sub-forum becimes ‘cluttered’ with loads of timetable change threads, some of which only have a couple of replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
I understand why the point has been raised and can see it both ways.

My local small station has services operated by 3 TOCs, Northern, TPE and EMR. They offer single connections at points across the nation wirh XC, Avanti, LNER, Merseyrail, TfW, Thameslink, Hull Trains, GC, GN and GA. With a second connection I'm interested in services in Scotland and to Cornwall.

That's a lot of separate TOC threads to follow. Following one for Northern alone is likely to run to many pages.

Many of us travel widely but infrequently whereas many more use only one line every day

Some periods have more changes to note than others. The latest had none at all for my station. Previously there have been quite a lot.

Noting the trends across the nation also interests me. Leave it how it is would be my preference.

scrapy

Established Member
XC have enough overcrowding issues already without calling at any more stations to add more passengers.
The am peak service wasn't overcrowded from New St or even Stoke as was too early to be. So it was quite sensible to stop it at Congleton.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The am peak service wasn't overcrowded from New St or even Stoke as was too early to be. So it was quite sensible to stop it at Congleton.

A colleague used it from Congleton to Manchester and reported it being semi-busy from there and very busy from Macclesfield. A little less so on Fridays. This was circa 2015-2017.

A S Leib

I don't know if this is a new change with the December 2023 timetable or if it's been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but there's a direct service from Penzance to Aberdeen again from 23 January (06:28 weekdays, 06:32 Saturdays, starts at Temple Meads Sundays).

Adam0984

I don't know if this is a new change with the December 2023 timetable or if it's been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but there's a direct service from Penzance to Aberdeen again from 23 January (06:28 weekdays, 06:32 Saturdays, starts at Temple Meads Sundays).
Just for 1 week by the looks of it because of the diversion via Westbury between Taunton and Bristol TM which adds an hour and pushes the path onto the next hours destination after Bristol

JW4

I caught it once from Wilmslow after work there one day. Was a very handy connection to Reading without having to change in the Midlands.
Looks like Wilmslow is getting XC calls tomorrow and on Saturday 20th with engineering work affecting Macclesfield. When was the last time they called there?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like Wilmslow is getting XC calls tomorrow and on Saturday 20th with engineering work affecting Macclesfield. When was the last time they called there?
The last time the route via Macclesfield was closed for planned engineering works? I remember catching a XC from Wilmslow in January last year when Stockport was closed (trains running nonstop Stafford - Wilmslow then via the Airport line to reach Piccadilly).

MikeWM

Established Member
Since the timetable change, we seem to be back to the pattern of two of GA's weekday evening Liverpool Street - Ely services stopping at Cambridge North (the 1558 and 1907) but the other two not calling (the 1707 and the 1807).

Actually it has 'officially' been like this since the May 2023 change, but for most of last summer the 1707 and 1807 kept on getting short-term modifications each week to add the CMB stop anyway. I haven't seen that happen since the December timetable change though. Does anyone know why these trains aren't timetabled to call at CMB, and whether they will change in the future to do so? I see no reason why they can't call.

On a related note, will the timetable ever allow the running of the two currently 'missing' services from Cambridge North to Liverpool Street between 1713 and 1842? It's really quite irritating that compared to the rest of the day, Cambridge North gets a sparser service towards Cambridge at exactly the time people want to commute.