• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Decidedly middling in the Midlands - a day of Diamond and First Midlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
All

Had a day off on Friday and decided to have a day out courtesy of a Worcestershire CC "Connecta" ticket. The info online was looking decidedly out of date but some vague mentions on the Diamond and First websites encouraged me to go for it anyway.

I drove up to Tewkesbury for the 540 to Evesham. Fuelled with coffee, I went into bat and naturally, the Astons driver had no knowledge of such a ticket. The confusion not being helped by him being Eastern European and not having great English. Still, we found it on the ticket machine and many smiles and 8 quid later, we were sorted. It being 0830, it was too early for passes and so few passengers in the next hour as the modern Streetlite made its way on the tendered run and, despite it being lightly loaded and on a rural service, the Streetlite wasn't a bad machine to spend an hour on. One other observation - why doesn't a sparsely loaded tendered route extend the two minutes from the layover stop and run to the rail station? I'm not in favour of running to the station as per the law of the continent, but when it can be done, why not?

Diamond Bus

Now I've not been on a Diamond bus outside WM but have read some fairly scathing comments. Hence I was keen to see what the Worcestershire operations would be like. Waiting on what passes for Evesham bus station (two stops on the main drag) was the first of three Diamond journeys. It was another Streetlite, being a 65 plate. No issues with my ticket though the driver was wrestling with a sickly Ticketer machine. However, as soon as he started the engine, the rattling began. I've seen and heard this on a few Streetlites (but not my earlier one); a rattle of poor build quality around the emergency door. We set off with that accompaniment on a 247 for Redditch that loops through half the town and various retail parks before finally exiting and heading for Bidford. This means a visit fleetingly into Warwickshire where (in the absence of Worcestershire style CC flags) it seems that First Midland Red still operates. Passenger figures thinned out, only climbing again from Alcester. However, it was the performance of the Streetlite that was most alarming - barely able to climb the hill from the Alex hospital in Redditch. A total contrast to the earlier Streetlite that performed ably.

A very quick change in Redditch onto 30932, a former First Dart and one of the few machines inherited when Rotala bought the Kiddy and Redditch ops. However, not before being able to hear several people in Redditch bus station complaining about the poor service provided by Diamond. People seemed very vocal, complaining about no shows etc. In fairness, this Dart provided a very speedy, on time trip via Bromsgrove to Kidderminster. Granted, it had a few rattles as a 14 year old Dart would, but it was not too bad.

We arrived at Kiddy bus station, where bored looking Diamond drivers were waiting for their various machines - no welfare facilities? I grabbed a coffee in Coffee #1 and then went for the 2 to Bewdley. All this time, various Diamond vehicles arrived and left - all in range of colours. We had standard blue of course. There were ex Hansons white blue and green plus ex Central Buses red, white, grey and yellow, all with Diamond logos unceremoniously clagged on. There was also a Volvo in full Wessex Star livery. Clearly, Kiddy is the place to be if you want to relive your days of being in Bristol - my bus to Bewdley was an ex Bristol Eclipse 30813. A notice on the stand stated that the half hourly 2/2A was being re-routed and that one variation was being speeded up to avoid one estate as from 2nd Sep but that if that didn't result in increase loadings, it would be withdrawn as from 28th Sep..... Work that one out.

What I saw in Diamond was an operation that seemed to hark back to the 1990s. Many vehicles in various liveries. Those vehicles in Diamond blue looked shabby - ill matched panels so that the Diamond fleetname was in two halves of different sizes on more than one vehicle. There was an almost total lack of internal advertising and promotion but then again, why promote when the base product is seemingly so far from being right.

The Indies

After the short hop to Bewdley and a break for lunch, some intensely rural operations as I travelled on R&B Travel's tendered run to Tenbury Wells - a very cute place with lots of old established retailers and traders (necessitating another border crossing to and from Shropshire) using a slightly tired Solo that in keeping with the retro feel still retained roller blinds; the driver was unsure of my ticket - probably on the grounds of rarity! My next bus was the long established Yarranton Bros service to Worcester. They have operated this for many years as an old style independent - one main stage route, a few additional market services and then schools and coaching. Their stage run depends on college kids and necessitates a full size bus in the fleet - usually a heavyweight. Having had Omnicities and Solars in the past, it is currently a 14 plate Citaro. To be fair, it was a lovely machine and was spotless, though with a few uncharacteristic rattles and squeaks. Even on a Friday afternoon, there were a few passengers and most were fair paying adolescents rather than pensioners. We were late into Worcester and so slightly hampered the second stage of my plan.

First Midlands

First Midlands' Worcester depot is the last remaining outpost of the former MRW business, a firm butchered by closures and sales. I was keen to see what this was like, given the news of more service reductions/changes etc but also new developments. The late running arrival meant I missed my chance to do the revised Salt Road 144 to Droitwich. Instead, I caught a related 144A short working with a Barbie liveried B7TL, leaping off to allow me to catch a refurbished Salt Road Eclipse heading the other way. From the dowdy Barbie to a nicely appointed Eclipse with internal promotion and USB ports etc.

It really sums up First's Worcester operations. It has the potential and some high points. There has been investment - new fleet arrived with Streetlites and Streetdecks albeit in standard livery with a fuchsia front and some route branding. There have been route developments like extending the 144A to Stourbridge commercially, or the Evesham route to Alcester yet these haven't survived. Is it because the marketing seems haphazard or incomplete?

To sum this up, it was my final journey. The 363 to Tewkesbury. I did think about getting the 332 to Upton and changing but decided against that risk and so eschewed the modern Streetlite. Instead, the 363 was a 2003 Solo in 53048 - clearly it had a mid life overhaul judging by the decent seats but the exterior was a Worcester City logo on standard faded, battered Barbie. This route is apparently due for major cuts (though reports suggest it has been retained for a little while pending a review).

It really summed things up. You have a corridor with inconsistent services, inconsistent quality, muddled branding. The good mixed up with the decidedly average. And then it started raining!

All in all, I found it all rather depressing - two very average operators (though First was much better than Diamond) in a county that barely supports bus services and has a bus ticket in Connecta that would be quite handy but is barely promoted.

Hope this has been of interest and has shone a light on a rather neglected part of the country.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
All

Had a day off on Friday and decided to have a day out courtesy of a Worcestershire CC "Connecta" ticket. The info online was looking decidedly out of date but some vague mentions on the Diamond and First websites encouraged me to go for it anyway.

I drove up to Tewkesbury for the 540 to Evesham. Fuelled with coffee, I went into bat and naturally, the Astons driver had no knowledge of such a ticket. The confusion not being helped by him being Eastern European and not having great English. Still, we found it on the ticket machine and many smiles and 8 quid later, we were sorted. It being 0830, it was too early for passes and so few passengers in the next hour as the modern Streetlite made its way on the tendered run and, despite it being lightly loaded and on a rural service, the Streetlite wasn't a bad machine to spend an hour on. One other observation - why doesn't a sparsely loaded tendered route extend the two minutes from the layover stop and run to the rail station? I'm not in favour of running to the station as per the law of the continent, but when it can be done, why not?

Diamond Bus

Now I've not been on a Diamond bus outside WM but have read some fairly scathing comments. Hence I was keen to see what the Worcestershire operations would be like. Waiting on what passes for Evesham bus station (two stops on the main drag) was the first of three Diamond journeys. It was another Streetlite, being a 65 plate. No issues with my ticket though the driver was wrestling with a sickly Ticketer machine. However, as soon as he started the engine, the rattling began. I've seen and heard this on a few Streetlites (but not my earlier one); a rattle of poor build quality around the emergency door. We set off with that accompaniment on a 247 for Redditch that loops through half the town and various retail parks before finally exiting and heading for Bidford. This means a visit fleetingly into Warwickshire where (in the absence of Worcestershire style CC flags) it seems that First Midland Red still operates. Passenger figures thinned out, only climbing again from Alcester. However, it was the performance of the Streetlite that was most alarming - barely able to climb the hill from the Alex hospital in Redditch. A total contrast to the earlier Streetlite that performed ably.

A very quick change in Redditch onto 30932, a former First Dart and one of the few machines inherited when Rotala bought the Kiddy and Redditch ops. However, not before being able to hear several people in Redditch bus station complaining about the poor service provided by Diamond. People seemed very vocal, complaining about no shows etc. In fairness, this Dart provided a very speedy, on time trip via Bromsgrove to Kidderminster. Granted, it had a few rattles as a 14 year old Dart would, but it was not too bad.

We arrived at Kiddy bus station, where bored looking Diamond drivers were waiting for their various machines - no welfare facilities? I grabbed a coffee in Coffee #1 and then went for the 2 to Bewdley. All this time, various Diamond vehicles arrived and left - all in range of colours. We had standard blue of course. There were ex Hansons white blue and green plus ex Central Buses red, white, grey and yellow, all with Diamond logos unceremoniously clagged on. There was also a Volvo in full Wessex Star livery. Clearly, Kiddy is the place to be if you want to relive your days of being in Bristol - my bus to Bewdley was an ex Bristol Eclipse 30813. A notice on the stand stated that the half hourly 2/2A was being re-routed and that one variation was being speeded up to avoid one estate as from 2nd Sep but that if that didn't result in increase loadings, it would be withdrawn as from 28th Sep..... Work that one out.

What I saw in Diamond was an operation that seemed to hark back to the 1990s. Many vehicles in various liveries. Those vehicles in Diamond blue looked shabby - ill matched panels so that the Diamond fleetname was in two halves of different sizes on more than one vehicle. There was an almost total lack of internal advertising and promotion but then again, why promote when the base product is seemingly so far from being right.

The Indies

After the short hop to Bewdley and a break for lunch, some intensely rural operations as I travelled on R&B Travel's tendered run to Tenbury Wells - a very cute place with lots of old established retailers and traders (necessitating another border crossing to and from Shropshire) using a slightly tired Solo that in keeping with the retro feel still retained roller blinds; the driver was unsure of my ticket - probably on the grounds of rarity! My next bus was the long established Yarranton Bros service to Worcester. They have operated this for many years as an old style independent - one main stage route, a few additional market services and then schools and coaching. Their stage run depends on college kids and necessitates a full size bus in the fleet - usually a heavyweight. Having had Omnicities and Solars in the past, it is currently a 14 plate Citaro. To be fair, it was a lovely machine and was spotless, though with a few uncharacteristic rattles and squeaks. Even on a Friday afternoon, there were a few passengers and most were fair paying adolescents rather than pensioners. We were late into Worcester and so slightly hampered the second stage of my plan.

First Midlands

First Midlands' Worcester depot is the last remaining outpost of the former MRW business, a firm butchered by closures and sales. I was keen to see what this was like, given the news of more service reductions/changes etc but also new developments. The late running arrival meant I missed my chance to do the revised Salt Road 144 to Droitwich. Instead, I caught a related 144A short working with a Barbie liveried B7TL, leaping off to allow me to catch a refurbished Salt Road Eclipse heading the other way. From the dowdy Barbie to a nicely appointed Eclipse with internal promotion and USB ports etc.

It really sums up First's Worcester operations. It has the potential and some high points. There has been investment - new fleet arrived with Streetlites and Streetdecks albeit in standard livery with a fuchsia front and some route branding. There have been route developments like extending the 144A to Stourbridge commercially, or the Evesham route to Alcester yet these haven't survived. Is it because the marketing seems haphazard or incomplete?

To sum this up, it was my final journey. The 363 to Tewkesbury. I did think about getting the 332 to Upton and changing but decided against that risk and so eschewed the modern Streetlite. Instead, the 363 was a 2003 Solo in 53048 - clearly it had a mid life overhaul judging by the decent seats but the exterior was a Worcester City logo on standard faded, battered Barbie. This route is apparently due for major cuts (though reports suggest it has been retained for a little while pending a review).

It really summed things up. You have a corridor with inconsistent services, inconsistent quality, muddled branding. The good mixed up with the decidedly average. And then it started raining!

All in all, I found it all rather depressing - two very average operators (though First was much better than Diamond) in a county that barely supports bus services and has a bus ticket in Connecta that would be quite handy but is barely promoted.

Hope this has been of interest and has shone a light on a rather neglected part of the country.
My most recent visit to Kidderminster produced a similar down at heal image, despite a couple of Diamond's vehicles being only a couple of years old. (Not helped by one of the other operators there running ancient minibuses!). Worcester usually feels better with evidence of investment on some services however First's livery on an aging Solo is never going to give a good impression so sticking a logo on the side isn't money well spent! Last time I was there Coniston Coaches were running a similar aged Solo that look immaculate (externally at least).

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I find Diamond/Rotala absolutely rubbish everywhere except Preston. That, I gather, is because many of the staff there are still ex-Preston.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It's a long time since I heard anyone say 'I wish I'd gone to Redditch' - and there's a good reason why it's rarely heard !

Mwanesh

I think Rotala owners can do a good job if they want.One of the co owners runs Yourbus in Heanor he has been picking up fights with other operators.He once took on Trent Barton and got a beating .Now he is taking on Arriva Derby .There are areas that need a bus service but he goes for long established routes.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I think Rotala owners can do a good job if they want.One of the co owners runs Yourbus in Heanor he has been picking up fights with other operators.He once took on Trent Barton and got a beating .Now he is taking on Arriva Derby .There are areas that need a bus service but he goes for long established routes.

He's not a co-owner. Yourbus is run by his brother.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Living in Stourbridge, I'm subjected to the abysmal service that Diamond in Kidderminster provide and I can honestly say that the only decent drivers there are the ex Hanson's and ex Central Buses drivers.

At least you survived your journeys with Diamond without a wheel falling off or going up in flames....

He's not a co-owner. Yourbus is run by his brother.

In the early days of Yourbus there was several vehicles loaned to and from Diamond (such as one of the Royale Diamonds going on the Y81 and a Yourbus Wright/Scania branded for the 36 on the 417 in West Bromwich)

Smethwickian

Regarding the original post by TheGrandWazooo, it is lucky indeed the driver of his first bus from Tewkesbury sold him the County Connecta - because it is not actually supposed to be valid between Tewkesbury (in Gloucestershire) and the Worcestershire county boundary. Neither was it intended to be valid on the stretch of the 247 which passes through Bidford-on-Avon in Warwickshire. Unfortunately the county council has never adequately advertised the ticket's existence let alone its conditions. And it has made such a hash of public transport information on its website that the list of boundary points once buried away on a pdf download has disappeared, and all the prices are out of date, so it's probably now just pot luck getting drivers to sell or accept it anywhere.
Oh, and I hate to be picky but the 144A variant the OP is thinking of was extended to Halesowen, not Stourbridge, for a short time and numbered 147.
Finally, anyone wanting to emulate parts of the itinerary above should be warned of big cuts to First services in the Upton, Tewkesbury, Pershore and Vale of Evesham areas from September 17, and therefore check their schedules carefully.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Hi Smethwickian

It was the 147 I was thinking about (being lazy about mentioning the different number) but fair cop on the Stourbridge error. And yes, I was fully prepared to pay the extra to the county boundary :D

The Tewkesbury to Worcester run has been on the bucket list for a while - news of its demise was what prompted me to have a day out as well as the other reasons :)

carlberry

Established Member
Regarding the original post by TheGrandWazooo, it is lucky indeed the driver of his first bus from Tewkesbury sold him the County Connecta - because it is not actually supposed to be valid between Tewkesbury (in Gloucestershire) and the Worcestershire county boundary.
I suspect the driver just wanted to get stop getting hassle from the passenger who appeared to know more about his ticket machine than he did!

DD12

I suspect the driver just wanted to get stop getting hassle from the passenger who appeared to know more about his ticket machine than he did!

Thanks very much TGW for doing this tour of "my patch" and giving us your report.

I'm an enthusiast (only), based in Worcester, and the imminent cuts are very disappointing and worrying too --
me and my siblings are all approaching retirement age, and need the option of the bus - with no further service cuts.

- none of us would mind paying half-price, or £1 per journey say, - when we have our OAP passes,
and none of us know when health problems or very high car insurance will prevent us from running a car !

Typhoon

Established Member
Thanks for a very interesting and perceptive account of bus operation in an area I used to know quite well.
I do find myself wondering how the three MR companies (East [Fox], North and West) that Stagecoach didn't get would have fared under Stagecoach, and for all I don't much like Stagecoach I have to say that none of the three would have fared as poorly as they have under First and Arriva.
This would be difficult to judge exactly. However, in areas adjacent to the areas affected by the biggest of the forthcoming cuts to the Worcestershire network (South Herefordshire and North Gloucestershire) Stagecoach appear to have not made a bad fist of things.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Thanks for a very interesting and perceptive account of bus operation in an area I used to know quite well.

This would be difficult to judge exactly. However, in areas adjacent to the areas affected by the biggest of the forthcoming cuts to the Worcestershire network (South Herefordshire and North Gloucestershire) Stagecoach appear to have not made a bad fist of things.

That is perhaps one of the more saddening aspects. Looking at the neighbouring Stagecoach subsidiaries, you have Stagecoach Midlands who have developed X18 and X19 from Stratford to Evesham and Redditch - IIRC, these were the infrequent 26 to Redditch (now hourly) and the 28 to Evesham (was hourly now every 30 mins). Stagecoach West have also developed their interurban routes like the services from Gloucester to Forest of Dean (though there has been some trimming at times), or Cheltenham to Tewkesbury. Local routes in Gloucester and Cheltenham are probably in better shape too.

It feels like there is the potential to develop the now rather isolated Worcester operation but marketing and development seems inconsistent.

Smethwickian

In areas adjacent to the areas affected by the biggest of the forthcoming cuts to the Worcestershire network (South Herefordshire and North Gloucestershire) Stagecoach appear to have not made a bad fist of things.
I agree. Although of course reductions in council support have left things, like most shire counties, a bit thin in the evenings and on Sundays, there is still a decent, regular weekday network between all the main towns such as Ross, Coleford, Cinderford, Lydney and Gloucester, for example. And Tewkesbury is well served for people heading towards both Cheltenham and Gloucester.

Typhoon

Established Member
Looking at the neighbouring Stagecoach subsidiaries, you have Stagecoach Midlands who have developed X18 and X19 from Stratford to Evesham and Redditch - IIRC, these were the infrequent 26 to Redditch (now hourly) and the 28 to Evesham (was hourly now every 30 mins).
Those reliant on public transport may feel that Stratford is a more enticing and convenient shopping centre than Worcester. In fact, the Astons route to Tewkesbury offers a better frequency than many First routes. (I last used the 540 in the 70s - I'm certain it wasn't better then.)
It feels like there is the potential to develop the now rather isolated Worcester operation but marketing and development seems inconsistent.
I am reminded of the Northampton operation, smallish urban network, nothing in the area to support it, little development. How long before a predator stakes a claim - and the worrying thing is the obvious predator would be Rotala. (This might be going too far.)

Typhoon

Established Member
Although of course reductions in council support have left things, like most shire counties, a bit thin in the evenings and on Sundays, there is still a decent, regular weekday network between all the main towns such as Ross, Coleford, Cinderford, Lydney and Gloucester, for example. And Tewkesbury is well served for people heading towards both Cheltenham and Gloucester.
True. Most shire counties bus network is thinning. However, Worcestershire is developing some rather large bald patches with just a few narrow strands across it.

Status
Not open for further replies.