• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Decision making as a train driver

Do you prefer making quick decisions based on your knowledge without looking at all the facts?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 94.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2018railjob

Hi there, I'm applying for a train driver trainee position and one yes or no question has me a little concerned, it seems straight forward at first but the wording has got me thinking twice so I thought others opinions on it may help to clarify things.

The question reads as follows -
Do you prefer making quick decisions based on your knowledge without looking at all the facts?

For one, I wold like feedback on whether the following assumption of mine is correct - from what I understand, as a train driver, there may be situations you need to make a judgement call based on your own knowledge, but that one should base decisions based on all the facts where possible and avoid making decision based solely based on your own judgement when you can look at all the facts.

The choice of "prefer" in the question is what has me thinking twice, as in what are they trying to understand about me from this question?

Are they asking in this manner to assess whether or not I can cope under pressure if I have to make decisions without having all the facts (in which case a yes would be the answer for me to go with)
- OR -
are they asking to see whether or not I'm impulsive and will make decisions without accounting for all the facts (in which case a no would be the answer to go with).

self quote from below -
My assumption, which I'd like feedback on, is that a train driver works with the signals and information received, and NOT on their own knowledge, as we wouldn't have the info for the entire network we're running on i.e as driver you drive based on signals/info received from Control, you NEVER have all the info to make a decision but are mean to follow Controls guidance - in which case the answer should be a yes?.

But then again when it says facts, I'm assuming it would mean facts available to myself, in which case it could be a no? or is it testing how much I can trust Control and follow their guidance after all?

Just trying to see things from their perspective.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Serjsk

I think you are right that ‘prefer’ is critical. The safest way to look at it, the best angle with any of these questions, is that you do not prefer to make decisions without all the facts. If it asked whether you ‘can’ react without all the facts, then your answer would be different.

2018railjob

I think you are right that ‘prefer’ is critical. The safest way to look at it, the best angle with any of these questions, is that you do not prefer to make decisions without all the facts. If it asked whether you ‘can’ react without all the facts, then your answer would be different.

It's the only question that's got me confused, because it has a number of things the assessor may be looking at, my preference, to make quick decisions (which I'm assuming is in line with the rail driver experience), but then "based on my knowledge over all the facts" (implying some facts perhaps?) - which may be part for the course of a train driver who has to respond to signals received in the cabin.

My assumption, which I'd like feedback on, is that a train driver works with the signals and information received, and NOT on their own knowledge, as we wouldn't have the info for the entire network we're running on i.e as driver you drive based on signals/info received from signals, you NEVER have all the info to make a decision but are mean to follow signals guidance - in which case the answer should be a yes?.

But then again when it says facts, I'm assuming it would mean facts available to myself, in which case it could be a no? or is it testing how much I can trust signals and follow their guidance after all?

just trying to look at things from their perspective.

Last edited:

JSegat

I would say that is like you taking something as guaranteed as it always happens as per your knowledge. But you can't be sure as you don't know all the facts.

I see the question as: Do you prefer to spend time checking all the facts or just make a quick decision based on what you know about that situation.

As said the prefer is the key, I would prefer to double check everything and not take a rushed decision, but if needed I would take a quick one.

TonyMontana

You could break the question down, simplify it a bit

Do you prefer making quick decisions based on your knowledge without looking at all the facts

Do you make quick decisions without looking at all the facts

Trainguy90

Crap question their are so many variables depending on situations, but ultimately once you see a fact it becomes your knowledge

4F89

And you can only base your actions on information to hand. You can't know unknowns.

ComUtoR

Established Member
You already have your answer. You are clearly someone who wants all the facts first.

These kind of questions do not have a right of wrong answer. The big problem is that you are overthinking it and trying to find an answer you think suits them rather than answering the question honestly. Then your in a situation where you may be pushed to clarify any answer given and discuss your responses. Then your stuck.

Just answer honestly.

Narom

Surely your answer is no?

We can't answer for you only you can. By coming on here and asking you've answered it.

TheNewBoy

I understand your predicament, although I’ve no real solution to your quandary. I found myself second guessing myself during the Conductor Assessment I attended. There were scenarios given, with four possible answers. We had to put the four answers in order of preference, based on what would be the best outcome for the customer. But the problems arose when you considered that at least two of the four options might’ve been satisfactory for the customer, based upon their individual preferences.

These questions were at worst, a little ambiguous. But when you’re trying to put your best ‘self’ forward to the TOC, you’re eager to overthink every scenario in a bid to answer as best as you can.

All I can say is don’t overthink things. Good luck, let us know how you progress

Status
Not open for further replies.