• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Defacing non concessionary oyster in protest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
What a weird, weird post. Sounds a lot like throwing toys out of prams but had to ask permission first :lol::lol::lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeg

Established Member
Yes, there are rules against it. See TfL conditions of carriage 6.1.4:

All Oyster cards remain our property and must not be intentionally damaged, altered or tampered with in any way

Thus damaging it is against the conditions of carriage and since it is not yours intentionally damaging it could count as criminal damage.

Clip

Established Member
Workino on a bus yester day and the level of abuse recieved from LU and arriva employees travelling as passengers. was terrible.

Well did you report them? Im sure your bus has CCTV so you could easily get that and forward to the relevant people to take action.

Plus I think the OP is on about defacing someone elses card..

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Well did you report them? Im sure your bus has CCTV so you could easily get that and forward to the relevant people to take action.

And if they were using staff/bus operator Oyster cards it should be very easy to trace them so long as the OP reports it quickly (individual Oyster details are only associated with a particular bus and trip for a few days).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Damaging or defacing someone else's Oyster is not a good way of making a protest. You would be far better advised to simply report unacceptable behaviour, otherwise you will probably end up in more trouble than the culprits.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Damaging or defacing someone else's Oyster is not a good way of making a protest. You would be far better advised to simply report unacceptable behaviour, otherwise you will probably end up in more trouble than the culprits.

I was talking about defacing my own oyster card . I was just really mad last week at the behaviour of two employees in the service who were rude and abusive to me doing my job.They were behaving more rudely than any scool kid I have encountered.

Last edited:

DelayRepay

Established Member
I was talking about defacing my own oyster card and it was because on the same bus journey I recieved abuse from an arriva bus driver and an member of London underground staff on the same journey. So if TFL employees cannot even show respect to their own collegues how must they behave to members of the public.Especially when they understand reasons behind bus curtailments and late running.

It is not acceptable for anyone to abuse transport staff, whether the abuser is a fellow staff member or not. This should be reported.

I am not sure how defacing your own Oyster card will help to remedy the situation though, won't it just cause you problems if you meet an RPI who isn't happy with what you've done (whether it is legal or not)?

carriageline

Established Member
I was talking about defacing my own oyster card . I was just really mad last week at the behaviour of two employees in the service who were rude and abusive to me doing my job.They were behaving more rudely than any scool kid I have encountered.

So your upset with TfL, so want to ruin your Oyster card, how would that solve anything apart from being extremely childish? Sorry but that's frankly hilarious. You think TFL are going to really care about you ruining YOUR OWN Oyster card, and then have to go and get it replaced?

Sorry but all I can imagine is a kid screaming ripping up an Oyster card, then going back the next day to get another one, cap in hand [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]:lol::lol:

Report whatever happened to TfL, and the staff will be dealt with appropriately. Damaging property that doesn't belong to you might not necessarily end well.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd be interested to hear what actually happened!

Also a protest aimed at TfL because of one bad member of LU staff doesn't seem proportionate (there are some terrible LU gateline staff out there, on wages of £30k+ who can be found blatantly flouting their job description and person spec) as the vast majority of LU staff do a great job and would not behave in the way you experienced, I'm sure!

As for the Arriva part of it, surely a protest would have to be aimed at DB?! ;)

I agree with others that it would be better to report the matter, but I am curious to learn what the circumstances were! Was it a case of two people involved in the same incident or two separate incidents?

6Gman

Established Member
I have 'defaced' my own, and my wife's, Oyster Cards by writing an initial on each corner so we know whose is whose. (They have slightly different concessions attached)

Hopefully that's allowed! :)

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Also a protest aimed at TfL because of one bad member of LU staff doesn't seem proportionate (there are some terrible LU gateline staff out there, on wages of £30k+ who can be found blatantly flouting their job description and person spec) as the vast majority of LU staff do a great job and would not behave in the way you experienced, I'm sure!

Why do you so often quote the salaries of LU barrier staff? If some are not correctly enforcing restrictions they should be corrected/retrained/disciplined as appropriate. Are you simply highlighting that they get less than the average London wage?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why do you so often quote the salaries of LU barrier staff? If some are not correctly enforcing restrictions they should be corrected/retrained/disciplined as appropriate. Are you simply highlighting that they get less than the average London wage?
While the majority are good, there are far too many bad experiences of LU gateline staff and it is a cause for concern. I know some people have been given such a hard time by them on a regular basis, have made many complaints and yet nothing ever happens, despite their job description going on and on about what a good service they should provide. Sadly there appears to be little or no checks made to ensure that how they behave is in line with expectations. £30k is a large salary and much higher than equivalent positions at other TOCs, even in London.

matt_world2004

Established Member

As for the Arriva part of it, surely a protest would have to be aimed at DB?! ;)

I agree with others that it would be better to report the matter, but I am curious to learn what the circumstances were! Was it a case of two people involved in the same incident or two separate incidents?
Two seperate incidents but on a bus who had a total number of passengers in excess of 250 over the trip and was the receiving end of passengers being transferred from other curtailed busses They were giving abuse because they had to transfer and/or the bus was full.

The plan was just to stick swasticas or some other offensive symbol on it. It would have still functioned as an oyster card. Not going to do it now I was just mad at the treatment by these two staff members at the time calmed down a bit now :)

Last edited:

carriageline

Established Member
For those not totally au fait with such matters, what do you mean by this part of your posting?

I am unsure if they displayed (I post on my phone) but they were crying with laughter emoticons.

Anyway, I was simply laughing at how ridiculous this whole thing is!

carriageline

Established Member
Sorry but we ask that people only use the forum supported emoticons, as most people will not be able to see custom ones for particular devices.

No, that's fair enough! I know it's a stupid idea to use them (as you say, only iphone users will see them) but I'm so use to using them in text and apps etc it slipped my mind!) will refrain in future ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, that's fair enough! I know it's a stupid idea to use them (as you say, only iphone users will see them) but I'm so use to using them in text and apps etc it slipped my mind!) will refrain in future ;)
Thanks! :)

bnm

Established Member
The plan was just to stick swasticas or some other offensive symbol on it.

And that would have achieved what as a protest? And what happens the next time your Oyster card is seen by a Jewish member of TfL staff?

Actually, go ahead. I look forward to reading in the Evening Standard about the racist guy sacked by TfL for having swastikas on his Oyster card.

talldave

Established Member
As someone who regularly has posts deleted for wandering off topic, I have to question how this thread relates to fares??

motherwell334

As has been said previously, get this reported to the relevant people asap, as the CCTV and downloads from the on board ticket machine are only saved for several days.

The people you claim that were giving u abuse etc,wouldn't be long in reporting you if you did this to them.

Most TOC's and transport companies all have notices on their services stating that they wont tolerate any sort of abuse aimed at their staff, whether it be verbal or physical..

matt_world2004

Established Member
And that would have achieved what as a protest? And what happens the next time your Oyster card is seen by a Jewish member of TfL staff?

Actually, go ahead. I look forward to reading in the Evening Standard about the racist guy sacked by TfL for having swastikas on his Oyster card.

Erm you do realise complaining about abuse is not racism right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.