• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay – Two Rail Companies Paying Out For Same Claim

hawk1911

This is not the first time this has happened to me, and I suspect it won't be the last.

Journey Date: 24 February 2024

Planned Itinerary:
Barrow-in-Furness d 14:47 - Northern
Preston a 16:08

Preston d 16:18 – Avanti
Stafford a 17:22

The Northern service ran, but the Avanti service was cancelled and the following Avanti service arrived into Stafford at 18:24, a 62 minute delay.

I put a claim into Avanti for a 50% Delay Repay claim (on a return ticket).

Avanti, rejected the claim and the appeal, on the basis that Northern were responsible. Only when I submitted a complaint, did they accept responsibility and pay out.

However, in the meantime, Avanti had forwarded my claim to Northern and despite my best efforts (an email to Northern telling them to ignore that claim), they have paid out as well.

I have sent a further email to Northern, to let them know they have paid me incorrectly, so I'm waiting to see how they propose claiming the money back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Almost certainly there'll be no mechanism to repay it (I've tried to repay overpayments and have given up and donated to charity instead).

If they do indeed do nothing, perhaps the Railway Children would be appropriate, or a similar rail-related charity?

greyman42

Established Member
Just consider it your lucky day, spend or save the money as you wish and forget about it.

hawk1911

I've now received Northern's reply and their bottom line is keep the money, but their reasoning is very interesting, as to who is technically responsible for the delay.

My argument, which Avanti ultimately accepted was that Avanti were responsible, as their train from Preston, was cancelled (and I have would have been able to catch it if it had run).

Northern's argument is that their service was 5 minutes late into Preston, leaving only 5 minutes for me to catch the cancelled Avanti service, below Preston's minimum connection time of 8 minutes, and so Northern are arguing that they were responsible. However, as both services were scheduled to run in and out of platform 4 at Preston, this wouldn't have stopped me making the connection (had the Avanti service operated).

Interesting, as the advice on here, I think, has always been to claim from the first company to cause the delay to the service and, in my opinion, the 62 minute delay into Stafford was caused wholly by Avanti, not Northern.

Wolfie

Established Member
I've now received Northern's reply and their bottom line is keep the money, but their reasoning is very interesting, as to who is technically responsible for the delay.

My argument, which Avanti ultimately accepted was that Avanti were responsible, as their train from Preston, was cancelled (and I have would have been able to catch it if it had run).

Northern's argument is that their service was 5 minutes late into Preston, leaving only 5 minutes for me to catch the cancelled Avanti service, below Preston's minimum connection time of 8 minutes, and so Northern are arguing that they were responsible. However, as both services were scheduled to run in and out of platform 4 at Preston, this wouldn't have stopped me making the connection (had the Avanti service operated).

Interesting, as the advice on here, I think, has always been to claim from the first company to cause the delay to the service and, in my opinion, the 62 minute delay into Stafford was caused wholly by Avanti, not Northern.
I have to say that having two companies ultimately both argue that they are responsible is refreshing given how many times their default is to wash their hands and deny any responsibility.

Haywain

Veteran Member

The question that arises now is whether you should inform Avanti that Northern have accepted responsibility and paid out!

hawk1911

The question that arises now is whether you should inform Avanti that Northern have accepted responsibility and paid out!
I see no point in dragging Avanti back into this as I firmly believe Avanti were correct to pay out.

There is nothing that Northern did that caused me to arrive 62 minutes late at my destination. I have expressed my view to Northern and offered to pay the money back to them, which they have declined.