• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay - How would this work

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_t

My son is currently on the 1503 from Birmingham New Street, getting to Doncaster at 1717, in time for the 1726 Hull Trains getting into Selby at 1743 on an Off-Peak return

However, the first train is currently 50 minutes late, so it is unlikely it will make up enough time to get the connection at Doncaster and I don't think I can see another one leaving until about 1911, so I'll probably just end up going to Doncaster to do a bit of spotting and then pick him up.

If I put in for Delay Repay, presumably I do it to Cross Country, but do I base it on the time he gets into Doncaster, or the time he would have got into Selby if he had waited for the next train ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Send it to Crosscountry once he has got into Selby. As he’ll be over an hour late, he should get all of his money back if he’s on singles, or if he’s over two hours late, all of his money back if he’s on returns.

Base it on the time he should have got into Selby, plus whatever delay he finally occurs as to when he finally steps off the train in Selby.

m00036

Under 30.1 within the National Rail Conditions of Travel, if he was unable to complete his journey due to a delay, then he is entitled to a refund of the ticket with no administrative fee. In practice, this can be harder to get and I will leave others to say whether this is straightforward or not... This is claimable from the retailer he bought it from (not Cross Country), so the ease will depend on their customer service.

If you'd rather not bother with the hassle, then you could apply for Delay Repay instead, in which case apply to Cross Country directly. By the letter of the rules, it is based on when you successfully got him to his station destination as opposed to the hypothetical arrival time. Alternatively, if he has a ticket that allows breaks of journey, then he is equally entitled to Delay Repay based on his journey just from Birmingham to Doncaster. In practice, automated systems will assume he has waited around at Doncaster for the next train to Selby - given the ease of doing so, and as it is reflective of what he would get via the normal compensation method, this is the most practical route (whether it's what you're strictly meant to do is a different matter).

Obviously you can't get both, and both have a 28 day window for making claims. Whether or not he has a single or return will dictate which method is likely to be most lucrative; Personally, I would opt for some sort of variation on the second route.

johnny_t

Now I see the tickets, it looks like Trainline sold him split tickets (Birmingham to Doncaster and Doncaster to Selby, both off-peak returns), so it looks like I just claim on the Birmingham to Doncaster ticket.

m00036

Delay Repay is still available on the full journey (i.e. Birmingham through to Selby), despite the fact that two tickets are being used, and despite the fact there was no delay per se on one of those tickets.

_toommm_

Established Member
Now I see the tickets, it looks like Trainline sold him split tickets (Birmingham to Doncaster and Doncaster to Selby, both off-peak returns), so it looks like I just claim on the Birmingham to Doncaster ticket.

You can and should claim on both, as it’s all part of the journey. You claim delay repay on your journey, and the journey can constitute one, two, or even twenty tickets. It makes no difference.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
No, you claim for the full journey regardless of whether there are splits or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.