• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay - not sure what to fill in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blakey1152

Good morning,
After a bit of advice on claiming delay repay.
I had a off peak day return from Slade Green to Eastleigh for yesterday and as I asked in a previous thread if it was okay to start my journey at Waterloo so I could catch an earlier service and the ticket with Railcard would still be valid.
To avoid any confusion and doubt on the train I purposely picked the tickets up at Waterloo and had made my own way there using the DLR and tube.

Then, the chaos ensued. There were power issues at Woking and the 1009 train from Waterloo to Portsmouth harbour was delayed. It eventually left at around 1030 and the tickets were checked.
Upon arrival at Woking we were told that the train was being diverted via Guildford and would no longer call at several stations including Eastleigh. The guard said would need to catch the Poole train behind and change at Winchester where the connection would be held.
The 1100 Poole train was also running late. Think about 5 minutes or so it was a bit confusing. This train made an unscheduled stop at Basingstoke because of the diverted Portsmouth service not being able to call there and arrived at Winchester about 8 minutes after the connecting Bournemouth service which would have called at Eastleigh should have left.

I asked a member of staff what had happened and said we were told the 1149 Bournemouth service would be held so passengers could make connections and he said... Noone told me so I don't care.

I asked when the next train to Eastleigh was and because the next Portsmouth bound service was also cancelled it was not due until 1249.

Unfortunately, because I had to be at the crematorium for 1230 I ended up having to abandon my journey at Winchester and get a cab.
I believe had the original 1009 service ran on time I would have got to Eastleigh at 1127!

So I've no clue what to put on a delay repay form. For either journey details or length of delay as I started late and had to abandon my trip at Winchester.

I wasn't in a good position anyway but I felt let down by Southwest Trains yesterday. It seems they cared more about their Basingstoke passengers than anyone needing other stops down the line. Miscommunication at its finest

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I would write a letter to SWR rather than fill out an online form.

KT550

You should be able to get a full refund if you were unable to reach your destination due to disruption.

Apply to the ticket seller rather than the TOC which caused the delay.

e.g. from the SWR website :

Apply for a refund if:​

• You changed your plans and didn’t make the journey at all (more information on what tickets are eligible for this is available on our book with confidence policy).
  • No admin fees are charged where tickets surrendered for refund before the first date of validity.
  • Disruption meant you decided not to travel, or you weren't able to make it to your destination.

Earlier this year, I broke my journey on the outward journey and due to a tree on the line was unable to reach my destination.
Got a full refund from GWR for a journey on Southeastern. All done on the online form.
You will need the tickets to send in copies/photos I think.

P.S.
Above applies if bought online.
Presumably apply to ticket office if bought in person at a station.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
As Haywain implies, it sounds like a written complaint would be much more in order here.

It may not effect much change, but it will at least be counted in the statistics as a complaint rather than a mere compensation form claim.

Class800

Established Member
I would email SWR customer services and give your postal address and you are likely to get a cheque or rail travel vouchers - I did so in a similar type of situation

blakey1152

Incredibly, despite the delays I had my claim for a refund rejected .

Thank you for your Delay Repay claim. We have checked the journey you have claimed for and we appear to be missing multiple legs of your full intended journey. Therefore, your claim has been rejected on this occasion

Any suggestions what to do next?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Incredibly, despite the delays I had my claim for a refund rejected .

Thank you for your Delay Repay claim. We have checked the journey you have claimed for and we appear to be missing multiple legs of your full intended journey. Therefore, your claim has been rejected on this occasion

Any suggestions what to do next?
I refer you to my earlier reply in post 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.