• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay on split ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2c

Hi

Sorry in advance for the long post!

I had to make a last minute trip from Sheffield to London and found a cheap ticket from Doncaster on Hull Trains (£10 with railcard discount!). I then purchased an anytime single from Sheffield to Doncaster for £3ish.
My plan was to catch the 18:04 Hull Trains service from DON to KGX. However, the 16:57 and 17:11 trains from Sheffield to Doncaster were both cancelled meaning I had to get the 17:57 to Doncaster instead. At Doncaster I was told the next Hull Trains service to Kings X was at 20:04 and that if I got on any LNER service I would have to pay for a new ticket. In the end, I decided to buy a ticket for the 18:55 LNER service to Kings X (from which I’m typing this now) as it was £30 and I didn’t want any more hassle.

My question is:
Can I claim delay repay for the additional ticket I bought as my original plans would have got me to Doncaster with more than enough time to catch my connecting train?

Hope this all makes sense!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi

Sorry in advance for the long post!

I had to make a last minute trip from Sheffield to London and found a cheap ticket from Doncaster on Hull Trains (£10 with railcard discount!). I then purchased an anytime single from Sheffield to Doncaster for £3ish.
My plan was to catch the 18:04 Hull Trains service from DON to KGX. However, the 16:57 and 17:11 trains from Sheffield to Doncaster were both cancelled meaning I had to get the 17:57 to Doncaster instead. At Doncaster I was told the next Hull Trains service to Kings X was at 20:04 and that if I got on any LNER service I would have to pay for a new ticket. In the end, I decided to buy a ticket for the 18:55 LNER service to Kings X (from which I’m typing this now) as it was £30 and I didn’t want any more hassle.

My question is:
Can I claim delay repay for the additional ticket I bought as my original plans would have got me to Doncaster with more than enough time to catch my connecting train?

Hope this all makes sense!
I don't think you can claim for the additional ticket you bought; it was bought in the knowledge of the delay. However, you shouldn't have had to buy a new ticket. LNER staff at Doncaster should have told you about your right to have Northern or TPE re-route you onto LNER (free of charge), as you were facing a delay of more than 2 hours.

I would raise a complaint with LNER for failing to inform you of your rights, but if you didn't ask Northern or TPE to assist you then you may struggle to recover the new £30 LNER ticket.

You will of course have a legitimate Delay Repay claim with Northern or TPE (depending on which train you intended to catch), based on the cost of your original tickets.

c2c

I don't think you can claim for the additional ticket you bought; it was bought in the knowledge of the delay. However, you shouldn't have had to buy a new ticket. LNER staff at Doncaster should have told you about your right to have Northern or TPE re-route you onto LNER (free of charge), as you were facing a delay of more than 2 hours.

I would raise a complaint with LNER for failing to inform you of your rights, but if you didn't ask Northern or TPE to assist you then you may struggle to recover the new £30 LNER ticket.

You will of course have a legitimate Delay Repay claim with Northern or TPE (depending on which train you intended to catch), based on the cost of your original tickets.
Thanks for your help! A bit of detail I missed out, the 1711 TPE service was cancelled from Sheffield but was supposed to start at Meadowhall at 1717. After travelling to Meadowhall it was also cancelled from there. I spoke to Northern staff at Meadowhall who told me to get a replacement bus or the X78 to Doncaster but they weren't sure if either would be running so I didn't want to risk it and went back to Sheffield.

In the end the new ticket I bought didn't even get checked and the barriers at Kings X were wide open :rolleyes:. Ah well, just one of those days!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Did you get anywhere with this?

In future you may wish to consider booking this as one journey from an accredited splitting site; this gives you a through itinerary which is evidence of a contract to travel from Sheffield to London, all tickets would be on one PDF (where available) making refunds & delay repay claims super easy, and you can insist on being re-routed in the event of a delay to the extent you would have experienced.

Having split tickets does not in any way reduce your rights; your rights are no different to if you held a through ticket routed 'HULLTRNS & TPE' for example; the main difference being that between Sheffield and Doncaster, the tickets you held would not ever be questioned for use on any company for that segment, only leaving the Doncaster to London segment of the journey up for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.