• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay on split tickets with advance and buy on day tickets combination

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew bell

Hi guys, just wanting some advice. I brought a return from Great Yarmouth (GYM) to Bradford (BDI) for travel on Fri 9 Nov, return Mon 12 Nov. Outward journey was fine, but I was delayed on the return journey.
I had a off peak return from GYM to Peterborough (PBO) and 2 advance singles from PBO to BDI. I wasn't delayed on the BDI to PBO journey, but due to signal problems at ELY I was delayed at PBO for 20 minutes, but arrived in Norwich (NRW) at 1745ish, so missed the 1736 to GYM and as such ended up in GYM 30 mins later.
My question is do I claim delay repay on just the PBO to GYM ticket as East Midlands Trains have just told me on the phone, or am I allowed to claim for the overall journey from BDI to GYM.

My scheduled journey times were BDI 1300 arrive PBO 1508, leave PBO 1540 arrive GYM 1811, but ended up leaving PBO 1600, arrive NRW 1745, left 1806 arrive GYM 1841

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi guys, just wanting some advice. I brought a return from Great Yarmouth (GYM) to Bradford (BDI) for travel on Fri 9 Nov, return Mon 12 Nov. Outward journey was fine, but I was delayed on the return journey.
I had a off peak return from GYM to Peterborough (PBO) and 2 advance singles from PBO to BDI. I wasn't delayed on the BDI to PBO journey, but due to signal problems at ELY I was delayed at PBO for 20 minutes, but arrived in Norwich (NRW) at 1745ish, so missed the 1736 to GYM and as such ended up in GYM 30 mins later.
My question is do I claim delay repay on just the PBO to GYM ticket as East Midlands Trains have just told me on the phone, or am I allowed to claim for the overall journey from BDI to GYM.

My scheduled journey times were BDI 1300 arrive PBO 1508, leave PBO 1540 arrive GYM 1811, but ended up leaving PBO 1600, arrive NRW 1745, left 1806 arrive GYM 1841
You made one journey from BDI to GYM. The fact that this involved the use of multiple tickets is an irrelevance, really. The delay compensation must be paid on the basis of the delay to your entire journey, and must therefore take into account all tickets used.

It's probably best to send off a claim by email or post, giving the details of your intended itinerary in bullet pointed or tabulated form, with the same for your tickets. Obviously you'll want to include at least a picture of the tickets.

We've not had too many reports of EMT making problems about this, but please do let us know if you experience any hassle in making your claim.

gray1404

Established Member
Yes you claim for one complete journey from BDI to GYM consisting of all your 3. You claim to the train company who delayed you and resulted in you arriving at your destination 30 minutes late. Keep copies of your tickets if you post them in case they go missing.

andrew bell

Screenshot_20181126-093922.jpg I have had a reply from East Midlands Trains, I'm trying to work out how £6.97 is half of £41.90. I have attached the email they have sent me because I'm sure that I should have been given more.

gray1404

Established Member
Your delay was on 30 minutes so it should be 50% of any single or advance tickets held and 25% of any return tickets held.

Do you want to list each ticket held, name, type and value so we can work out what you are entitled to? How many of you were travelling?

Then you can get back in touch with the train company and ask them to look at this again.

andrew bell

All the tickets I held was an advance single from Bradford interchange to Peterborough at £14 and an off peak return from Great Yarmouth to Peterborough (or the other way around as I was on the return leg of the journey) which cost £27.90. I was the only passenger.

gray1404

Established Member
They've only taken into account the ticket for the leg of the journey you were delayed I.e. The off peak return. They have disregarded the Advance single and owe you another £7.00 exactly. This is wrong because the NRCoT expressly states you can you a combination of tickets to complete your journey. I'd respond to them pointing out their error.

andrew bell

I had a feeling that I was due more but wasn't sure on the exact amount. Their email is very misleading as well because it says half the cost of the journey, which implies it should be £20.95 in total and not £13.95

gray1404

Established Member
As I say you are due an additional £7.00. 50% of the cost of the single tickets. 25% of the return (which equates to 50% of the return leg) based on a 30 minute delay. You need to contact EMT explaining their error, that they have not taken into account your other ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

You need to be very clear with claims like this.

I would advise stating clearly what my journey was (and I would not confuse matters by referring to individual legs as journeys) and I would include, in tabulated format, both my booked itinerary and actual itinerary, with a brief note stating which delay caused a missed connection.

If I had purchased through an accredited "splitting" site, I would forward the booking confirmation, which effectively does a lot of the work for you and makes it very clear what your intended journey was. Otherwise, be sure to add the information yourself.

Claim for the journey but make this information clearer, e.g:

Booked itinerary:

BDI 1300
PBO 1508

PBO 1540
NRW xxxx

NRW xxxx
GYM 1811​

Actual itinerary:

BDI 1300
PBO 1508

PBO 1600
NRW 1745

NRW 1806
GYM 1841 (30 minutes late)

And it would be useful to include a brief note stating "For this journey, I used the following combination of tickets, totalling £x.xx" followed by a list of tickets.

Also ensure you attach a photograph which clearly shows the entire combination of tickets, in a way that is easy to see.

On a separate note, I have observed that using a combination of returns and singles can cause difficulties with the calculation of claims, this is because they are calculated differently. It seems that some systems do not handle this well.

gray1404

Established Member
The systems used by TOCs to calculate delay repay claims really confuse me. I recently had a claim rejected by WMT and rejected again on appeal. I spoke to Customer Relations and the person I spoke to understood my claim straight away, he looked up the train running data while I was on the phone and said I had provided all of the required information and a copy of my ticket and that the delay repay team had made a mistake. However, he said that he couldn't authorise the delay repay claim anymore because he didn't have access to their system. He could however put a note on my file. In the end in actually submitted a fresh claim for me and gave me a new reference number and he said he had been able to add a note to it for the other (outsourced team to see) but it had to be them who awarded the compensation on their system. Quite surprising that a helpful and understanding member of Customer Relations staff couldn't simply award it. I should, with hindsight, asked if he could issue me a RTV instead.

So the next step is to set out your journey and clearly explain their mistake like how yorkie suggested. I would do this by replying to their email. If this is still not successful then you can appeal the case. The new railway ombudsman opened today so it would be interesting to see if they understand a customer entitlement to use split tickets and be compensated for the entire combination.

andrew bell

I have just received a reply from them, they are sending a cheque for £14.25 within the next 14 days, which from what your all saying should be about right. (25% of the off peak return and 50% of the advance single)

Status
Not open for further replies.