• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay query

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffinscot

Hi all

I'm in dispute with Caledonian Sleeper around delay repay.

Last week their service was 56 minutes late into Glasgow. My final destination was a smaller station north of Glasgow which the sleeper doesn't serve and doesn't sell through tickets to. So I had an anytime single booked at the same time as the sleeper. There isn't a regular clock face service so whilst I would have caught the 0728 service had the sleeper been on time, I had to catch the 0831 service, which was also running late, and the overall effect made me over 60 minutes late at my local station/ final destination.

The sleeper say they are only liable for the 56 minute delay and won't pay out the full ticket price, only half the ticket price. Their argument being that I had an anytime ticket so I might have intended to hang around for an hour anyway in the centre of Glasgow before going home.

Anyone on here know the rules and can tell me that this approach by the Sleeper is consistent with other TOCs?

thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi all

I'm in dispute with Caledonian Sleeper around delay repay.

Last week their service was 56 minutes late into Glasgow. My final destination was a smaller station north of Glasgow which the sleeper doesn't serve and doesn't sell through tickets to. So I had an anytime single booked at the same time as the sleeper. There isn't a regular clock face service so whilst I would have caught the 0728 service had the sleeper been on time, I had to catch the 0831 service, which was also running late, and the overall effect made me over 60 minutes late at my local station/ final destination.

The sleeper say they are only liable for the 56 minute delay and won't pay out the full ticket price, only half the ticket price. Their argument being that I had an anytime ticket so I might have intended to hang around for an hour anyway in the centre of Glasgow before going home.

Anyone on here know the rules and can tell me that this approach by the Sleeper is consistent with other TOCs?

thank you
Consistent with some other TOCs - in that they are underpaying the delay compensation due (some would say it almost seems deliberate in an attempt to reduce costs!).

To confirm, did you hold one through ticket, or did you have a combination of tickets? If it's the latter, refusals to pay the correct amount are more common, though they are nevertheless no more correct! If it's the former, this is an absolutely abysmal showing - and they can't only pay half because of their straw man argument that you "might have liked to hang around". I'm not sure I would want to hang around any station for an hour after getting off a sleeper!

Please do keep us updated with the progress of your case. The more examples we can find which show TOCs being totally in the wrong over delay compensation, the better the argument that it should be a serious, perhaps even franchise-breaching matter for delay compensation to be underpaid.

Edit: I see that you were connecting at Glasgow Central. Unless your train in particular was scheduled to arrive earlier than the usual 07:20, your connection was not 'protected'/'valid' in the sense of being able to claim delay compensation if you are delayed on your inbound train.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I think you'll struggle to win here. The Sleeper is due to arrive at 0720, and Glasgow Central has a 15 minute minimum connection time, so the 0728 departure wouldn't have been a valid connection for journey planning purposes.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
What was your date of travel?

Where was your destination station?

Were you travelling on one ticket or a combination of tickets?

puffinscot

What was your date of travel?

Where was your destination station?

Were you travelling on one ticket or a combination of tickets?

Thanks to all.

Date of travel was 11 July, arriving in Glasgow 12 July.

Destination station was Hyndland, Glasgow

Combination of tickets. Sleeper berth ticket Euston to Glasgow. Then anytime single Glasgow to Hyndland.

Ah yes, 15 mins rule - understood - yes that may undermine this claim.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks to all.

Date of travel was 11 July, arriving in Glasgow 12 July.

Destination station was Hyndland, Glasgow

Combination of tickets. Sleeper berth ticket Euston to Glasgow. Then anytime single Glasgow to Hyndland.

Ah yes, 15 mins rule - understood - yes that may undermine this claim.
On that date the sleeper had been scheduled to arrive at Glasgow at 07:22 in the public timetable - and at 07:18 in the working timetable. However, neither meet Glasgow Central's 15 minute connection time, so as others have suggested your connection was therefore not "valid".

However, the open Network Rail data indicates that the sleeper arrived into Glasgow exactly 60 minutes delayed. You would therefore qualify for 100% of your Sleeper single ticket back in compensation (as they were the ones suggesting that it is a separate journey!).

Haywain

Veteran Member
Had the sleeper been on time, it looks like your best arrival time allowing the 15 minute connection time would have been 07:48 at Hyndland. As you actually arrived at 08:46, the overall delay was under one hour. It seems that you may have to settle for that as Caledonian Sleepers might smell a rat if you now say the journey was only to Glasgow Central!

puffinscot

On that date the sleeper had been scheduled to arrive at Glasgow at 07:22 in the public timetable - and at 07:18 in the working timetable. However, neither meet Glasgow Central's 15 minute connection time, so as others have suggested your connection was therefore not "valid".

However, the open Network Rail data indicates that the sleeper arrived into Glasgow exactly 60 minutes delayed. You would therefore qualify for 100% of your Sleeper single ticket back in compensation (as they were the ones suggesting that it is a separate journey!).

Hi - is that 60 mins late vs 0718 working timetable or 0722 public timetable?

puffinscot

Had the sleeper been on time, it looks like your best arrival time allowing the 15 minute connection time would have been 07:48 at Hyndland. As you actually arrived at 08:46, the overall delay was under one hour. It seems that you may have to settle for that as Caledonian Sleepers might smell a rat if you now say the journey was only to Glasgow Central!
ok, thanks - to be honest though Caledonian Sleepers seem unconcerned about the remainder of my journey because of the ticket type I had (anytime single) and because it was a separate ticket.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hi - is that 60 mins late vs 0718 working timetable or 0722 public timetable?
That is against the working timetable, which is not relevant to you. The train was 56 minutes late against the advertised arrival time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You are entitled to claim Delay Repay for your entire journey through to Hyndland but only against the earliest booked arrival time of a valid itinerary which takes into account the minimum connection times.

Journey planners, including those used by accredited ticket splitting sites, will adhere to minimum interchange times. If you purchase your own tickets separately then the onus is on you to check that your journey complies with these times.

puffinscot

That is against the working timetable, which is not relevant to you. The train was 56 minutes late against the advertised arrival time.
yes, that's what Caledonian sleeper said to me - 56 minutes. So near, yet so far!!

puffinscot

You are entitled to claim Delay Repay for your entire journey through to Hyndland but only against the earliest booked arrival time of a valid itinerary which takes into account the minimum connection times.

Journey planners, including those used by accredited ticket splitting sites, will adhere to minimum interchange times. If you purchase your own tickets separately then the onus is on you to check that your journey complies with these times.

thanks to everyone for their help. I will end my dispute with Caledonian Sleeper and agree to the 50% refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.