• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay with m-ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuchananGB

Hi

My daughter is currently travelling on the 1800 GNER service Kings Cross to Edinburgh. She is going to Newcastle.

She presented herself at KGX to catch the 1818 service to Newcastle. She holds an advance purchase single, booked train only for the 1818. The medium she holds this is as an m-ticket in the Virgin Trains West Coast mobile app.

The 1818 service was cancelled due to overhead line problems between Grantham and Doncaster, and station announcements directed passengers to the delayed 1800 service which then departed at 1839.

On train announcement advised that the service would be diverted via Swinderby which would add an hour to the journey time, on top of the 39 minutes delayed departure.

My daughter's booked arrival time at Newcastle on the 1818 was 2121.

It seems highly likely that she will not reach her destination until well after that, and she asked me how she would set about claiming delay repay from VTWC, from whom she bought her ticket. I already told her the claim would be against LNER, but neither of us know how to submit a delay repay claim to LNER when the ticket held is an m-ticket from VTWC.

Any advice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Nothing explicitly mentioned on the LNER Delay Repay online form webpage re m-tickets, though it mentions "attaching an image of your ticket or receipt" and also the PDF for self-print tickets.

I was going to suggest attaching a screenshot of the m-ticket and an image of the emailed receipt, but the form only allows one upload for a claim so instead I'd write an email to the LNER customer service team (via customers <at> lner.co.uk) with both attached, and include the information requested on the online form.

Alternatively she could just try submitting a screenshot of the m-ticket and see what happens... if they want further proof of purchase, they can ask for it.

JBuchananGB

I will pass the advice on. I think she is on the only train which is actually going to make it through to Edinburgh this evening. She is looking forward to a £103 compensation. Someone else has started a thread about the disruption. The 5pm ex KGX has reached Grantham 3 hours late. The 5.30pm was terminated at Peterborough 1 hour late, passengers transferred to the late running 6pm which stopped to pick them up. The 6pm is now 90 mins late running round the diversionary route. I think the 6.30pm has been terminated at Peterborough. Heaven knows what's happening to later trains.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi

My daughter is currently travelling on the 1800 GNER service Kings Cross to Edinburgh. She is going to Newcastle.

She presented herself at KGX to catch the 1818 service to Newcastle. She holds an advance purchase single, booked train only for the 1818. The medium she holds this is as an m-ticket in the Virgin Trains West Coast mobile app.

The 1818 service was cancelled due to overhead line problems between Grantham and Doncaster, and station announcements directed passengers to the delayed 1800 service which then departed at 1839.

On train announcement advised that the service would be diverted via Swinderby which would add an hour to the journey time, on top of the 39 minutes delayed departure.

My daughter's booked arrival time at Newcastle on the 1818 was 2121.

It seems highly likely that she will not reach her destination until well after that, and she asked me how she would set about claiming delay repay from VTWC, from whom she bought her ticket. I already told her the claim would be against LNER, but neither of us know how to submit a delay repay claim to LNER when the ticket held is an m-ticket from VTWC.

Any advice?
If she can take a screenshot of the mobile ticket (both the barcode and the other tab which shows its details), that ought to suffice for a claim. As the other poster has said, the claim can be emailed in. If you are having any problems with that, ultimately you can always send it in by post. The only important thing is that the claim is received within 28 days of the journey, and that you make clear what your journey was, when you should have arrived, when you did arrive, and the ticket you had. It would also help if you could specify the way you want to receive the compensation, but ultimately that can be specified later and will not prejudice a claim if you don't state it now.

alistairlees

Established Member
Are you sure this is an m-ticket? These are tickets that can only be bought through apps and must be "activated" before travel. I thought that LNER only did eTickets. eTickets can be bought from a website or an app. More importantly, the ticket is emailed to you as an attachment (both a PDF which you can print or simply show on your phone; and a pkpass, which you can store in 'Wallet' (on an iPhone) and show on request. eTickets are based on the same format as most airline tickets. More importantly, because they are attachments, it should be easy to upload them as delay repay evidence - no need for screenshots.

I hope your daughter gets to Newcastle soon. Sounds like a difficult evening for all.

JBuchananGB

It’s an m-ticket bought on VTWC app, and duly activated before travel on LNER train Train is 2h 20m late at York, now due Newcastle 2307. She is tired & hungry and train is very full. But she will at least get there.

Larry Trapp

Are you sure this is an m-ticket? These are tickets that can only be bought through apps and must be "activated" before travel. I thought that LNER only did eTickets.

The OP was talking about tickets bought from VTWC for an LNER service.

However, I can confirm LNER do indeed do m-tickets via their “Travel Buddy” app.

I used one only last week!

robbeech

Established Member
I assume this is being dealt with but I certainly hope she took screen shots of each part of the ticket. It appears after they expire (generally the next calendar day) you can no longer access the details and this can prove difficult. To give an example using a different App and a different TOC (in this instance iOS and Northern) if you cannot give evidence of the ticket to Northern by way of a screen shot then you will not be eligible for delay repay.of course in reality Northern will be paying it eventually but they seem to be a law unto themselves at the moment.
I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with LNER for this one though.

gray1404

Established Member
Given the severe delay and the circumstances I hope that LNER do not make it difficult for customers to claim and get their compensation. I wonder if they will offer a goodwill gesture due to the excessively long delay. I had a similar experience on VTWC once and as well as delay repay they gave me a complementary standard class return as a goodwill gesture.

JBuchananGB

Here's the actual screenshot. Name redacted. She has submitted this using LNER's Delay Repay web based submission method. Let's hope that is adequate.

upload_2018-11-29_21-43-23.png

JBuchananGB

She has submitted it already. I have told her she should have submitted barcode. Maybe they will ask for it. She was on the delayed 1800. I don’t know how the barcode will tell anyone which service she was on. She activated the ticket at 1801. She will have told them in her claim that she was delayed 114 minutes, I.e. the time the 1800 arrived was that long after the 1818 would have arrived. Have to wait and see.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
She has submitted it already. I have told her she should have submitted barcode. Maybe they will ask for it. She was on the delayed 1800. I don’t know how the barcode will tell anyone which service she was on. She activated the ticket at 1801. She will have told them in her claim that she was delayed 114 minutes, I.e. the time the 1800 arrived was that long after the 1818 would have arrived. Have to wait and see.
When a barcode is scanned it writes a record to a central database.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When a barcode is scanned it writes a record to a central database.

That it does, but they might just trust you anyway. I was delayed on the 1213 MKC-Glasgow (cancelled at Preston) yesterday, but there is no evidence at all that I was on that train (on an Off Peak) rather than my booked train at 1813 as no inspections took place, they will just tend to believe it in such heavy disruption as long as what you're claiming isn't too far fetched.

(Glad I did given how bad it got - I'd have arrived at nearly midnight...and got only half as much money back! :D )

JBuchananGB

My daughter has received a response from LNER
Thanks for your correspondence received on 28 November 2018 regarding your journey from Kings Cross to Newcastle. I’m sorry that your journey on 28 November 2018 was affected by disruption on the line and for the inconvenience this caused you.

Our Passenger’s Charter is clear that any passenger delayed by over 30 minutes due to the delay or cancellation of one of our services, is entitled to compensation. As our train running records indicate a delay of 114 minutes, I’m happy to advise a payment to your bank account to the value of £103.50 has been raised and should credit your account in the next 14 working days. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to let us know about your experience. I hope your next journey is trouble free.
Satisfactory outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.