• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay with split tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

far

My partner had to travel from Earlestown to York today and so I decided to buy split tickets for her from Earlestown to Manchester then Manchester to York using Rail Europe, the former being Northern only. Unfortunately, the 1001 she was due to get was cancelled, along with the TPE connection at Oxford Road. She decided to get an all operators ticket to Manchester instead and boarded the next TfW service to Piccadilly before taking the 1140 from there to York, arriving at 1319. She was due to arrive at 1204 if all had gone to plan. In addition to this, the ticket I bought from Rail Easy, an off peak return, states that it was from Manchester Victoria, when the interchange station was Oxford Road. I've never seen a ticket state a station, usually is it not Manchester Stations? What's the best way to proceed here?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
We’re going to need a bit more information here. Let me see if I can work this through. Here’s what I think happened.

The passenger intended to travel on the 1001 Earlestown to Wilmslow, changing at Manchester Oxford Road onto the 1039 to Newcastle as far as York. Both of these were cancelled. She instead took the 1017 TfW Rail service which arrived in Manchester Piccadilly at 10:44 and then the 11:40 to Newcastle, got her to York at 13:19. This was the first available connection from Piccadilly – the 11:00 changing at Huddersfield having been cancelled. She could however have walked or taken the Metrolink or free bus to Manchester Victoria for the 11:30 to Scarborough which would have got her to York at 13:02.

If all that’s correct, the questions I have are:

1) What exact ticket (origin, destination, route and price) was held from Earlestown to Manchester O Rd? The only Northern Only tickets on that flow are advance single tickets.
2) What exact ticket was bought to replace this?
3) What exact ticket was held from Manchester to York? The only off-peak return fare on that flow is £30.50 from Manchester Stns, not Manchester Vic.
4) Why did the passenger not use the earlier service from Victoria to York? She had 46 minutes to get across which would have been ample time.

far

Thank you for your reply. The tickets were cheaper as she has a disabled persons railcard, I should have added this to make it clearer. However, to clarify other points.

1) The tickets are definitely Northern only from Earlestown to Manchester Stations. The price, after a railcard discount, was £4.65.

2) The exact replacement ticket bought was a £5.55 Off-Peak Day Return from Earlestown to Manchester Stations. This mentions no operator restrictions

3) The ticket bought was, in effect, a Manchester stations to York off-peak return for £20.10 after railcard discount. However, the e-ticket says MCV to YRK, hence I was confused.

4) That could have been an option had she and I known about it. She was told that this was the best option by the member of staff at Earlestown ticket office. In addition, she does have some difficulty walking, though she could have managed the walk or bus trip with ease given the amount of interchange time.

I've spoken to Northern who are saying that they would refund the £5.55 ticket if everything was scanned and sent by email. They are saying, however, that Delay Repay is a TPE issue. TPE are saying its a Northern issue as the 1001 did not run.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
There’s any number of ways you could slice this; in my opinion Northern are responsible for the whole lot. They probably need to refund the unused ticket (the £4.65 one) but little turns on that. Their cancellation started the delay running so they should also pay DelayRepay, though perhaps only for the first available connection which would have been a 58 minute delay.

Dibuzz

Does it make any difference that I would normally have gone on the direct train from NLW but that wasn't running hence me starting at ERL which is slightly closer?

sheff1

Established Member
There’s any number of ways you could slice this; in my opinion Northern are responsible for the whole lot. They probably need to refund the unused ticket (the £4.65 one) but little turns on that. Their cancellation started the delay running so they should also pay DelayRepay, though perhaps only for the first available connection which would have been a 58 minute delay.

Agreed.
I see no plausible justification for Northern counting a 'connection' from a completely different station on the opposite side of town in an attempt to reduce the delay below 60 mins.

far

Thanks for the advice. Decided to email Northern and have explained the whole sorry saga to them with all ticket photos and have added wording that I wish this to be considered as a delay repay claim. No doubt I will hear from them before next Christmas :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.