• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay WMT & XC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnjman

On Saturday I traveled from Bournville to Leicester. I had planned to get the 12:29 to New Street which was cancelled, so had to wait for the next train getting me into New Street 13 minutes late and resulting in me missing the train to Leicester. I then got the next train to Leicester arriving 25 minutes later than expected.

Would WMT still pay out on a delay repay claim for being over 15 minutes late to Leicester even though part of the journey was on XC? To complicate matters I was using a combination of a walk up and ntrain ticket, and the barriers at Leicester swallowed my ticket (I still have the return portion though).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
As it was crosscountry who made you late then you would claim from them but they only have a 30 min delay threshold so I doubt you would get anything.

Why would WMT pay out when it was XC that made you late?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
On Saturday I traveled from Bournville to Leicester. I had planned to get the 12:29 to New Street which was cancelled, so had to wait for the next train getting me into New Street 13 minutes late and resulting in me missing the train to Leicester. I then got the next train to Leicester arriving 25 minutes later than expected.

Would WMT still pay out on a delay repay claim for being over 15 minutes late to Leicester even though part of the journey was on XC? To complicate matters I was using a combination of a walk up and ntrain ticket, and the barriers at Leicester swallowed my ticket (I still have the return portion though).
If there's anything that could hinder a claim, it would be the fact that you've not got your ticket any more. However, that need not be fatal to your claim, especially if you can produce the return portion and show a receipt or booking confirmation for having bought the tickets.

The fact that your journey involved multiple TOCs is an irrelevance - this is one connected National Rail network and so the delay to your entire journey, not to the portion served by the train company who delayed you, is what matters.

WMT may make noises about you not giving them the outward portion. But presenting the return portion of a return ticket is incontrovertible evidence that you had a return ticket, and hence a ticket for the journey on which you were delayed. Unfortunately the NRCoT is on their side here, with Condition 33.1 requiring you to produce a ticket valid for your journey. However, IMO it is worth a shot, especially if you have a receipt or booking confirmation.

Obviously the lesson for next time is to not put your ticket through any barriers when you are delayed, explaining to barrier staff that you need to keep your ticket for the purposes of a delay compensation claim!

pnjman

As it was crosscountry who made you late then you would claim from them but they only have a 30 min delay threshold so I doubt you would get anything.

It was a WMT from Bournville being cancelled that made miss me the connection at New Street to Leicester.

pnjman

If there's anything that could hinder a claim, it would be the fact that you've not got your ticket any more. However, that need not be fatal to your claim, especially if you can produce the return portion and show a receipt or booking confirmation for having bought the tickets.

The fact that your journey involved multiple TOCs is an irrelevance - this is one connected National Rail network and so the delay to your entire journey, not to the portion served by the train company who delayed you, is what matters.

WMT may make noises about you not giving them the outward portion. But presenting the return portion of a return ticket is incontrovertible evidence that you had a return ticket, and hence a ticket for the journey on which you were delayed. Unfortunately the NRCoT is on their side here, with Condition 33.1 requiring you to produce a ticket valid for your journey. However, IMO it is worth a shot, especially if you have a receipt or booking confirmation.

Obviously the lesson for next time is to not put your ticket through any barriers when you are delayed, explaining to barrier staff that you need to keep your ticket for the purposes of a delay compensation claim!

Thank you. It's not a great deal of money anyway but I'll give it a go.

sonic2009

Established Member
I'm not sure if WMT would pay you out anyway, the connection time at Birmingham is 12 minutes, the 1229 isn't a valid connection into the 1252 to Leicester.

pnjman

I'm not sure if WMT would pay you out anyway, the connection time at Birmingham is 12 minutes, the 1229 isn't a valid connection into the 1252 to Leicester.

You're right, didn't actually check that. :oops:

Established Member

XC don't stop at Bourneville so not their fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.