• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

delay repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianboult

Afternoon all.
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway!

I was delayed (over 40 mins) by the signal problems in the St Johns area last week.
I should be eligible for some rail vouchers, but stupidly forgot to hold onto the return portion of my train ticket that day.

Will South Eastern trains have a record of the fact that I put the return ticket through their ticket barrier at Charing Cross (I.E. does the black strip on an individual ticket carry the buyers information on it, or is it simply there to allow the ticket to open gates at the correct stations?).

I only ask this because I bought the ticket on their site and didn't know what information the strip actually carries - for example, does it just know the dates on which a ticket is valid and the destinations covered, or is there more information on it that could be cross referenced to the actual debit card purchase... and the fact that it went through a barrier at a certain time ?

Pedantic of me I know, but I have actually had quite a lot of delay compensation from SET for tickets that I have remembered to keep!

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I should be eligible for some rail vouchers, but stupidly forgot to hold onto the return portion of my train ticket that day.
You are still eligible for delay repay but may need to provide other proof of your journey. Do you have the purchase receipt?

Edit: Just re-read your post and you said the ticket was purchased online. Contact customer services and explain the situation, they should be able to see your ticket purchase history.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
For paper tickets, the only record of gateline swipes is stored on the magnetic strip of the ticket itself.

If you bought the ticket from their website, you have nothing to lose by contacting their customer servies to see if they will entertain a Delay Repay. Your case will be strengthened if the website issued you an itinerary that matches the delayed train

andrewkeith5

I have had delay repay paid by Virgin before using the outward part when I was claiming for the return, to prove I had a ticket at all. Ultimately they have no proof of which train you used unless they scour the CCTV, what's important is that you were entitled to use that train - but that doesn't of course mean it's ok to claim for delays you didn't experience, not that I suspect anyone here is.

najaB

Veteran Member
...but that doesn't of course mean it's ok to claim for delays you didn't experience, not that I suspect anyone here is.
Indeed it is not okay to do so. A court date for fraud could possibly await anyone so doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.