• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JRE

Just out of interest, has anybody ever failed their first Psychometric Assessment for Northern, but gone on to pass a second?

I passed all tests other than the ATAVT (where you’re shown an image for a second before it’s removed, and you’re questioned on it). Subsequently, I was withdrawn.

Anybody been in a similar position?

DB0161

Just out of interest, has anybody ever failed their first Psychometric Assessment for Northern, but gone on to pass a second?

I passed all tests other than the ATAVT (where you’re shown an image for a second before it’s removed, and you’re questioned on it). Subsequently, I was withdrawn.

Anybody been in a similar position?

Yes I've been in the same position, I passed everything other than the vigilance test. It's really disappointing but get back as soon as the 6 months are up. I did and passed second time round

JRE

Yes I've been in the same position, I passed everything other than the vigilance test. It's really disappointing but get back as soon as the 6 months are up. I did and passed second time round

Thanks mate! That's really reassuring.
I didn't know whether to give it a second go, or just leave it. They didn't tell me how badly I'd done on that test.

How did you manage to prepare, and pass, second time around, if you don't mind my asking?

DB0161

Thanks mate! That's really reassuring.
I didn't know whether to give it a second go, or just leave it. They didn't tell me how badly I'd done on that test.

How did you manage to prepare, and pass, second time around, if you don't mind my asking?

I feel your pain, driving away from the assessment centre with a fail is a terrible feeling and six months feels like such a long time but it goes quicker than you think.

I was actually most worried about the ATAVT test. I downloaded some memory apps on my phone and did different types of memory tests. I honestly couldn't tell you if it helped but I passed and it's all about giving yourself the very best chance.

Just in case you didn't know, if you decide to have another go you will only have to sit the computerized tests but you will have to redo all the computer tests even though you already passed the other two the first time round.

richfoz84

I’ve got my assessment next week. Only have to sit the bourdon & computerised tests as passed the rest last year

JRE

I feel your pain, driving away from the assessment centre with a fail is a terrible feeling and six months feels like such a long time but it goes quicker than you think.

I was actually most worried about the ATAVT test. I downloaded some memory apps on my phone and did different types of memory tests. I honestly couldn't tell you if it helped but I passed and it's all about giving yourself the very best chance.

Just in case you didn't know, if you decide to have another go you will only have to sit the computerized tests but you will have to redo all the computer tests even though you already passed the other two the first time round.

Thanks mate. Hopefully it’ll fly by. I’ll have to start practicing some memory tests, etc. To be honest, I didn’t give the ATAVT test much thought because I naively thought it’d be one of the easier ones.

As I say though, it’s really reassuring to hear from you, given that you were in my exact same position, so thanks!

The other two conmputerised tests were straightforward enough for me so I’m not too worried. Just very worried I’ll fail the ATAVT again!

JRE

I’ve got my assessment next week. Only have to sit the bourdon & computerised tests as passed the rest last year

Good luck! Which of the computerised tests didn’t you pass?

Keep us updated!

Victornc

Can ur ask once you passed how long did you have to wait? Were you put into a talent pool for months/years like some I have seen on here saying?

Fraz

Today I’ve received an email stating I’ve failed the application stage for Northern (I won’t lie, I’m a little bit gutted).

Has anyone passed the application stage?

Is it just a coincidence that it coincided with the withdraws of their franchise or will they still be recruiting?

Anyone else recruiting trainee drivers in the Yorkshire region?

Thanks in advance
Hi,

I’ve applied for York as well, my application status has now changed to ‘assessment’. Hoping to get an email this week with a link to the online assessment.

DB0161

Can ur ask once you passed how long did you have to wait? Were you put into a talent pool for months/years like some I have seen on here saying?

So sorry for the delay I've only just seen this.

I was one of the lucky ones, passed the assessment in August, medical in December and offered a drivers role for the February.

I know from the posts on here that some people find themselves in talent pools for a while which must be frustrating.

Victornc

So sorry for the delay I've only just seen this.

I was one of the lucky ones, passed the assessment in August, medical in December and offered a drivers role for the February.

I know from the posts on here that some people find themselves in talent pools for a while which must be frustrating.
Can I ask what is the medical like? Iv seen some complain about hearing tests saying they only just passes however when done privately hearing was really good. Also the eye test do you just cover your eye up each time or do they do it with the glasses thing opticians use and block one eye at a time. Just done medical for lgv licence and was supprised how easy/loose medical was to be honest.

DB0161

Can I ask what is the medical like? Iv seen some complain about hearing tests saying they only just passes however when done privately hearing was really good. Also the eye test do you just cover your eye up each time or do they do it with the glasses thing opticians use and block one eye at a time. Just done medical for lgv licence and was supprised how easy/loose medical was to be honest.

I was a bit worried about the hearing test whilst doing it as I felt I could hear a lot more background noise from outside the booth than when I've done the same test before for different roles.

The eyesight test wasn't as formal as you would have with an optician. You stand from a distance with your hand over your eye and there are also some books with numbers in that that you need to pick out

Victornc

I was a bit worried about the hearing test whilst doing it as I felt I could hear a lot more background noise from outside the booth than when I've done the same test before for different roles.

The eyesight test wasn't as formal as you would have with an optician. You stand from a distance with your hand over your eye and there are also some books with numbers in that that you need to pick out
Ok that doesn’t sound to bad, was just worried I know I need glasses for corrected vision my left eye isn’t up to much and wasn’t sure if would get passed the uncorrected test but if I get that far il be straight down opticians to make sure it passes! Was going to get laser eye treatment but unsure how this effects medical too

Robnw67

Ok that doesn’t sound to bad, was just worried I know I need glasses for corrected vision my left eye isn’t up to much and wasn’t sure if would get passed the uncorrected test but if I get that far il be straight down opticians to make sure it passes! Was going to get laser eye treatment but unsure how this effects medical too
I've read on here that some TOC won't allow drivers who have lad laser eye treatment. I think it's worth doing some digging on the subject.

Coopes1710

Hi,

I’ve applied for York as well, my application status has now changed to ‘assessment’. Hoping to get an email this week with a link to the online assessment.

I have also applied for York and I have looked at my profile which says assessment but I haven’t received an email from them as yet.

fourandbov

I have also applied for York and I have looked at my profile which says assessment but I haven’t received an email from them as yet.

My York application also said "Assessment", which got my hopes up of an interview, given that my other one for Leeds from October still says "Application in process" and people have been interviewed for that already.

Today my York one has gone back to "Application in process" which is frustrating and disappointing in equal measure.

LokiB

My York application also said "Assessment", which got my hopes up of an interview, given that my other one for Leeds from October still says "Application in process" and people have been interviewed for that already.

Today my York one has gone back to "Application in process" which is frustrating and disappointing in equal measure.

Mine still said assessment when I checked this morning. After reading your post I looked again and it has gone to application in process as well.
Fingers crossed it's not a bad sign.

LokiB

Just got the dreaded end of process notification on the portal from the paper sift. Gutted.
Will need to try harder next time.

Major1494

My application has also changed from ‘Assessment’ to ‘Application in Progress’. Hopefully it’s not a bad sign.

Coopes1710

Double bubble.
Been notified by TPE and Northern within minutes of each other that it’s over.
I would pay to get feed back :)

LokiB

Double bubble.
Been notified by TPE and Northern within minutes of each other that it’s over.
I would pay to get feed back :)

Definitely would pay for feedback.
I've applied for pretty much every job available (driver, guard, conductor, signaller etc) across different TOCs over the last 6 years or so but have never made it past the paper sift.
I even paid for my cv and cover letters to be tailored to me by a hr company in the hope that it would give me an edge but obviously didn't help.
I'm a transport manager, IOSH managing safely and neebosh safety trained so should look good on paper yet just have no luck getting past the sift.

Surely one day I'll get a chance.

Caad12

Hi all.

I'm going back to Doncaster in March to re-sit from the Dials tests onwards. Anyone know how many tests come after dials?

From memory I passed

GBT
Tone test
Directory
Glop

and ironically I'll have forgotten another test (sure I did 5 before slipping up). Cheers. :D

Robnw67

As with many others posting today, I have had the double knock back from TPE and Northern. To say that I am disconsolate is an understatement.

Coopes1710

Definitely would pay for feedback.
I've applied for pretty much every job available (driver, guard, conductor, signaller etc) across different TOCs over the last 6 years or so but have never made it past the paper sift.
I even paid for my cv and cover letters to be tailored to me by a hr company in the hope that it would give me an edge but obviously didn't help.
I'm a transport manager, IOSH managing safely and neebosh safety trained so should look good on paper yet just have no luck getting past the sift.

Surely one day I'll get a chance.

I have a decent back ground too.
Apprentice trained mechanic.
Firefighter with advanced driving etc etc.
Long list of qualifications and a huge amount of life experience.

The money’s good so the volume of applications will always be high

Status
Not open for further replies.