• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delivery of double deck electric buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotCO

Established Member
On Friday I saw a new BYD/Alexander double decker bus being driven down the A1, presumably on delivery to Metroline in London. Given that the bus can only travel 190 miles in urban traffic on a single charge, and that travel at speed on the A1 presumably depletes the power more quickly, do the buses need to stop to be topped up somewhere? Or is there an overnight stop? Recharging takes 4 hours according to Coach & Bus Week.

Are the buses being built at Scarborough or Falkirk? Scarborough is 234 miles from Willesden, and Falkirk is 418 miles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alangla

Scarborough presumably? From what I’ve seen, the usual route from Falkirk to London appears to be M876, M80, M73, M74, M6 but I could be wrong
If the bus can recharge off a standard car charger or a Tesla charger then pretty much every services will have a pillar it can charge at.

carlberry

Established Member
Scarborough presumably? From what I’ve seen, the usual route from Falkirk to London appears to be M876, M80, M73, M74, M6 but I could be wrong
If the bus can recharge off a standard car charger or a Tesla charger then pretty much every services will have a pillar it can charge at.
I don't know if the charger spec is the same however most of the chargers I've seen at service stations are in locations that you'd struggle to get a bus into.

alangla

I don't know if the charger spec is the same however most of the chargers I've seen at service stations are in locations that you'd struggle to get a bus into.
Good point. I’d forgotten about the width restrictions/high kerbs on the car park entrances etc.

SCH117X

Established Member
Possibly made use of operators depots en route. Range is quoted as 190 miles so playing safe from Scarborough they could top up at York (First or Transdev) and then again at Nottingham (CT4N) for example.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
On Friday I saw a new BYD/Alexander double decker bus being driven down the A1, presumably on delivery to Metroline in London. Given that the bus can only travel 190 miles in urban traffic on a single charge, and that travel at speed on the A1 presumably depletes the power more quickly, do the buses need to stop to be topped up somewhere? Or is there an overnight stop? Recharging takes 4 hours according to Coach & Bus Week.

Are the buses being built at Scarborough or Falkirk? Scarborough is 234 miles from Willesden, and Falkirk is 418 miles.

Brought a spare battery with them.......??

:rolleyes:

MotCO

Established Member
Possibly made use of operators depots en route. Range is quoted as 190 miles so playing safe from Scarborough they could top up at York (First or Transdev) and then again at Nottingham (CT4N) for example.

Would these companies have any spare charging points - I would have assumed that they needed all of them to top up their own buses. It would also mean that only one or two buses at most could be delivered each day.

goldisgood

Would these companies have any spare charging points - I would have assumed that they needed all of them to top up their own buses. It would also mean that only one or two buses at most could be delivered each day.
Could they potentially be used during the day when the buses would be out in service?

MotCO

Established Member
Could they potentially be used during the day when the buses would be out in service?
D'oh! Hadn't thought of that! :oops::oops: But would that mean overnight deliveries? I saw one during the day.

Last edited:

borage

Presumably the range is increased a bit (not enough to make much difference) as the bus isn't weighed down by passengers.

goldisgood

Could the buses be more fuel efficient on the motorway? As they travel 190 miles in urban traffic, maybe they can get a bit further on interurban work.

MotCO

Established Member
Could the buses be more fuel efficient on the motorway? As they travel 190 miles in urban traffic, maybe they can get a bit further on interurban work.

I would have thought that higher speed motorway driving was less efficient than slower urban driving, but I am not speaking with any particular knowledge, and I accept that they are unladen. Route-one is now quoting a 150 mile range. They also state that charging is undertaken using a BYD-supplied free-standing unit, so maybe one is on board the delivery runs - it depends how big it is.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I would have thought that higher speed motorway driving was less efficient than slower urban driving, but I am not speaking with any particular knowledge, and I accept that they are unladen. Route-one is now quoting a 150 mile range. They also state that charging is undertaken using a BYD-supplied free-standing unit, so maybe one is on board the delivery runs - it depends how big it is.
They'd still have to find somewhere to plug it in.

dazzler

York has several out of town locations with chargers that will definitely charge a single deck bus, presumably they would work for double deck as well. For example, the Park&Ride (P&R) sites at Monks Cross and Poppleton have electric bus P&R services which charge during the layover. The University of York Campus service UB1 is usually operated by an electric single deck bus as well, often one of the P&R fleet if the dedicated bus is undergoing maintenance. This usually charges in the early afternoon layover at the "Chargemaster" car (& bus) charging point in the turning circle outside York Sport Village (just round the corner from Grimston Bar P&R and the A64/A166/A1079 Junction) - sorry, not got a picture of an electric bus on charge there, I'll see what I can manage at work tomorrow!

MotCO

Established Member
I've rethought this, and may have an answer. Would it be possible to deliver these buses in relay?

Thus Bus 1 and Driver A take the first bus to the first charging point (Nottingham or York, for example) and use the garage facilties to charge during the day. Driver A returns home by other means. Driver B brings Bus 2 down the next day, drops off Bus 2 and picks up a charged Bus 1 for the next leg, leaving Bus 2 to be recharged during the rest of the day. Diver C brings down Bus 3 the next day and picks up a charged Bus 2 etc, etc. Would that work?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The other option would be for the driver to drive during the night and rest in a hotel during the day while the bus was charging at a facility that would otherwise not be used.

MotCO

Established Member
The other option would be for the driver to drive during the night and rest in a hotel during the day while the bus was charging at a facility that would otherwise not be used.

However, I saw one on delivery during daylight hours.

SCH117X

Established Member
Found a Route One article re the Enviro 200ev's that states "In an indication of the buses’ capabilities, they are being delivered from ADL’s Larbert plant – over 400 miles away – under their own power. ‘Pit stops’ at the manufacturer’s support network sites along the way are made to recharge."
http://www.route-one.net/articles/Vehicles/Enter_the_electric_Enviro_as_ADL_and_BYD_set_out
Could explain the new bus that toppled over in Hinckley earlier in the week
" A double decker bus has toppled over on its side in the front garden of a home. It happened outside the New Plough Inn on Leicester Road, Hinckley, shortly before 20:00 on Tuesday. No-one was on the bus at the time. Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service have said the bus ended up on its side "following hydraulic equipment failure"."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/localnews/2646867-Hinckley/0

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Found a Route One article re the Enviro 200ev's that states "In an indication of the buses’ capabilities, they are being delivered from ADL’s Larbert plant – over 400 miles away – under their own power. ‘Pit stops’ at the manufacturer’s support network sites along the way are made to recharge."
http://www.route-one.net/articles/Vehicles/Enter_the_electric_Enviro_as_ADL_and_BYD_set_out
Could explain the new bus that toppled over in Hinckley earlier in the week
" A double decker bus has toppled over on its side in the front garden of a home. It happened outside the New Plough Inn on Leicester Road, Hinckley, shortly before 20:00 on Tuesday. No-one was on the bus at the time. Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service have said the bus ended up on its side "following hydraulic equipment failure"."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/localnews/2646867-Hinckley/0

Wasn't the Hinckley turnover a Hong Kong diesel ?

PeterC

Established Member
I don't know about large commercial vehicles but my ICE car gets about 50% better milage cruising at a steady 50 compared with urban driving.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
No, it was probably a bus that had been at the nearby MIRA proving grounds.
There are clear photos of the underside on the local paper website:
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/gallery/pictures-bus-tips-onto-side-2918171
which might help to identify its method of propulsion.

It's a KMB specification Wright Streetdeck Demonstrator, in short fully diesel. The reason it tipped over was because there was passengers weights in the upper deck and the recovery operator hadn't been informed.

I thought you Hong Kong bus had a rear twin axle?

Hong Kong have very strict weight restrictions when it comes to double decker buses. Due to the requirement of A/C and the fact the city has some very steep hills the buses used there require bigger engines. In the past the bigger engines meant that the buses required an additional axle, otherwise the rear axle would end up overweight thus not complying with HK regulations. However ADL and Wright have been trying to develop two axle deckers with larger engines for the HK market as they could prove more fuel efficient. ADL kicked it off with the 8.9 Litre Cummins ISLe engined Enviro400MMC for Euro5, (UK equivalent has a 6.7 Litre engine). And now Wright are joining the race.

It's actually quite fitting that the bus in question initially failed it's weight tests due to the rear axle being overloaded, caused by the larger engine. As such Wright had to reduce the certified capacity by removing a row of seats on the upper deck.

randyrippley

Established Member
all the KMB buses I've seen go through Heysham in the last few months have been tri-axles. There was one on the M6 last week

as for recharging, someone in an earlier thread suggested Alexander were using Stagecoach depots to top up - makes sense if you think how close the two companies are.

Status
Not open for further replies.