• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deltic Bashers Group Shoot

ArtyP

On the 26 February 1977 (The last day of the Westerns in service) I (Aged 11) had a day out with my Father to the ECML, from New Street to Stockport (Roarer), with a 40 across the Pennines to York, with my subsequently first Deltic (No 16 I think) haulage from Doncaster to York, there was a Bashers Group shot taken at York upon arrival, I am seeking a copy of that picture to surprise my Father, is it out there?

Names I remember from that day (it was quite an education for an 11 year old) include Squeak, Oz & Welly, many others lost in the mist of time..............

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think there’s a Facebook page for railways in the 70s (Railscene in the 80sni think) and 80s someone on there may have one

Big Jumby 74

From the web page 'napier-chronicles' by Paul Bettany, on 26 Feb 1977, Deltic 16 worked 1E05, 09.55 Edinburgh W. to KX, returning to EW with 1S70, 22.15 from KX, having spent the afternoon on KX loco. Check the aforementioned site for Paul's contact details. Sure any 'group' type photos will have come to his attention over the years?

6Gman

Established Member
On the 26 February 1977 (The last day of the Westerns in service) I (Aged 11) had a day out with my Father to the ECML, from New Street to Stockport (Roarer), with a 40 across the Pennines to York, with my subsequently first Deltic (No 16 I think) haulage from Doncaster to York, there was a Bashers Group shot taken at York upon arrival, I am seeking a copy of that picture to surprise my Father, is it out there?

Names I remember from that day (it was quite an education for an 11 year old) include Squeak, Oz & Welly, many others lost in the mist of time..............
Squeak.

There's a name from the past!

Sultan1056

I am assuming you travelled to York on an ADEX. According to Railgen Archives 40025 worked the 0855 Coventry-York from Stockport. The train returned at 1758 with 40059 as far as Stockport.
I am also assuming the train arrived into York around 1300. One of the first trains you would have seen was the Up Flying Scotsman passing through the middle road. According to Napier Chronicles this was hauled by 55016.
I would guess that Welly and Squeak would have been chasing Class 40s and travelled on the same train as you. I’m not sure which Deltic would’ve have been in the photo. 55005 worked the next service to Kings Cross (1040 ex Edinburgh). 55007 worked the 1400 Kings Cross to Aberdeen. Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:

Trackman

Established Member
I would guess that Welly and Squeak would have been chasing Class 40s and travelled on the same train as you.
Indeed, Welly and Squeak were huge class 40 'bashers'. Welly is no longer with us, unsure about Squeak. I've got a photo of them.

Big Jumby 74

with my subsequently first Deltic (No 16 I think) haulage from Doncaster to York
I am assuming you travelled to York on an ADEX. According to Railgen Archives 40025 worked the 0855 Coventry-York from Stockport. The train returned at the 1758 with 40059 as far as Stockport.
If the OP had haulage FROM Doncaster TO York (with a Deltic), and was aboard the ADEX with 40025, it would suggest after arriving York, the OP and his father travelled South to Donny and back, to fill in time perhaps? Checking the GBTT (c/o TTworld), such a move was limited train wise, if loco haulage was required, in order to be back at York for the return ADEX at 1758.
These trains were:
1416 York to KX (1E07, 10.40 from Edinburgh) with 55005 (as Sultan1056 has kindly highlighted above) due in to Doncaster at 1455.
The return from Doncaster would have needed to be the 1517 from Doncaster, due York 1557. This was the 1300 KX to Edinburgh W. (The 14.00 KX didn't call Doncaster).

Can't find any record of what worked the 1300 KX to EW on that day, but (from napier-chronicles again) Deltic's 17 & 21 might be possible candidates, due to a lack of reporting of their exact workings on and around the 26th?