• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Denied boarding Deutsche Bahn

peteb

Established Member
Interesting situation yesterday between Koblenz and Trier. Two fairly elderly gentlemen tried to board a Luxembourg-bound service at an intermediate station. They asked the ticket inspector/guard manning the doors if they could buy a ticket on board. The answer was "no, get one from the ticket machine before boarding" and with that the train left without them.

Is this common practice? DB doesn't have gated access to stations and has in my opinion very random ticket checks. Maybe because it was a CFL train? Or can they only issue "penalty fares" onboard the train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fragezeichnen

The exact rules vary by oprator and Tarif Union, but, yes, it's common that if a station has a working ticket machine then you are required to purchase a ticket before boarding.

rvdborgt

Interesting situation yesterday between Koblenz and Trier. Two fairly elderly gentlemen tried to board a Luxembourg-bound service at an intermediate station. They asked the ticket inspector/guard manning the doors if they could buy a ticket on board. The answer was "no, get one from the ticket machine before boarding" and with that the train left without them.

Is this common practice? DB doesn't have gated access to stations and has in my opinion very random ticket checks. Maybe because it was a CFL train? Or can they only issue "penalty fares" onboard the train?
There's no relation between gated access/ticket checks and the possibility to buy tickets on board.
It may have been CFL stock but the operator in Germany was still DB Regio. Also, DB doesn't set the conditions, the transport authority does. Chances are that they can indeed only issue penalty fares (Fahrpreisnacherhebung).

duesselmartin

Established Member
denying boarding is unusual as their might a situation where buying a ticket is not possible (machine defective and no smartphone). The usual procedure is a penalty fare which does get cancelled if you can prove that you were willing but could not buy a ticket.

The exile

Established Member
denying boarding is unusual as their might a situation where buying a ticket is not possible (machine defective and no smartphone). The usual procedure is a penalty fare which does get cancelled if you can prove that you were willing but could not buy a ticket.
It’s not clear that they were denied boarding - just told that they had to have a ticket, at which point they chose not to pay the penalty fare (whatever that us nowadays) and wait for the next train.

peteb

Established Member
It’s not clear that they were denied boarding - just told that they had to have a ticket, at which point they chose not to pay the penalty fare (whatever that us nowadays) and wait for the next train.
Oh no, the train pulled up at a smallish station, the doors were opened by the conductor/guard/TTI. The gentlemen asked could they buy a ticket onboard. The TTI said no, use the machine to buy a ticket before boarding. They weren't kicked off the train, they weren't allowed on it! There was no option to board and pay a penalty. The TTI blocked the doorway! The train left.

I guess they were late arriving on the platform hence their request and I suppose they just had to wait an hour for the next one.

They looked like walkers, not with luggage. Bit mean I thought given the wet weather!

Last edited:

Re 4/4

Switzerland has been like this for as long as I can remember for S-Bahn and regional trains, and I think ICs now too: no gates anywhere, but you must buy before you board. They're even running a big campaign to tell app users they have to buy the eticket before boarding.

I think Germany and Austria work the same way.

DanielB

The Netherlands as well. Believe there's even a delay in the app now preventing one from buying a ticket only when they see the guard coming.
Officially the rule is that you need to have a ticket when you enter the platform.

peteb

Established Member
The Netherlands as well. Believe there's even a delay in the app now preventing one from buying a ticket only when they see the guard coming.
Officially the rule is that you need to have a ticket when you enter the platform.
Yes, my Northern trains app says not available to buy if you try to buy a ticket at or after the departure time, presumably to prevent you buying a ticket as the guard walks up the train!

Trainman40083

Yes, my Northern trains app says not available to buy if you try to buy a ticket at or after the departure time, presumably to prevent you buying a ticket as the guard walks up the train!
I guess that conveys how many people have been doing it. No doubt if they don't get checked they then cancel the ticket for a refund.

Ringo2112

They should have never asked and just boarded the train. I'm sure the conductor or ticket taker would have straightened it out during the journey. They could have just played " dumb" and assumed they could buy on board.

Towers

Established Member
Of course, that’s easily swerved by simply choosing a later journey itinerary, unless an Advance ticket is required!

U-Bahnfreund

Just fyi, on DB long-distance trains (IC/ICE) it's specifically allowed to purchase a ticket on your phone up to 10 minutes after the actual departure time. I believe this has been the case since they abolished buying a ticket onboard.

This is not the case on regional trains however. Things vary between regions, with either a requirement to buy a ticket before boarding from the ticket office, ticket machine or online. Or, in a few places, there are ticket machines or conductors selling tickets onboard, but this has become increasingly rare. Both VRT and VRM (the relevant Verkehrsverbünde between Koblenz and Trier) fall into the former category.