• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywatcher

Hi All

I am new to this forum and currently in the selection for a depot driver.

I have done extensive research into the TOC but I cannot find a descriptive job role anywhere.

Can someone please tell me in detail what a day to day role is for a depot driver and not just shunting trains as that will not help me.

Your help would fantastic

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

W230

Established Member
Beveridges is the person to ask on this forum. Search for a few of his previous posts - i'm sure he's written a fairly descriptive role for the job recently.

tom1681

Hi All

I am new to this forum and currently in the selection for a depot driver.

I have done extensive research into the TOC but I cannot find a descriptive job role anywhere.

Can someone please tell me in detail what a day to day role is for a depot driver and not just shunting trains as that will not help me.

It varies quite a bit from TOC to TOC, and even depot to depot in some areas. For example, the aforementioned Beveridges works for, IIRC, Northern which has a dedicated depot driver role which does more things than, for example, the Great Eastern side of Greater Anglia which treats a depot driver as the first step to becoming a mainline driver. As such the role at GA is just shunting trains round, but you'd only be doing it for a few years.

Which TOC/depot have you applied for?

Dave1987

On Moderation
Hi skywatcher

It depends totally on what TOC you work and what depot you are applying for. For example Ilford DD's work under a yardy who controls all the moves whereas at Colchester/Clacton the DD's organise and control all movements.

If you are applying for GA I will go through exactly what the job entails. If Northern, Beverages will tell you.

For GA you are only in the Depot for a few years before going mainline.

Sm1

I've just finished my depot driver's driving hours and will have a final assessment next week hopefully.
My duties are shunting,driving and prep/disposal of trains. I will shunt for 1 shift out of every 4, be main driver for 1 shift, then transfer driver for 1 shift and float between roles for the last shift.
Its not a definitive pattern of shifts but it alternates.

badassunicorn

Hey I've just passed out as a DD for GA, and we do quite a lot! Prepping trains, moving trains, shunting units everywhere, all kinds of stuff! I sign 6 different types of traction which is good, and because I'm at the main maintenance depot for the TOC, we get all the dead and broken units in which is weird seeing trains like that! Its a good job!

skywatcher

Hi skywatcher

It depends totally on what TOC you work and what depot you are applying for. For example Ilford DD's work under a yardy who controls all the moves whereas at Colchester/Clacton the DD's organise and control all movements.

If you are applying for GA I will go through exactly what the job entails. If Northern, Beverages will tell you.

For GA you are only in the Depot for a few years before going mainline.

Hi Dave

Yes I'm going for DD with GA at Illford, your help would be great

Dave1987

On Moderation
Hi Dave

Yes I'm going for DD with GA at Illford, your help would be great

Ah you will be busy then! You will sign loads. You will work under a yard controller. Ilford involves lots of shunting in and out of the car sheds and preparing units. Because it is the main maintenance depot for emus you will be shunting a lot with dead units or brakes isolated under a shunter. Lots to do but very enjoyable. DDs do not have to CET trains or clean them.

Geargrinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv1983 View Post
Bev will be along shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_mornin View Post
...any minute now, lets synchonise watches

LOL! Drumroll please............................................ .

I know its just a laugh. But seriously if it wasn't for guys like Beveridges, who actually have some inside knowledge that they are prepared to share, a lot of questions would go unanswered. I would venture to suggest that there are a lot of people currently in their dream jobs, or well into the recruitment process, that would owe Beveridges, and some of the other regular posters on this forum, a decent Thanks.:)

ghost

Hi as a depot driver at Ilford you will move units around the yard by listening on a radio to what the yard controller tell you to do. You will have to prep units, class 321, 315, 360, 317 not the 379 as bombardier does that. You will have to do shunting with the 08 shunt diesel loco and you will do ground work. Ground work involves pulling points, making sure the roads lay correct, making sure units are clear of any obstructions before shunting them around the yard, making sure the signals are showing proceed aspect before moving, and finally making sure you get clearance before you make any move.

Cab2Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv1983 View Post
Bev will be along shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_mornin View Post
...any minute now, lets synchonise watches

LOL! Drumroll please............................................ .

I know its just a laugh. But seriously if it wasn't for guys like Beveridges, who actually have some inside knowledge that they are prepared to share, a lot of questions would go unanswered. I would venture to suggest that there are a lot of people currently in their dream jobs, or well into the recruitment process, that would owe Beveridges, and some of the other regular posters on this forum, a decent Thanks.:)

Hi,

Yeah i was only having a joke, i always read threads that Bev has posted on and i always think he is very helpful guy and i appreciate his input. The time it takes to input reply's can be quite time consuming.I always look forward to any info posted on here and i do like a laugh.

No offence Bev! Sorry in advance.

Thanks to TDK who also answers in depth as well (and others) :D

Cheers

playmore64

Totally agree! Both Bev & TDK are well respected members of this community and a great asset amongst others!

I have nothing but respect and dignity for both of them:D

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Totally agree! Both Bev & TDK are well respected members of this community and a great asset amongst others!

I have nothing but respect and dignity for both of them:D

Totally agree with you, as I'm sure the vast majority here do. Being an outsider, their first hand knowledge is a great asset! But this place would become stale and boring without a bit of a joke every now and then! :D

signal box

Hi
I don't know whether you have seen it already, but there is a fair bit of info about depot drivers on this thread
EMT are recruiting for depot drivers

I know its not your TOC but it might help with some of the questions you may have.

Beveridges

Established Member

Depot Driving at a maintenance depot is, what I think, the pinnacle of British Train Driving. This opinion even comes from some of Depot Drivers at Newton Heath who have previously done mainline both passenger and freight in the 1990's, and driven everything from small bouncy Class 142s all the way up to Class 56's on 2000 ton freights.

Anyway answering the original question; day to day duties of a Maintenance Depot Driver are as follows:

- Preperation and Disposal of Units and Rolling stock. Preperation includes testing everything safety-related is working properly on the unit and a 360-degrees walkaround the outside checking everything under solebar level is intact and set correctly. You have to do this on units that are going to enter service. Not on units that are going into shed buildings for maintenance, or units that are being moved for storage pending further maintenance.
- Rectifying faults and fault diagnosis. This ranges from getting a unit moving that has things that are not set correctly preventing you from getting brake release/power/door closure in order to commence the shunt, to finding faults that prevent the unit from entering service as outlined in the rulebook TW5. These faults, if unable to rectify, require reporting to fitters. Then there is the more advanced form of fault finding. This is when the job requires you to move a complete demic unit, and there are many things wrong with it, and you have to shunt it from one shed road to another, it may require many, many things isolating. Isolating cocks, EBS, TIS, parking brakes, couplers, batteries, all these kind of things are isolated on a very, very regular basis to perform these types of moves. Often these units require assistance from another unit to get them to move. You'll see trains that are under-going repair in a state you've never seen them in before... the engines won't start, the air suspension is down, couplers are unaligned, they leak air very fast, driving cab has loads of stuff missing in it, and you get told you have to move it. Its then up to you to work out how to get the thing moving.
- Ground Shunting. This goes much further than just pulling points for your own train. You'll also be pulling points for other trains that are moving around the depot to improve "depot flow" (the term used to describe how fast trains are moving around the depot). You'll also be involved in manual couple/uncouple, putting split units back together manually (connecting the electrical jumper cables), despatching trains off the depot and dealing with units coming on the depot (often driven by mainline drivers and ferrymen), so you'll have to set the points and give the appropriate hand signals. Ground shunting is also required when propelling moves are taking place; or any other move where another depot driver is driving from other than the leading end. The shunter will have to walk in front of the unit and give out instructions to the driver using hand held radios. Other ground shunting tasks involve putting scotches underneath wheels of "swinger" units before uncoupling, manual couple/uncouple between incompatible rolling stock, DP duties, removing & taking possessions on the fuel rig, fuel rig unit positioning, and so on. All this is only scratching the surface, I could go on a lot longer about ground shunting...
- Safety Critical Communication via hand held radios. This is possibly the most difficult part of the role to learn. As there are often many movements happening at a maintenance depot at the same time (especially at night), you'll have to be constantly listening and communicating with other maintenance depot drivers to (A) Find out where all their moves are going to/from and (B) let everyone know your move. At busy times you'll have to have a map of the depot in your head with everyone's current move/position as other shunting movements will conflict with your own. As there many be up to 7 moves all conflicting with each other at one end of the depot, it becomes like a puzzle that you have to work out how to get around all the other moves, and theres many decisions you'll have to make, from deciding whether to drop down ontop of other units, where to stop and wait, what handpoints to set, whether to double shunt into another siding to get out of the way of another "higher priority" move, if there is another route you can take to get to the part of the depot you're heading to, you'll also have to consider the order that the units go down roads if a certain formation is required. The decisions are endless and you'll often have to be communicating and listening constantly while performing these moves.
This is just what some depots are like. Other, more modern depots, are a lot more simple. They just have ground position light signals that you have to follow instead!
You'll also recieve details of your shunt moves via hand held radio from the Operations Team Leader (the guy who gives out all the moves, a bit like a depot controller). You have to know what unit number to look for, what road it is currently on, where it needs moving to, whether it needs to couple or not, and any additional instructions; such as faults that you may need to know about, whether the toilet needs unblocking, whether you need to fuel it, whether any special positioning is required for a certain type of maintenance, etc.
Other safety crit comms include asking for permission to drop down beyond the depot exit signal to perform a shunt, shunting instructions while propelling / positioning units on the fuel rig / positioning units for maintenance / putting split units back together / reporting faults to fitters / asking permission off the DP to exit & enter depot buildings / listening for whether the posession or "block" has been taken on fuel roads or shed buildings. If a posession has been taken you simply cannot move the unit as fitters/fuellers etc are working on it and it could kill someone if you moved it. This is where you need to listen for whether its been given back.
Theres countless other things that safety-crit comms are essential for, too many to name.
- Driving the units around the depot, in accordance to the depot protection agreements & rulebook, and in an environmentally friendly manner. No I'm not going to write in depth about all the rules and regs relating to the driving or the post would go on forever. You get about 10 weeks on this in your training.
All I will say is that while driving a train at 5mph does not require a great deal of judgement or skill; putting a Class 14X back together again while driving from other than the leading end and having to position it to the centimeter for the "coffins" (then later the rigid bar) to be put together again requires an immense amount of judgement & skill which takes many years to even get quite good at it. As does propelling a "swinger" unit (a unit with brakes isolated) to within less than an inch of a vehicle on jacks (something which is required when you're trying to fit a large unit into the shed when theres only just enough space for it!) this is just an example of how hard, skilled and responsible some of the depotdriving can be. Not only are you driving from other than the leading end, on a road heavily contaminated with oil, but if you actually hit the unit on the jacks, the results could be devestating, I don't think I need to tell you what could happen in terms of potential damage to equipment or even people possibly injured/killed if you get it horribly wrong.
Also before moving ANY unit from a depot building (whether it needs to be prepped or not) you have to perform a 360 walkaround. There often is countless unsafe things you can and often do find, that could make moving that unit without a prior walkaround a disaster.
Other more mundane driving includes driving through the wash road (max speed 2mph), driving up & down the yard/in and out of shed buildings, positioning units for maintenance, moving demic units around, positioning units in the underfloor cleaning shed (exact positioning is required), positioning units for A & B exams (exact positioning required again).
Some of the most fun movements you'll get involved in is driving half units, now apart from isolating certain safety equipment before being able to move off, these moves are simple when going forwards, but going backwards you'll need a ground shunter watching you as you'll obviously be driving from the rear for obvious reasons.
- Fuelling, CET tanking, toilet water refilling, engine oil and coolant. This has been discussed in depth before. these are hard, heavy dirty jobs. On paper fuelling/tanking sounds like unskilled manual labouring but in fact there is a lot of skill involved and this part of the job can take years to master. To be able to fuel trains as fast as possible and also stay clean at the same time is a skill in itself. In brief, Fuelling normally involves lifting a large screw-on coupler (attatched to a thick pipe) and screwing onto a flight valve on a units fuel tank, but thats just scratching the surface... You'll need to log fuel intake for every vehicle, recognise faults on the fuel rig and rectify them (if it's old poorly maintained equipment you'll be problem-solving on a constant basis), keep the fuel rig tidy during use, grit the fuel rig during freezing whether, take posessions/remove posessions, draw units down for positioning, log spillage, wash spillage down the drain, perform tanking duties simultanously, multitasking. Correct use of PPE is also important.

That is just about scratching the surface, on what a Maintenance Depot Driving job involves on a typical day at the Depots I work at. This post ended up longer than I expected, but it is my favourite topic. Yes, the role at other Depots and TOC's will differ, but can only give the point of view of where I have worked.
Do you have any questions about anything specific?

Last edited:

Beveridges

Established Member
Yes I know, thats why I said "Yes, the role at other Depots and TOC's will differ, but can only give the point of view of where I have worked."

skywatcher

Guys,

Thank You for your great responses and detailed descriptions. This is surely gonna help me.

I shall let you know how I get on

Thanks again and Beveridges keep up the great work you do for this forum.

b4zza

Hi Beveridges,

Great info as ever so keep up the good work.

Can I ask you if you know whether the current DD job at Allerton is a trainee role? The salary seems high for a trainee just starting out, although that certainly wouldn't stop me from applying!! I love the sound of such a varied and interesting job but have no experience in rail. I don't want to waste an application if they only want experienced DD's?

Cheers

b4zza

Depot Driving at a maintenance depot is, what I think, the pinnacle of British Train Driving. This opinion even comes from some of Depot Drivers at Newton Heath who have previously done mainline both passenger and freight in the 1990's, and driven everything from small bouncy Class 142s all the way up to Class 56's on 2000 ton freights.

Anyway answering the original question; day to day duties of a Maintenance Depot Driver are as follows:

- Preperation and Disposal of Units and Rolling stock. Preperation includes testing everything safety-related is working properly on the unit and a 360-degrees walkaround the outside checking everything under solebar level is intact and set correctly. You have to do this on units that are going to enter service. Not on units that are going into shed buildings for maintenance, or units that are being moved for storage pending further maintenance.
- Rectifying faults and fault diagnosis. This ranges from getting a unit moving that has things that are not set correctly preventing you from getting brake release/power/door closure in order to commence the shunt, to finding faults that prevent the unit from entering service as outlined in the rulebook TW5. These faults, if unable to rectify, require reporting to fitters. Then there is the more advanced form of fault finding. This is when the job requires you to move a complete demic unit, and there are many things wrong with it, and you have to shunt it from one shed road to another, it may require many, many things isolating. Isolating cocks, EBS, TIS, parking brakes, couplers, batteries, all these kind of things are isolated on a very, very regular basis to perform these types of moves. Often these units require assistance from another unit to get them to move. You'll see trains that are under-going repair in a state you've never seen them in before... the engines won't start, the air suspension is down, couplers are unaligned, they leak air very fast, driving cab has loads of stuff missing in it, and you get told you have to move it. Its then up to you to work out how to get the thing moving.
- Ground Shunting. This goes much further than just pulling points for your own train. You'll also be pulling points for other trains that are moving around the depot to improve "depot flow" (the term used to describe how fast trains are moving around the depot). You'll also be involved in manual couple/uncouple, putting split units back together manually (connecting the electrical jumper cables), despatching trains off the depot and dealing with units coming on the depot (often driven by mainline drivers and ferrymen), so you'll have to set the points and give the appropriate hand signals. Ground shunting is also required when propelling moves are taking place; or any other move where another depot driver is driving from other than the leading end. The shunter will have to walk in front of the unit and give out instructions to the driver using hand held radios. Other ground shunting tasks involve putting scotches underneath wheels of "swinger" units before uncoupling, manual couple/uncouple between incompatible rolling stock, DP duties, removing & taking possessions on the fuel rig, fuel rig unit positioning, and so on. All this is only scratching the surface, I could go on a lot longer about ground shunting...
- Safety Critical Communication via hand held radios. This is possibly the most difficult part of the role to learn. As there are often many movements happening at a maintenance depot at the same time (especially at night), you'll have to be constantly listening and communicating with other maintenance depot drivers to (A) Find out where all their moves are going to/from and (B) let everyone know your move. At busy times you'll have to have a map of the depot in your head with everyone's current move/position as other shunting movements will conflict with your own. As there many be up to 7 moves all conflicting with each other at one end of the depot, it becomes like a puzzle that you have to work out how to get around all the other moves, and theres many decisions you'll have to make, from deciding whether to drop down ontop of other units, where to stop and wait, what handpoints to set, whether to double shunt into another siding to get out of the way of another "higher priority" move, if there is another route you can take to get to the part of the depot you're heading to, you'll also have to consider the order that the units go down roads if a certain formation is required. The decisions are endless and you'll often have to be communicating and listening constantly while performing these moves.
This is just what some depots are like. Other, more modern depots, are a lot more simple. They just have ground position light signals that you have to follow instead!
You'll also recieve details of your shunt moves via hand held radio from the Operations Team Leader (the guy who gives out all the moves, a bit like a depot controller). You have to know what unit number to look for, what road it is currently on, where it needs moving to, whether it needs to couple or not, and any additional instructions; such as faults that you may need to know about, whether the toilet needs unblocking, whether you need to fuel it, whether any special positioning is required for a certain type of maintenance, etc.
Other safety crit comms include asking for permission to drop down beyond the depot exit signal to perform a shunt, shunting instructions while propelling / positioning units on the fuel rig / positioning units for maintenance / putting split units back together / reporting faults to fitters / asking permission off the DP to exit & enter depot buildings / listening for whether the posession or "block" has been taken on fuel roads or shed buildings. If a posession has been taken you simply cannot move the unit as fitters/fuellers etc are working on it and it could kill someone if you moved it. This is where you need to listen for whether its been given back.
Theres countless other things that safety-crit comms are essential for, too many to name.
- Driving the units around the depot, in accordance to the depot protection agreements & rulebook, and in an environmentally friendly manner. No I'm not going to write in depth about all the rules and regs relating to the driving or the post would go on forever. You get about 10 weeks on this in your training.
All I will say is that while driving a train at 5mph does not require a great deal of judgement or skill; putting a Class 14X back together again while driving from other than the leading end and having to position it to the centimeter for the "coffins" (then later the rigid bar) to be put together again requires an immense amount of judgement & skill which takes many years to even get quite good at it. As does propelling a "swinger" unit (a unit with brakes isolated) to within less than an inch of a vehicle on jacks (something which is required when you're trying to fit a large unit into the shed when theres only just enough space for it!) this is just an example of how hard, skilled and responsible some of the depotdriving can be. Not only are you driving from other than the leading end, on a road heavily contaminated with oil, but if you actually hit the unit on the jacks, the results could be devestating, I don't think I need to tell you what could happen in terms of potential damage to equipment or even people possibly injured/killed if you get it horribly wrong.
Also before moving ANY unit from a depot building (whether it needs to be prepped or not) you have to perform a 360 walkaround. There often is countless unsafe things you can and often do find, that could make moving that unit without a prior walkaround a disaster.
Other more mundane driving includes driving through the wash road (max speed 2mph), driving up & down the yard/in and out of shed buildings, positioning units for maintenance, moving demic units around, positioning units in the underfloor cleaning shed (exact positioning is required), positioning units for A & B exams (exact positioning required again).
Some of the most fun movements you'll get involved in is driving half units, now apart from isolating certain safety equipment before being able to move off, these moves are simple when going forwards, but going backwards you'll need a ground shunter watching you as you'll obviously be driving from the rear for obvious reasons.
- Fuelling, CET tanking, toilet water refilling, engine oil and coolant. This has been discussed in depth before. these are hard, heavy dirty jobs. On paper fuelling/tanking sounds like unskilled manual labouring but in fact there is a lot of skill involved and this part of the job can take years to master. To be able to fuel trains as fast as possible and also stay clean at the same time is a skill in itself. In brief, Fuelling normally involves lifting a large screw-on coupler (attatched to a thick pipe) and screwing onto a flight valve on a units fuel tank, but thats just scratching the surface... You'll need to log fuel intake for every vehicle, recognise faults on the fuel rig and rectify them (if it's old poorly maintained equipment you'll be problem-solving on a constant basis), keep the fuel rig tidy during use, grit the fuel rig during freezing whether, take posessions/remove posessions, draw units down for positioning, log spillage, wash spillage down the drain, perform tanking duties simultanously, multitasking. Correct use of PPE is also important.

That is just about scratching the surface, on what a Maintenance Depot Driving job involves on a typical day at the Depots I work at. This post ended up longer than I expected, but it is my favourite topic. Yes, the role at other Depots and TOC's will differ, but can only give the point of view of where I have worked.
Do you have any questions about anything specific?

Beveridges

Established Member
Can I ask you if you know whether the current DD job at Allerton is a trainee role? The salary seems high for a trainee just starting out, although that certainly wouldn't stop me from applying!! I love the sound of such a varied and interesting job but have no experience in rail. I don't want to waste an application if they only want experienced DD's?

The role Northern are advertising seems to be for trainees, don't think any qualified MDD's would be interested in going to Allerton as if I remember right it has East conditions (which are far worse for MDD's than West) and there are far more night turns.

Other than that I don't know much about what its like to work at Allerton. Its one of the few Northern Depots I have never visited. Seeing how busy this depot is going to get over the next few years, I certainly can't imagine this role being boring. The depot carries out most major maintenance on Northerns 156's, in future it will also carry out all maintenance on all the 317 & 319 electric units when they finally arrive. Apparantly it is also getting a class 08 shunt locomotive for hauling "swingers".

The salary seems high for a trainee just starting out, although that certainly wouldn't stop me from applying
The trainee salary looks quite low to me at £24k. When I started out I was on £27k on day 1 of my training, and that was back in 2008, so should be a lot higher now. Again its due to the differences in conditions between Allerton and West Depots like Newton Heath/Blackpool.

I have no idea why Allerton has East conditions when its in the north west.

Last edited:

b4zza

Thanks Beveridges for the quick reply.

I mentioned the salary looking high as I had seen the trainee salaries for mainline, and they start with Northern about £5k lower than this but go up higher on qualification. It just seemed strange that this was higher at the outset? It must be a bit like why Allerton is East T&C's when it is in the North West!

In any event, I think I'll get to work on applying. Thanks once again for your assistance, it is much appreciated!

b4zza

Beveridges

Established Member
I mentioned the salary looking high as I had seen the trainee salaries for mainline, and they start with Northern about £5k lower than this but go up higher on qualification.

Again its the totally different T&C's between different grades.
West training salary for MDD is about £34k basically it's the full wage from day 1 but on passing out the earning potential nearly doubles due to overtime and working the optional Sundays paid at far higher rate - for those who want it. West title the job as Driver Operator while East title it as MDD Driver.

East MDD conditions generally see much lower training salaries, slightly lower qualified salaries, more hours (37-hour week instead of 35), Sundays part of the working week, nearly all overtime flat rate. East conditions were inherited from Arriva Trains Northern. West conditions were inherited from First North Western.
But why Allerton has East T&C's is anyones guess. This is only guessing, but maybe, as it is a new depot that only opened in 2011, the company had the opportunity pick and chose whether to give it East or West T&C's. They went with the worst of the two as it benefits them.

Still don't let that put you off what could be an excellent role, its certainly a good grade to get into

Last edited:

shedman

East MDD conditions generally see much lower training salaries, slightly lower qualified salaries, more hours (37-hour week instead of 35), Sundays part of the working week, nearly all overtime flat rate. East conditions were inherited from Arriva Trains Northern. West conditions were inherited from First North Western.
But why Allerton has East T&C's is anyones guess. This is only guessing, but maybe, as it is a new depot that only opened in 2011, the company had the opportunity pick and chose whether to give it East or West T&C's. They went with the worst of the two as it benefits them.

Still don't let that put you off what could be an excellent role, its certainly a good grade to get into

Close but no cigar. We are in 35 hour week, our salary is just shy of £34k and there is no training wage. We get paid time +5% for overtime which is very little difference.

There is going to be vacancies coming up very soon at Neville Hill so if anyone is interested then keep an eye open.

Status
Not open for further replies.