• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot Trainee driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1987

On Moderation
I actually think it is Dave - and that's my I gave my example of the courtesy and professionalism shown while I was in the cab with one. What confuses me is why some TOCs consider it a stepping stone whilst others don't. There needs to be some clarification on that.

Ok fair enough sorry you didn't make that clear. Well it seems a lot of TOCs are starting to come round to the idea that a driver spends a few years in the depot getting some experience in at lower speeds and some good traction knowledge before going mainline. It certainly seems to work well on GA.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Layaboutlarry

I know today was judgement day for some of us in this thread (Stuart and Fento) and just wondered how you guys got on today or how you feel things went at least.

It's my turn tomorrow but I have done all of the assessments from my first attempt but failed my competency based interview so I'm hoping that'll be taken a step further tomorrow...

Stuart-h

Have to ponder what the out come of results are. Ive got no idea how I done and dont think Ive got enough of a pass mark :/

fento

Have to ponder what the out come of results are. Ive got no idea how I done and dont think Ive got enough of a pass mark :/

Its one of them.I've no idea,but I've never known 2 minutes on the burdon test go so quick,it felt like 30 seconds when she said change.just fingers crossed & wait.:o

Beveridges

Established Member
Depot Driving is not a stepping stone to mainline. It can be if you want it to be, but the role is much, much more than just that. It is an alternative.

Now lets talk about Depot Driving as a role in itself, rather than as a "second rate" driving role which most people on here seem to think of it as.

It's better to get a job as a Depot Driver in a company that does NOT treat it as a stepping stone to mainline, as these companies normally make the DD role an attractive alternative with better work, pay and conditions than the companies who treat it as a stepping stone.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Depot Driving is not a stepping stone to mainline. It can be if you want it to be, but the role is much, much more than just that. It is an alternative.

Now lets talk about Depot Driving as a role in itself, rather than as a "second rate" driving role which most people on here seem to think of it as.

It's better to get a job as a Depot Driver in a company that does NOT treat it as a stepping stone to mainline, as these companies normally make the DD role an attractive alternative with better work, pay and conditions than the companies who treat it as a stepping stone.

Sorry Bev but your Depot Driving job may not be a stepping stone to mainline but you can't say that it is not full stop. C2C, GA, EMT all consider DEpot Driving as a stepping stone to mainline. Just because you don't consider it so or don't want it to be a stepping stone doesn't make your opinion right. Mainline driving is certainly the goal of most people who apply. My point is that people should apply for depot driving roles that are a stepping stone to mainline.

A-driver

Established Member
Some people join as guards as they want a foot in the door to be a driver. Others join as guards as they want to be a guard and wouldn't consider going for driver jobs. Same with shunters and depot drivers to.

I know you live your job Bevs but you don't need to keep getting so defensive whenever someone suggests that depot driving isn't the best job in the world! Personally I don't agree with you. I'd take one of our mainline turns over the shunt/yard jobs anyway but I appreciate you have no desire to go mainline.

Beveridges

Established Member
Some people join as guards as they want a foot in the door to be a driver. Others join as guards as they want to be a guard and wouldn't consider going for driver jobs. Same with shunters and depot drivers to.
This is what I have been saying all along
I know you live your job Bevs but you don't need to keep getting so defensive whenever someone suggests that depot driving isn't the best job in the world! Personally I don't agree with you. I'd take one of our mainline turns over the shunt/yard jobs anyway but I appreciate you have no desire to go mainline.

Mainline drivers don't need to get offensive either just because I believe Depot Driving is the best form of driving

Layaboutlarry

I'm pretty sure it was eight at derby and eight at notts...
You not heard anything today?
I'm still waiting but do t feel to good bout it...

Stuart-h

Havent heard anything. I'm tempted to give them a ring tomorropw - the suspence is killing me!

Press & call

This is what I have been saying all along

Mainline drivers don't need to get offensive either just because I believe Depot Driving is the best form of driving

Depot driving is the worst form of driving!!!!!! 5 mph in a yard or sidings, working with a bunch of dimlows that you don't want to, the day/night being the same as every day/night, lower wages, doing the same moves....!!!! Come on mate 42+ grand a year to live the dream on the mainline plus chicks dig a train driver... it's a no brainer you obviously have no ambitition or scared to go 100 mph.

Geargrinder

I'm pretty sure it was eight at derby and eight at notts...
You not heard anything today?
I'm still waiting but do t feel to good bout it...

That's a lot of Trainee Depot Drivers ! I know Derby Etches Park is a big depot, but I go past Nottingham a lot and wouldn't have thought there were many more than 8 depot drivers at the whole place.

Press & call

Anyone looking to get into the railway industry HAS to go for mainline, depot driving is the worst form of driving, your treated like crap, your day is as dull and boring as everyday, and if you want to call it a stepping stone then it's the long way to go mainline. Apply for trainee mainline jobs, better pay, more respected, the job is more varied and no day is the same. Anyone disagree???

Pilgrim

I think people have different opinions of what job they like. If its mainline that suits you, well done you but leave off the depot drivers. There job is as needed as yours and if people enjoy doing it then let them.

Stuart-h

I'd be happy for a job at the moment!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Didnt pass at all :(

Press & call

I think people have different opinions of what job they like. If its mainline that suits you, well done you but leave off the depot drivers. There job is as needed as yours and if people enjoy doing it then let them.

I'm not saying that..... I'm saying that no one on these forums tell the truth about the job, I've worked from the bottom up and know how soul destroying that job is people should go into the job knowing what it's like...!!

Geargrinder

I'm not saying that..... I'm saying that no one on these forums tell the truth about the job, I've worked from the bottom up and know how soul destroying that job is people should go into the job knowing what it's like...!!

But what is the truth ? You say its soul destroying, not respected, working with dimlows etc. Beveridges says its Great. Some mainline drivers on here say its a good route into a mainline trainee role, and others say it isn't.......

A-driver

Established Member
Depot driving is the worst form of driving!!!!!! 5 mph in a yard or sidings, working with a bunch of dimlows that you don't want to, the day/night being the same as every day/night, lower wages, doing the same moves....!!!! Come on mate 42+ grand a year to live the dream on the mainline plus chicks dig a train driver... it's a no brainer you obviously have no ambitition or scared to go 100 mph.

I find that a bit harsh! And that is only your opinion. Bev differs from you in his opinion but some of what you say is down to you-I'm sure the other 'dimlows' feel the same way about having to work with you! You could become a mainline driver and not get along with your colleagues in the same way.

Depot drivers certainly arnt a lower "class" of person than a mainline driver-many are ex mainline who are restricted for whatever reason and many become mainline drivers. In some ways a depot driver is more knowledgable than mainline-they will often be far better and quicker at diagnosing and rectifying faults, some faults that us mainline drivers would end up phoning the depot for help with!

Dave1987

On Moderation
Anyone looking to get into the railway industry HAS to go for mainline, depot driving is the worst form of driving, your treated like crap, your day is as dull and boring as everyday, and if you want to call it a stepping stone then it's the long way to go mainline. Apply for trainee mainline jobs, better pay, more respected, the job is more varied and no day is the same. Anyone disagree???

Are you for real? To get mainline some ppl are prepared to get in as a guard/platform staff/cleaner then work their way up. Some TOCs you HAVE to start as a depot driver. A few years in the depot before mainline is a lot better than not being in the grade at all!! Like I said before restricting yourself to only going for trainee mainline jobs restricts your prospects a lot.

And I bet you are very liked in the mess room aren't you calling people "dimlows", just remember a fews SPADs or incidents on your record and you might be one of those "dimlows"! The bigger they are the harder they fall. There are 3 ex drivers I know who had one too many incidents and have ended up in platform and cleaning grades!

Last edited:

A-driver

Established Member
Are you for real? To get mainline some ppl are prepared to get in as a guard/platform staff/cleaner then work their way up. Some TOCs you HAVE to start as a depot driver. A few years in the depot before mainline is a lot better than not being in the grade at all!! Like I said before restricting yourself to only going for trainee mainline jobs restricts your prospects a lot.

And I bet you are very liked in the mess room aren't you calling people "dimlows", just remember a fews SPADs or incidents on your record and you might be one of those "dimlows"! The bigger they are the harder they fall. There are 3 ex drivers I know who had one too many incidents and have ended up in platform and cleaning grades!

I wouldn't even worry so much about spads and other incidents 'within your control' (obviously within reason before I am flooded with arguments about that!)

I'd be more worried about waking up one morning finding that you have developed a visual imparement, in-curable ear problems, trip and fall down the stairs causing irreparable damage to part of you or any other reason that could, through absolutely no fault of your own, lead to you being taken off driving permanently and either face looking for a new job in another industry or else becoming one of these 'dimlows' where the company will look after you, help you with a parachute scheme to your new salary, keep many benefits etc.

Whilst for me personally I would choose mainline over depot any day I certainly wouldn't say no to depot work if it was my only option and certainly never look down my nose at colleagues in 'lower grades'.

By 'eck

I think Bev and Dave have explained the role fully and truthfully, I have tried to get across that the role is enjoyable, but it's down to each individual as in every job, some will like it, others possibly not, the majority on these forums who like to put the role down have never done it!
You've worked from the bottom up and achieved the role of train driver I take it, working as an MDD on the way? But are advising others not to do it? Would you have getting mainline without being an MDD do you think?
Surely anything that gets you onto the railway whether its as a guard, cleaner or MDD has got to be a start?
I have not come across one MDD who does not enjoy the job, yes some would like to go mainline, for the money, but others are happy doing what they do.
Like I've said previously just don't overlook the role.
Once in you could always hand in your notice and go back to your previous job, I certainly wouldn't give up my £31k+ and my 187 days off per year and go back to my old job!

fento

Anyone else been EMT this week for burdon test heard anything.can't stand the waiting & wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.