• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depots in Cornwall/Devon

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve158

can anyone(simming maybe)tell me where wessex have traincrew depots in cornwall? i think there's one at st austell.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
heres what I know

Fratton ( for late night Pompeys )
Westbury
Weymouth
Cardiff
Exeter

Jim

Established Member
I *THINK* you are correct - They use it for the Newquey Line & terminating services

TheSlash

Established Member
Fratton is a full Wessex depot, they normally have at least 5 units stabled at Fratton on a week night
I called in at Castle Cary on a flying visit to Somerset this afternoon, not much there so they wouldn't have a train crew depot
Without looking at the website, i wouldn't of said Weymouth for a depot but i hear its the most sought after drivers depot on SWT, apparently there is a 7 year waiting list!

Jim

Established Member
No. Weymouth drivers are 442 only (SWT) + Wessexs' Weymouth's don't do the 31s

Techniquest

Veteran Member
TheSlash said:
Fratton is a full Wessex depot, they normally have at least 5 units stabled at Fratton on a week night
I called in at Castle Cary on a flying visit to Somerset this afternoon, not much there so they wouldn't have a train crew depot
Without looking at the website, i wouldn't of said Weymouth for a depot but i hear its the most sought after drivers depot on SWT, apparently there is a 7 year waiting list!

There's a depot at Weymouth?! Never seen it!

I've seen one stabling siding with fences around it in September 2004, where a 450 was located, but that's it.

Jim

Established Member
Traincrew Depots

Edit by Seth - Shouting removed. Jim, there's no need to raise your voice ;).

jdjonnay

Par is the traincrew depot, St Blazey is the rolling stock depot where light work gets undertaken on the units (of a night when EWS have packed up for the day).

Although WXT do have a yard driver for St BZ as EWS men aren't allowed to drive the units IIRC.

Also Penzance is a traincrew depot, Exeter I'm not sure of, I think there's exeter trainmen. Plymouth is FGW and I don't think there are wessex Plymouth crews.

Jon

TheSlash

Established Member
Exeter is at least a minor maintenance depot. On my way home from the Dartmoor railway in my misguided days of EMU preservation, i often stood on Exeter St Davids studying operations but it was more of a maintenance, shunting and general procedure 'study' than where the drivers actually came from

jdjonnay

yeh, light work is undertaken on units in exeter yard as well as fueling etc. Although its mostly stabling I think, there's not much heavy duty machinery in there.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.