• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derail Valley Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlogax

Established Member
I know there was an old Derail Valley thread some time back but it didn't get much attention. In case anyone still remembers it, DV has just received a large update and has been renamed to Derail Valley Simulator. Huge improvements and additions have been provided across almost every aspect of the game.
  • Day / night cycles
  • Weather
  • Train suspension
  • Water effects
  • Visual effects + lighting
  • Advanced brake simulation
  • New UI
  • Rendering improvements
  • Sessions manager
  • Sandbox mode
+ plenty more. I downloaded the update over the weekend and spent a few hours in the sim.. it's actually astonishing to see how many improvements have been made. This feels a bit more than your average Trainz version update. And yes, you can play it in 2d if you want, though I personally find the VR immersion to be very impressive and I wouldn't want to play it any other way.

Good video here from Squirrel who demonstrates some of the improvements, notably the new DE2 and DE6 locos.

In terms of future features there are plenty in the queue which is good to see. One downside of this Simulator update is the map is pretty much the same as before, but the based on the roadmap (Derail Valley Unlocks) I'd hope to see scope for new maps / worlds with new track types, cities, OHE etc.

Anyway. This is absolutely worth your time if you have a VR setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.