• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailed Liverpool Metro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeholmes

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2149962005

Rush-hour underground train derails

A busy commuter train derailed in Liverpool city centre during the rush-hour on Wednesday following a suspected mechanical fault.

All 119 passengers on board the underground train were safely evacuated after it came off the tracks as it travelled from Lime Street to Central Station.

The only casualties were two people who suffered shock, a spokesman for Merseyside Fire Service said.

Passengers were taken from the station and given alternative transport home.

A spokeswoman for Merseyside Police said that it appeared the derailment was caused by a mechanical fault.

The low-speed derailment happened about 200metres (yards) from Central Station.

Union officials said a temporary speed restriction of 20mph was in operation inside the tunnel.

British Transport Police were called out at 5.55pm to the scene but they said it was not a major incident.

Peter Mulcahy, incident commander for Mersey Regional Ambulance Service, said two elderly people were treated at the scene for shock but no passengers were taken to hospital.

He said: "Looking at the passengers they were very spirited when they came off the train."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jim

Established Member
The BBC were lying all night.

"A major Collision"

"Emergancy services are at the crash site"

They said derailment once I think between 19.30 + 20.00

FFS BBC, this is mad, a crash is when it crashes with something :roll:

Guinness

Established Member
There's a Thread in the Mess Room and one (at the moment) News Report about it in Railway News.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I caught the end of the 6 o'clock news, on Wednesday Evening, when the derailment was briefly mentioned at the end. Needless to say that it was "reported to be a major incident". That sentance made me think that it was a derailment involving a Pendolino around Liverpool (which could be bad). If it was mentioned as something along the lines of what it was- "a low-speed derailment, involving a busy commuter train, near Liverpool" etc, I would have made not alot of it.

Needless to say though, as soon as I heard the word "train" mentioned, I thought the Media will be making the story seem alot worse.

KevinR

Yea, its quite amusing to see how much the media make a meal out of the smallest mole-hill sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.