• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment Craigentinney depot 30/10/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard this morning via a friend at scotrail that there has been a derailment at craigentinny depot, I do not know any more details than that at the moment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CTS1990

It is certainly affecting LNER services this morning. Quite a few cancellations and/or amendments both north and southbound. Is this likely to continue throughout the day?

Established Member
It is certainly affecting LNER services this morning. Quite a few cancellations and/or amendments both north and southbound. Is this likely to continue throughout the day?
Yes all day

dk1

Veteran Member
Lumo posting they’ll be affected too. Hope it’s nothing too serious and those responsible don’t get into too much bother. Always a relief when you hear it was something like a set of depot track/points that split/moved.

Not a thing on LNER app about the probelm but then when you look trains are cancelled. Why do they say good service when there isn’t a good service

williamn

Not a thing on LNER app about the probelm but then when you look trains are cancelled. Why do they say good service when there isn’t a good service
And cheeky that they are now attributing cancellations of the 07.52 and 09.52 from Aberdeen to this, when they were cancelled before it occurred…

Established Member
And cheeky that they are now attributing cancellations of the 07.52 and 09.52 from Aberdeen to this, when they were cancelled before it occurred…
They were due to start at Edinburgh, however as the sets are unable to exit Craigentinny they will start at Newcastle, so a mixture of the floods and the derailement

The Puddock

Lumo posting they’ll be affected too. Hope it’s nothing too serious and those responsible don’t get into too much bother. Always a relief when you hear it was something like a set of depot track/points that split/moved.
That’s exactly what it was - 801220 has split a set of hand points as it was entering the depot.

The Puddock

I didn’t mean to imply that it had and I’m sorry if you read something deeper that wasn’t there in the way I phrased it.

dk1

Veteran Member
That’s exactly what it was - 801220 has split a set of hand points as it was entering the depot.
Very pleased to hear that. Thanks mate.

I didn’t mean to imply that it had and I’m sorry if you read something deeper that wasn’t there in the way I phrased it.
I didn't read it as anything else than hand points split underneath :frown:

Gaelan

Lumo have seemingly arranged ticket acceptance with everyone but LNER:
You can use your ticket on the following alternatives:

• Avanti West Coast between Preston and London Euston
  • CrossCountry via any reasonable route
  • Grand Central via any reasonable route
  • TransPennine Express via any reasonable route

Somewhere

I didn't read it as anything else than hand points split underneath :frown:
Whenever there's an incident, its not always immediately apparent what the cause is. Things have to be ruled out - driver, brakes, signalling, track and anything else that may be involved. Even if things appear to be obvious, things can change once it starts being investigated

Established Member
Unit should be rerailed and clear by 12pm.
Depot infrastructure should be available from 16:00.

dk1

Veteran Member
Whenever there's an incident, its not always immediately apparent what the cause is. Things have to be ruled out - driver, brakes, signalling, track and anything else that may be involved. Even if things appear to be obvious, things can change once it starts being investigated
Agreed. I've been involved in and witnessed many over the years thankfully only one was my fault.

williamn

Yeah a pretty bad day on LNER, in my case combined with cancellation of services from Aberdeen. Staff on the ground did a good job in the circumstances. My train, what was the 12.29 from Edinburgh (which should have been from Aberdeen) left as the 14.30 in the end and was the first train out for several hours, very very overcrowded. I'm always amazed that people would rather stand than take the recommendation of the guard that they take the train in the adjacent platform which would leave shortly after and that had seats available.

Established Member
Yeah a pretty bad day on LNER, in my case combined with cancellation of services from Aberdeen. Staff on the ground did a good job in the circumstances. My train, what was the 12.29 from Edinburgh (which should have been from Aberdeen) left as the 14.30 in the end and was the first train out for several hours, very very overcrowded. I'm always amazed that people would rather stand than take the recommendation of the guard that they take the train in the adjacent platform which would leave shortly after and that had seats available.
To me I would be on the first train, would always be the fear the the other train would be cancelled, which tbf does normally happen as no crew.

But yes staff on ground at Edinburgh do a fantastic job, 2 fatalities and the derailment has been a challenging day for the customers and staff.

Taunton

Established Member
Whenever there's an incident, its not always immediately apparent what the cause is. Things have to be ruled out - driver, brakes, signalling, track and anything else that may be involved.
OK. However, this should in no way impact the best recovery of service for the passengers and freight. The railway can do their investigations around that, but first priority is clear the lines and get things running properly again.

Then you have all the time you wish to investigate. The "touch nothing before RAIB turn up from Derby" approach, just because it is convenient for them, is not the way to go.

Established Member
OK. However, this should in no way impact the best recovery of service for the passengers and freight. The railway can do their investigations around that, but first priority is clear the lines and get things running properly again.

Then you have all the time you wish to investigate. The "touch nothing before RAIB turn up from Derby" approach, just because it is convenient for them, is not the way to go.
RAIB were notified about this, however no need for them to attend. So that isn’t relevant to this incident.

Availability of Craigentinny now put back from original estimate. Revised plans being drawn up for tonight, may also have some impact in the morning, but the extent is currently TBC.

Somewhere

It depends upon what has caused it. If a wrong side failure, for instance, you don't want to be running a service until its been figured out what went wrong and the fault fixed.
If people have been injured or killed, the area will be a crime scene anyway, and outside of the railway's control
First priority will be safety, not getting the service back in

Status
Not open for further replies.