• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby area questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eire Sprinter

I’ve two questions. Thanks in advance for any info.

1. Intermediate station between Peartree and Derby Midland?
Just wondering if there was ever an intermediate station between Peartree and Derby Midland?
Glancing towards Peartree from the A514 Osmaston Road overbridge a platform seems to exist on the right hand side. Perhaps an erstwhile workers’ platform?

2. Sinfin Central: I note that Wikipedia refers to a 360yard public path to Sinfin Central which is stated to be still in situ. Am wondering: (a) is this path still accessible to the public such that one could walk from Wilmore Rd. to the station; (b) whereabouts on Wilmore Rd. this path begins. Presumably the station site is to the west of Wilmore Rd. (c) have any railtours traversed the Sinfin branch since its closure to passenger trains?

Interestingly Google Street View shows a disused track traversing the south eastern section of Wilmore Road (image date is Sept 2008 though). There is a grassy path running roughly north-westwards not far from this disused line, possibly the path to the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1. Intermediate station between Peartree and Derby Midland?
Just wondering if there was ever an intermediate station between Peartree and Derby Midland?
Glancing towards Peartree from the A514 Osmaston Road overbridge a platform seems to exist on the right hand side. Perhaps an erstwhile workers’ platform?
Yes, Ramsline Halt. It was originally called Baseball Ground Halt and became disused after Derby County FC moved to Pride Park.

It crops up here from time to time on here.

Eire Sprinter

That's an interesting one! After posting I had thought that perhaps it had a tenuous connection with Litchurch Lane Works.

The area immediately around Ramsline Halt seems to be industrial in nature. If ever in the decades ahead a localised rail service was being developed one element of it could run Derby - Ramsline - Peartree - Sinfin.

Mugby

Established Member
I'm very happy to join this forum and to start by answering your question!

Ramsline Halt was joint (expensive!) venture between Derby City Council, British Rail and Derby County FC.
It was only ever used by ONE TRAIN! The reason for that was because it wasn't realised at the time that the line wasn't up to passenger standards. This was due to the prescence of hand points at the Derby end which would require to be clipped and scotched every time a passenger train traversed them. It must have been quickly decided that it wasn't worth the bother, so Ramsline Halt was a very costly white elephant! The access is now removed but the platform remains as a reminder of a great folly!

Many years ago, there was a platform just west of London Road bridge on the up side only (adjacent to where the new signalling centre is) It was known as the 'ticket platform' It was removed in the late 1970's. It may have been for use of rail workers only, does anyone know?

The former Sinfin North and Central platforms are still in situ but Central is within the Rolls Royce complex and the only path along it is to the RR car park for their emplyees, certainly no access from Wilmore Road, it's well fenced off. When the service used to run, the timetable carried a note to say that Central and North only had access to and from adjacent factories.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'm very happy to join this forum and to start by answering your question!

Ramsline Halt was joint (expensive!) venture between Derby City Council, British Rail and Derby County FC.
It was only ever used by ONE TRAIN! The reason for that was because it wasn't realised at the time that the line wasn't up to passenger standards. This was due to the prescence of hand points at the Derby end which would require to be clipped and scotched every time a passenger train traversed them. It must have been quickly decided that it wasn't worth the bother, so Ramsline Halt was a very costly white elephant! The access is now removed but the platform remains as a reminder of a great folly!

Many years ago, there was a platform just west of London Road bridge on the up side only (adjacent to where the new signalling centre is) It was known as the 'ticket platform' It was removed in the late 1970's. It may have been for use of rail workers only, does anyone know?

The former Sinfin North and Central platforms are still in situ but Central is within the Rolls Royce complex and the only path along it is to the RR car park for their emplyees, certainly no access from Wilmore Road, it's well fenced off. When the service used to run, the timetable carried a note to say that Central and North only had access to and from adjacent factories.

Welcome to the forum from a Derby exile!

Ramsline Halt was built in time for an East Midlands derby but despite being an avid Rams fan I can't remember which one! I'm going to guess at November 1990 (we won, 2 1, a Dean Saunders header at the Normanton End, memories!). I'm guessing that the platform was built on the same line that served the long gone Charrington oil terminal. I think the track still survives but will no doubt be swept away when Derby station is resignalled.

Eire Sprinter

Welcome to the forum Mugby!

Rooted out the 1988 Baker Atlas and it shows that the line then extended a short distance beyond Sinfin Central (but beyond Sinfin Central was freight only) so that would explain the disused tracks I saw traversing Wilmore Rd. on Google Street View.

Perusing the aerial view facility and heading down the branch from Melbourne Jct. to Sinfin, Sinfin North platform appears to be on the right hand side and Sinfin Central on the left hand side. Incidentally there a light engine, possibly a Class 37, passing Sinfin North!

Last edited:

Mugby

Established Member

Rooted out the 1988 Baker Atlas and it shows that the line then extended a short distance beyond Sinfin Central (but beyond Sinfin Central was freight only) so that would explain the disused tracks I saw traversing Wilmore Rd. on Google Street View.

It may surprise you to know that it was originally a double tracked through route! It ran through to Chellaston Junction where it joined the Sheet Stores to Stenson line. I seem to think that when a rail line is closed, any rails which cross a public road have to be left in situ, or require an act of parliament to remove them.

Just imagine how useful the line would be today for diversions between Sheet Stores and Derby without having to reverse at Stenson!

The line on which Ramsline Halt stands originally ran into St. Andrews goods yard at Derby where the LNWR had a large depot. They used to work goods traffic up their branch from Lichfield to Wichnor Junction and into Derby over the Midland. The junction where it leaves the main line just below Peartree Station is called LNW Junction.

The class 37 would have been delivering tankers of aviation fuel to Rolls Royce siding, for which the branch is still used (occasionally)

Thanks for your welcomes by the way!

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member

Originally the line joined up with the Sheet Stores - Stenson Jct freight only line but that has been closed for many years (that is the short but of track that you can see on Google maps.

In terms of a future for the line, I'm afraid there isn't one although the Sinfin branch is still served by trains bringing in aviation fuel for the RR test beds. As far as I know these run from Warrington. Although RR is a very successful company and employees thousands of highly skilled people in Derby, a train to serve the various plants will never be viable. Workers travel from all over the county and beyond and you be fighting a losing battle to persuade them to take the train; its just too inflexible. Not only that but I think the branch has track circuit issues.

In terms of boosting local rail traffic, it would be nice to see Toyota making use of the disused freight terminal at Burton. Or the soon to be closed Courtaulds plant at Spondon where the sidings that once served the plant remain intact.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It may surprise you to know that it was originally a double tracked through route! It ran through to Chellaston Junction where it joined the Sheet Stores to Stenson line. I seem to think that when a rail line is closed, any rails which cross a public road have to be left in situ, or require an act of parliament to remove them.

Just imagine how useful the line would be today for diversions between Sheet Stores and Derby without having to reverse at Stenson!

The line on which Ramsline Halt stands originally ran into St. Andrews goods yard at Derby where the LNWR had a large depot. They used to work goods traffic up their branch from Lichfield to Wichnor Junction and into Derby over the Midland. The junction where it leaves the main line just below Peartree Station is called LNW Junction.

The class 37 would have been delivering tankers of aviation fuel to Rolls Royce siding, for which the branch is still used (occasionally)

Thanks for your welcomes by the way!

You beat me to it!

Last edited:

Saltleyman

There was another platform(station) at one time adjacent to London Road Bridge(south of Derby station) which all trains stopped at to have tickets examined,I don't know when this platform (station)was closed.

Mugby

Established Member
There was another platform(station) at one time adjacent to London Road Bridge(south of Derby station) which all trains stopped at to have tickets examined,I don't know when this platform (station)was closed.

Yes, that's the one I meant. I can remember seeing it, platform only, no buildings on it. It was less than a quarter of a mile from Derby Station itself. To stop incoming trains there for the purpose of examining tickets seems a strange thing to do, does anyone know the reason?

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Yes, that's the one I meant. I can remember seeing it, platform only, no buildings on it. It was less than a quarter of a mile from Derby Station itself. To stop incoming trains there for the purpose of examining tickets seems a strange thing to do, does anyone know the reason?

How long was the platform?

Saltleyman

I assume that Derby was an "open" station with no ticket checks at barriers & being an "interchange" station it was done to try and counteract fraudulent travel. The same thing occurred at Vauxhaul&Duddeston on the aproach to Birmingham New Street and no doubt at other locations.

Mugby

Established Member
Came across this...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17299/17299-h/17299-h.htm

The seventh paragraph of Chapter VII, Railway Progress, mentions this platform.

Having found the relevant bit, it muddies the water a little because it would appear that there were two 'ticket platforms' at Derby. The one I remember was on the west main, approaching from Birmingham. The one in the article states that it was on a bridge over a river, that would have been north of the station, on the approach from Chesterfield.

Obviously the writing dates from the time before corridor connections, so tickets couldn't be checked on train. It must have been frustrating for passengers though, to be held up just yards from Derby station while all tickets were checked!

Saltleyman

Having found the relevant bit, it muddies the water a little because it would appear that there were two 'ticket platforms' at Derby. The one I remember was on the west main, approaching from Birmingham. The one in the article states that it was on a bridge over a river, that would have been north of the station, on the approach from Chesterfield.

Obviously the writing dates from the time before corridor connections, so tickets couldn't be checked on train. It must have been frustrating for passengers though, to be held up just yards from Derby station while all tickets were checked!

There may well have been a "platform" North of Derby,but it may well refer to Nottingham Road Station which was also not far to the North of Derby.

Wyvern

Established Member
No

Nottingham Road was a station in its own right and wasnt opened till 1856. For many years it served Derby Racecourse which is now the cricket ground (why the pub is called the Grandstand)

There was initially a station and a small workshop somewhere near London Road which was used by the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway until the TriJunct (now Derby Midland ) station was opened) Those both disappeared. The Midland Counties Railway opened their own platform to the north of the present station and their workshop still exists next to the North Midland roundhouse which now forms the University complex.

THe line used by Ramsline Halt wich led to St. Andrews was built later by the LNWR to their own platform with preseumably the grudging acquiescence of the Midland. I believe NSR trains were allowed to run into the Midland's station.

However to get back to the point. It was normal practice to stop the trains before the station to inspect tickets. An alternative method was such as used by the Manchester and Leeds Railway where the guard passed down the train while it was moving using the external footboards checking tickets through the windows. This is described in Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll.

Attachments

• Through_the_Looking_Glass_Gentleman_dressed_in_paper.png
    Through_the_Looking_Glass_Gentleman_dressed_in_paper.png
    109.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.