• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby Platform 7 - Why isn't it used? (and other unused platforms)

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamf656

Since Derby had its redevelopment in 2018 and the introduction of Platform 7 I have only seen it used by passenger services a handful of times. Is there a genuine reason why this is, or is it just not necessary on a typical day?

We know of plenty of threads on other stations that have seldom-used platforms, I'd like to hear more in depth info and the reasoning behind some of them

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Someone will know the exact detailed technical reasons, but I think this has been asked before and it’s not fully protected by the signalling system against the risk of conflicting moves from the depot.

D365

Veteran Member
I'm not a signaller, but it's effectively a glorified reversing line that can be used in times of disruption. As you say, it isn't needed for the twice-hourly InterCity.

louis97

Established Member
Platform 7 isn't on a passenger line, the Pilot line is a goods line. As such special authorisation is required for its use. As has already been mentioned, its a goods line because there isn't adequate protection against a runaway from the depot. I strongly suspect had the platform face not been used during the remodelling work it would have no signage at all.

plugwash

Established Member
Stockport has a couple of little used platforms at the moment.

3A sees one passenger train per week during normal service, it's also used to terminate trains in times of disruption, i'm also seeing some workings to/from Newton Heath train maintainace depot, which I guess are crew training runs of some sort. It also seems to be used once a day for an empty coaching stock move to stockport carriage sidings. Generally the nature of stockport station as the converging point of multiple lines into Manchester means that terminus platforms are simply not very useful in regular service. It's also fairly small, I think it will fit most 4 car trains, but it won't fit a 6 car.

0 was fairly heavilly used before covid, but since covid i've only seen it used in times of disruption since (it appears trains are scheduled to use it, but get re-platformed on the day). It was always a bit of a white elephant, built in anticipation of a resignalling that never happened and while a third southbound platform is sometimes handy it's use is limited by the fact that there are still only two northbound platforms, and the access to platform 1 from the fast line is not very good.

Last edited:

Established Member
Since Derby had its redevelopment in 2018 and the introduction of Platform 7 I have only seen it used by passenger services a handful of times. Is there a genuine reason why this is, or is it just not necessary on a typical day?

We know of plenty of threads on other stations that have seldom-used platforms, I'd like to hear more in depth info and the reasoning behind some of them
Belive it is to do with flank protection. Typically I have only seen the platform used during disruption including a Cross Country 170 once.

jfollows

Established Member
Stockport has a couple of little used platforms at the moment.

0 was fairly heavilly used before covid, but since covid i've only seen it used in times of disruption since (it appears trains are scheduled to use it, but get re-platformed on the day). It was always a bit of a white elephant, built in anticipation of a resignalling that never happened and while a third southbound platform is sometimes handy it's use is limited by the fact that there are still only two northbound platforms, and the access to platform 1 from the fast line is not very good.
The access to platform 0 to/from the down fast is non-existent, I think that's what you meant to write, isn't it?

BeijingDave

Other unused platforms - 3 at Helsby (barely used now) and 4, which I don't think is used at all any more.

Xavi

Platform 1 at Exeter Central is only used at times of disruption, normally to terminate a Waterloo.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Platform 5 at Huddersfield barely gets any use, as the longest formation it can fit is a 2-car 150. The only Northern service currently running at that end of the station is the Bradford, which is almost always a 158. The Wakefield/Castleford used to use P5 but that's currently a peak-only bus.

zwk500

Veteran Member
There are, of course, all the fenced-off Fast line platforms on 4-track lines which see only occasional use during periods of 2-track operation.

Milton Keynes Central has a 5-car Bay platform that I don't think has ever seen regular use, as WCML services are normally 8- or 12-car. IIRC it was built with the intention that the Marston Vale could be extended but it never happened. It does sometimes get trains in it during disruption or if additional trains are scheduled, subject to length. However I believe EWR Oxford-MK services will finally make use of it.

Southampton Central has a siding that is sometimes referred to as Platform 5. However it's below standard for passenger use in several ways and is only used to stable empty stock when required. If the reopening to passengers of the Waterside line to Hythe goes ahead then Platform 5 will probably be brought back into use.

InTheEastMids

Other - Wellingborough Platform 3. This is because EMR Connect services need to use the fast lines from Bedford to Wellingborough (which goes through P1) as the slows are a lot slower. However, there's no move from the Down Fast to the Down Slow at Wellingborough South Junction, so all stoppers use P1 and then switch to the slows at one of the 3 junctions between Wellingborough station and Kettering.

(London bound trains typically call at P4 before switching to the fasts at Wellingborough South)

plugwash

Established Member
The access to platform 0 to/from the down fast is non-existent, I think that's what you meant to write, isn't it?
Indeed it is, but that is not IMO the biggest issue.

My understanding is that.

Platform 0 is only connected to the down slow.
Platform 1 is connected to both the down slow and down fast, but it's connection from the down slow is considerbally better than it's connectoin from the down fast. I believe the viaduct constratins the junctoin geometry on the appeoach.
The north end of platform 2 is only connected to the down fast, though there is a cut across a couple of signalling blcoks north of the staiion. The south end of platform 2 connects to both slow and fast lines.
None of the platforms are bi-directional, southbound trains must use platforms 0-2 while northbound must use 3 and 4. Trains that have arrived from the north and want to return to the north can reverse in 1 or 3A, trains that arrive from the south and want to return to the south must make a shunt move.

Put all of this together, and though stockport has five through platforms, the fifth one brings very little benefit. There is an argument that from a train operations point of view it would be best to mostly use 0 and 2 and keep 1 as a spare but that is inconvinant for passengers and station staff and since Covid they seem to have preffered to leave 0 out of use..

zwk500

Veteran Member
None of the platforms are bi-directional, southbound trains must use platforms 0-2 while northbound must use 3 and 4. Trains that have arrived from the north and want to return to the north can reverse in 1 or 3A, trains that arrive from the south and want to return to the south must make a shunt move.
How often is this a problem? Trains wouldn't ordinarily terminate at Stockport in either direction.

Llandudno

Established Member
Chesterfield bi-directional platform 3 only used in times of disruption or engineering blockades.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Milton Keynes Central has a 5-car Bay platform that I don't think has ever seen regular use, as WCML services are normally 8- or 12-car.

It's Platform 2A.
I've caught a Southern train from there and it didn't seem unusual at the time. I nearly missed it because I interpreted the signs for 2A as meaning the South end of Platform 2. Because it is short, 2A is not particularly noticeable from Platform 2, it looks like the South end of Platform 1, if that makes sense.

Platform 5 at Northampton is a sort of island with a track on the other side, though rusted and never used (I think I can remember correctly)

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Crewe platform 2

Also Crewe platform 12, but I think that does get a little more use during disruption and for specials?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Crewe platform 2

Also Crewe platform 12, but I think that does get a little more use during disruption and for specials?
Crewe platforms 12 certainly gets used a lot for specials, there used to be an occasional Chester/Holyhead in it but not sure if that's stopped with the current service pattern. It's also used during blocks as there's level access to the car park for the RRBs

pompeyfan

Established Member
If we’re talking about easy wins I get the impression it would cost relatively little but provide significant flexibility to bring both Southampton P5 and Salisbury P5 back into traffic. I believe the majority of the work would be to convert the ground position signals to main aspects, install TPWS- and upgrade the buffer stops. (Salisbury P1 would also be beneficial but again there is no protection against the depot).

zwk500

Veteran Member
If we’re talking about easy wins I get the impression it would cost relatively little but provide significant flexibility to bring both Southampton P5 and Salisbury P5 back into traffic. I believe the majority of the work would be to convert the ground position signals to main aspects, install TPWS- and upgrade the buffer stops. (Salisbury P1 would also be beneficial but again there is no protection against the depot).
Not sure about Salisbury but So'ton would need the platform edge rebuilding and train detection installing as well as TPWS etc. Also it'd need conversion of all the signalled routes into the bay to be main aspect routes not PL indications. An all line block of the West end of Southampton Central is pricey.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Crewe platforms 12 certainly gets used a lot for specials, there used to be an occasional Chester/Holyhead in it but not sure if that's stopped with the current service pattern. It's also used during blocks as there's level access to the car park for the RRBs

Platform 12 gets some use at the start/end of the day

Thanks. I assumed that would probably be the case.

Platform 2 on the other hand...:lol:

Towers

Established Member
Guildford has an unused platform face, also numbered 7. In this case it's a single line with platform faces both sides (6 and 7), and being DC the juice rail is situation on the number 7 side, rendering it unsafe for passenger use. Interestingly though, the edge is not fenced off, exposing passengers on the platform to a higher risk than usual at DC line stations. As an aside, are there any/many other DC platforms with the juice rail immediately adjacent to the platform edge?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Guildford has an unused platform face, also numbered 7. In this case it's a single line with platform faces both sides (6 and 7), and being DC the juice rail is situation on the number 7 side, rendering it unsafe for passenger use. Interestingly though, the edge is not fenced off, exposing passengers on the platform to a higher risk than usual at DC line stations. As an aside, are there any/many other DC platforms with the juice rail immediately adjacent to the platform edge?
Norwood Junction
Formally at Ascot (now fenced off)

Bill57p9

Oban platform 4 - as far as I am aware, only used for ECS when 2 trains end up in Oban at the same time, which is unusual especially in passenger service (RHTT uses it and possibly to stable the stock from the summer Sunday Edinburgh turn)

BeijingDave

Penrith platform 3 rarely has booked trains. It changes from timetable to timetable, but it's usually been zero or 1 in recent years except when there's disruption.

Wrexham General Platform 3 is only normally booked for a couple of trains a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.