• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby suburbs to Manchester ticket combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skymonster

Established Member
Hi all, just a bit of guidance / reassurance required please…

I need to do day return travel from the suburbs of Derby to Manchester tomorrow (Saturday) and want to use the train.

I can get a £13.40 Derbyshire Wayfarer that covers both the local buses in Derby (home to the station and vv) and the train as far as Chinley. I can also obtain a Chinley - Manchester Picc off-peak day return for £10.40. Total trip cost £23.80 - that’s more than a tenner less than a Derby-Manchester off peak day return and a local bus ticket in Derby.

Now, while I’m generally OK with the above I really would prefer the option of using TPE between Sheffield and Manchester as its quicker, more comfortable and [IME] less crowded than the Northern option - I’m not even prepared to consider EMR! I presume that the conditions of the NRCoT (14.2) and the Derbyshire Wayfarer, being a Rover, allow me to use TPE as these services pass through Chinley even though they do not stop there? I would appreciate confirmation.

The conditions for the Derbyshire Wayfarer say “You can also use your Derbyshire Wayfarer to make some trips to and from some places outside the county as long as the journey starts or finishes in Derbyshire, including… Sheffield”. My rail journey starts in Derbyshire and only passes through Sheffield (albeit with a connection) - I’m just a bit concerned about the bit that says a journey on the Wayfarer needs to start or end in Derbyshire, and the TPE travel alone will do neither. Again, I would appreciate confirmation.

Thanks in anticipation…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
You’re fine to do that, I’ve done it before on (what was) EMT, and TPE. Personally, I’d have a copy of the NRCoT downloaded to your phone to keep handy in case staff are unaware or try to argue about it. Once you get past Dore, phone signal is very patchy until Chinley

_toommm_

Established Member
Thanks @_toommm_ - your input is reassuring

Ive only had two issues with using 14.2 in the past. One TPE guard who just believed me when I explained, and another TPE guard who ‘let me off this time’ (combining a GM Countycard with a ticket from Greenfield). Should all be good, as I believe the combination you’re using is fairly common.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's perfectly permitted - a Derbyshire Wayfarer is a ranger ticket and therefore falls within NRCoT 14.2.

In the unlikely event of any difficulties, if you can't convince the guard it's valid, it's probably wisest to pay what they ask for and claim it back afterwards.

APT618S

Personally, I’d have a copy of the NRCoT downloaded to your phone to keep handy in case staff are unaware or try to argue about it.
Whilst I have not done the specific split mentioned I do carry a paper copy of the specific section of the NRCoT in case of challenges. It was years ago (in fact when it was the old NRCoC) that I last had to show it to a guard who then accepted my tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.