• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derbyshire burial records- Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw

Veteran Member
A completely off topic subject, but one I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help with, based on the wide knowledge base here.

My wife is trying to find the cemetery where her grandparents are buried. We know its in Derbyshire, and we are in that area for a few days next month, so she would love to visit and place some flowers on her grandparents grave. There is no living family except her dad who sadly has dementia so no relatives to enquire from.

I've found many other counties burial and cemetery records online, but am drawing blanks with Derbyshire.

I have names, dates of deaths, and for her gran last address.

Gran died in Feb 1993, granddad in the 70s,

Can anyone help please, or point me in the direction of someone who can?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
A completely off topic subject, but one I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help with, based on the wide knowledge base here.

My wife is trying to find the cemetery where her grandparents are buried. We know its in Derbyshire, and we are in that area for a few days next month, so she would love to visit and place some flowers on her grandparents grave. There is no living family except her dad who sadly has dementia so no relatives to enquire from.

I've found many other counties burial and cemetery records online, but am drawing blanks with Derbyshire.

Thanks in advance
Do you have their 70s address?

backontrack

Established Member
Your grandfather-in-law was probably buried near where his last address was, and we know that he is buried with his wife. Maybe you could put the town of the address into Google Maps and try to find a cemetery nearby?

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks. I might be onto something. I've found in father in laws possessions a headstone order form for placement into St Marys Cemetery, Stretton. The dates line up to not long after she died. That will be 50% of the mystery solved!

CarlSilva

A mate of mine made a similar enquiry last year, (not round there though) and he was told it's the district council you have to ask. (Can't promise on the accuracy of this !)

RichmondCommu

Established Member

Thanks in advance

There used to be a reference library in Derby at the top of Iron Gate which is near the Cathedral and I would suggest that it might be a good starting point. It's many years since I lived in Derbyshire but I would be very surprised if it has closed.

Having spoken to my Mum who still lives in Derbyshire try South Derbyshire District Council :)

Or try www.deceasedonline.co.uk

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Thanks. I might be onto something. I've found in father in laws possessions a headstone order form for placement into St Marys Cemetery, Stretton. The dates line up to not long after she died. That will be 50% of the mystery solved!

You're welcome :smile:

Welshman

Established Member

In my experience, the local parish council [if still in existence] retains the burial authority, so a good start may be to approach the clerk with a view to inspecting the burial records.

I see there is still a Stretton Parish Council:-

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/counc...h_councils/parish_clerk_directory/north_east_

richw

Veteran Member
I've a succesfull lead on her grandfather, not burial location but have found a newspaper archive, and know the church where his funeral was held, and the funeral director who is still in existence at the same address according to google.
His funeral was at St Johns church in Newbold.

I may also try emailing the church as they have a website and email and he could be buried in the church yard.

Regarding wife's gran we've found a definite plot, I've found a second letter from the headstone company confirming the plot they've placed the stone on and some Polaroid photos of it.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I've a succesfull lead on her grandfather, not burial location but have found a newspaper archive, and know the church where his funeral was held, and the funeral director who is still in existence at the same address according to google.
His funeral was at St Johns church in Newbold.

I may also try emailing the church as they have a website and email and he could be buried in the church yard.

Regarding wife's gran we've found a definite plot, I've found a second letter from the headstone company confirming the plot they've placed the stone on and some Polaroid photos of it.

Well that is good news!

Off topic here but you might also be interested to know that Sir Nigel Gresley is buried in the locality.

Welshman

Established Member
Sorry, but you're confusing me now. :D

You found a receipt for the placing of a headstone in St Mary's Cemetery, Stretton, so why would he be buried in Newbold churchyard?

richw

Veteran Member
Sorry, but you're confusing me now. :D

You found a receipt for the placing of a headstone in St Mary's Cemetery, Stretton, so why would he be buried in Newbold churchyard?

The receipt is for the gran. Grandad is still a mystery albeit with some leads.

richw

Veteran Member
Pleased to report we've now found him, and he has a plot in chesterfield crematorium. The crematorium has been able to supply us a plot number.

We were led to believe he'd been buried but after drawing lots of blanks, I speculatively phoned the crematorium and they put me on hold and was able to find him on their records

Status
Not open for further replies.