• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derbyshire Wayfarer validity

MadMarsupial

More developments re the Derbyshire Wayfarer.
First the scratch card Wayfarer tickets are still available from Tourist Information Offices ( TIO ) and I bought one today. However, I was told they going over to a "smartcard" cost £1 - they had the cards but no leaflet yet to explain. The Derbyshire CC website https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/trans...rer/the-derbyshire-wayfarer-rover-ticket.aspx
refers you to the Travel Master website. https://www.sytravelmaster.com/
The Travel Master website indicates that their standard "smartcard" can be used to buy Wayfarers but you can buy a special Derbyshire "smartcard" with a pretty piccy of Derbyshire on it - which presumably was what Buxton TIO had. However, the Travel Master website makes it clear that only the bus only Wayfarer can be purchased from them.
There hasn't been any publicity about this but it looks like the Bus Wayfarer can be bought using Travel Master but it is still scratch card only for the train ticket. Also the TIO cannot add credit to the "smart card". Not easy to work out what is going on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
I notice the latest update of the Derbyshire CC website states that tickets cannot be bought on-board trains or from station ticket machines whereas I believe both are possible (I think only from Northern TVMs in the latter case though) ........ unless something has changed recently - can anyone confirm ?

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I notice the latest update of the Derbyshire CC website states that tickets cannot be bought on-board trains or from station ticket machines whereas I believe both are possible (I think only from Northern TVMs in the latter case though) ........ unless something has changed recently - can anyone confirm ?
Perfectly possible to still be issued from on-board TIS yes.

MadMarsupial

Based on a sample size of 1 ( Glossop Station Ticket Machine - which I know isn't even covered by the Wayfarer ) Northern TVMs are still selling the train Wayfarer. All species were available i.e. standard, senior/concessionary, group and even the Nottingham inclusive Wayfarer.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I notice the latest update of the Derbyshire CC website states that tickets cannot be bought on-board trains or from station ticket machines whereas I believe both are possible (I think only from Northern TVMs in the latter case though)
It may be felt that it's best to say this (about ticket machines) to avoid confusion, with much of the area not having Northern TVMs.

tram21

Hello,

I'm hoping to buy a (group) Derbyshire Wayfarer on Sunday starting from Alfreton, but the ticket office opens after my first train- am I correct in thinking that I need to buy a single for all passengers for the first section of my journey (Alfreton to Sheffield) from the TVM, and then buy the wayfarer from the guard or easier, the ticket office at Sheffield, where I will get my single 'refunded' in exchange for a Wayfarer?

LowLevel

Established Member
Hello,

I'm hoping to buy a (group) Derbyshire Wayfarer on Sunday starting from Alfreton, but the ticket office opens after my first train- am I correct in thinking that I need to buy a single for all passengers for the first section of my journey (Alfreton to Sheffield) from the TVM, and then buy the wayfarer from the guard or easier, the ticket office at Sheffield, where I will get my single 'refunded' in exchange for a Wayfarer?
Just ask the guard on boarding if they can sell you a group wayfarer, and if for any reason they can't get it at Sheffield. Getting part payment of tickets refunded is more hassle than it's worth.

The code on an onboard machine is WAZ for the group version to make life a bit easier for you.

unlevel42

Hello,

Get on a bus on Sunday, buy, and get off.

Go to one of these on Saturday and buy in advance
  • tourist information centres in Bakewell, Buxton, Castleton, Chesterfield, Derby, Edale and Swadlincote
  • the bus travel office at Derby Bus Station
  • New Mills Heritage Centre
  • Redfern's Cottage Museum, Uttoxeter
  • libraries in Alfreton, Ashbourne, Belper, Dronfield, Glossop, Heanor, Ilkeston, Long Eaton, Matlock, Melbourne, Swadlincote

tram21

libraries in Alfreton, Ashbourne, Belper, Dronfield, Glossop, Heanor, Ilkeston, Long Eaton, Matlock, Melbourne, Swadlincote
Thank you- does anyone have any experience of buying a wayfarer from a Derbyshire library? Is it straightforward?

Llandudno

Established Member
Thank you- does anyone have any experience of buying a wayfarer from a Derbyshire library? Is it straightforward?
Yes it is straightforward buying them from a library, but some libraries are cash only….!